Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race of Champions?

Race of Champions national cup

this was aired on speed on the 12th, and just saw a bit of it, but had a distinct feeling of drift to it. Its a 1 on 1 race between Rally and Race drivers to see hows the best. I have yet to find any good video of it but it was interesting.

Whats your opinion on this?

For more info check out
    www.raceofchampions.com

Watched it with my brothers, and it's a perfect demonstration of many driving styles and techniques, including drifting.

And what's more, it's one of the few times where the world's best drivers get together and let it all hang out for the heck of it. In particular, seeing Casey Mears do as well as he did until gearbox trouble took him out of the running, as well as seeing Jean Alesi tear-assing around the stadium circuit in the 360 Modena were highlights to me.

And, honestly, I think this is the sort of thing Rhys Millen was talking about when he mentioned in that magazine article way back when he said drifting would benefit from being a stadium sport.

Comment

That was ROCKEN when Shumaker destroyed the windshield on that Modena when he went over the bridge thing too fast. I saw that on a highlight reel.

Comment

Looks real badfackanass, too bad its gotta be in france.

I love the way the track as an arena is setup, lol they stole my idea from 17 years ago.
        We need one of those here for sure! Hopefully someone will find some downloadable vidlinks to share.

I dont know about this tho... "France, The World's Fastest Nation"
        Aren't they a Country?
        Last edited by OH240SE; 12-27-2004, 03:09 PM.

Comment

"The 2004 Race of Champions-Nations Cup – the motorsports equivalent of soccer's World Cup – is set to draw the attention of fans from every major racing series in the world to Paris, France on December 4 th , 2004. This year's competition marks the first year that the points leaders from the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup, Formula One and the World Rally Championship will come together to battle for their country's right to claim they are “the World's Fastest Nation.”

Today, at California Speedway, NEXTEL Cup points leader Jeff Gordon and second place driver Jimmie Johnson, running just 24 points behind Gordon, announced that they will lead Team USA's effort to reclaim the ROC Nations Cup.

Gordon and Johnson are intimately familiar with the challenge the ROC Nations Cup presents, having both been on the 2002 winning team that claimed the first Cup ever for the U.S. The ROC Nations Cup offers the ultimate test of a driver's skills, and is the only opportunity for racers from different countries and disciplines of motorsports to compete in equal machinery and on an equal track. Four-time NASCAR Champion Gordon and 10-time NASCAR Cup Series race winner Johnson are attempting to capture the United States' second Nations Cup title, but it will not be an easy task considering the stiff competition that includes seven-time Formula One Champ Michael Schumacher driving for Germany and current World Rally Championship leader Sebastien Loeb behind the wheel for France.

“In this Olympic year, this is our chance to compete for our country,” said Gordon, driver of the No. 24 DuPont Chevrolet in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series. “The atmosphere surrounding the event is relaxed and fun, but every driver who straps on a helmet wants to win. In this case, we want to win for ourselves and for our country.”

“Jeff (Gordon), Colin (Edwards) and I had a blast in 2002 and when the opportunity presented itself for Jeff and me to go back and compete for Team USA, we just couldn't pass it up,” said Johnson, driver of the No. 48 Lowe's Chevrolet in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series. “Fredrik (Johnsson, president of International Media Productions) continues to bring together the best drivers in the world. We're looking forward to the challenge and we hope to regain the Nation's Cup.”

“This event has the opportunity to become a point of international focus without parallel in motorsports, and its potential for growth in the U.S. is remarkable,” said Jim Hancock, event promoter in the U.S. “With Gordon and Johnson on board, the 75 million fans of NASCAR now have the chance to see their best drivers go head-to-head with the world's best.”

Immediately following this year's NASCAR banquet, Gordon and Johnson will board a plane provided by Learjet, Inc, a subsidiary of Bombardier, Inc. and travel to Paris, France for the competition. “We are very proud to be playing a role in these great athletes' effort to recapture the title they first won for the United States in 2002,” said Dana Arnold of Learjet.

At the ROC Nations Cup, teams are eliminated based on the number of heat wins and combined time (in the event of a draw). In every match, racers go head-to-head against their counterparts, resulting in extremely close action and finishes often separated by only fractions of a second. The team emerging from Saturday's final lays claim to "the World's Fastest Nation" title. "

SOUNDS FUN!!! This is what I would like to see here in the US of A.

Last edited by vigvoodoo; 12-27-2004, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Good job vigvoodoo,

Comment

Working...
            X