RX-7 Pros & Cons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RX-7 Pros & Cons?

Yo, what exactly are the downsides and upsides to the 3rd-Gen RX-7??? I've heard that bad oversteer and spinning out are very common. Are there any poor parts that should be changed before used???

Also, off topic from the RX-7, what kind of tires are better for drift learning? Grippier or gripless? Cheap or midclass???

I appreciate your help

Downsides of the fd are it being a rotary with twin turbos. Rotaries on their own are fine, but they dont like heat too much, adda turbo or two of them and youll run into problems.

You can replace some of the hoses/tubing/whatever inside for somethign that will stand up to heat- also id want to upgrade the radiator and intercooler of course for better heat. Maybe a different hood with soem kind of scoop or whatever so the air inside can move easier- etc.. heat is your biggest enemy with them.

Despite how you take care of them though your apex seals or whatever seal (oil seal, housing seal, etc) will start to go around 100,000 miles depending on how you maintained the thing and it was maintained before you got it. some times as low as 60,000- ive heard as high as 140,000 and still going strong however.

Another downside is the price, being a pretty damn good sports car insurance isnt cheap, add to the fact its twin turbo and your going to be feeling it in your wallet. How old are you anyways? 18 21 and 25 years of age will see different insurance prices.

Never heard of serious oversteer problems, even while riding around in one the oversteer was pretty good- spinning out and horrid oversteer is going to be driver error- so dont be a dumb *Censored**Censored**Censored* with this type of machine.

Lastly as for tires- id get some grippy tires. Falkens or yokohamas, whatever you can afford. i HIGHLY reccomend you actually learn how to brake properly, take and hold a line- how early mid or late apexs can affect your time, etc. Learn to control the car near its limits before you start pushing the limits- i cant stand the amount of people i see rush right into drifting who cant even hold a decent line. Learning the cars limits and then going into drifting will make the learning process much easier and faster; resulting in a much better driver. take it to soem autox events before you try to drift it.

Comment

Wow DUDE! Thanks!! So much detail and effort, i appreciate it...

Comment

There are little things that you also have to watch out for. One is rear end hop. The FD's use a drivetrain brace much like a Camaro. The trans supports the rear end basically. When doing burn outs or sliding, the rear end can hop up and down. Do this too much and you will break it. Little things on the FDs can be a challenge. Say the fuel filter. Whoo hoo what a fun one that is.

So unless you are either a hell on wheels Rotary mechanic or just have a lot of money, steer away from them. My FD's were the most awesome cars I have ever owned. They were also both radically different. My first 93 had 142,000 miles on it and had the original engine, turbos, harness. It was also an auto and owned by an old lady. While that makes a difference on most cars, it doesn't with a Rotary since not driving the car correctly can really hurt it as much as driving the poo out of it. I just got lucky.

My second one has been through 4 engines in 102,000 miles. It also made 380 at the flywheel where as the first one was basically stock cept for a catback. I just god rid of my 2nd one. Traded the chassis for an S14.

They can be built to make large horsepower reliably. Everyone has a friend on here that has one thats built and is lasting. Funny that you always get people whos "Friend" has a built one. Hardly ever do you hear from the actual person. But is can be done with a wallet full of money for the actual build and another spare wallet for the constant tuning that it will require if you can't do it yourself. The main reason for people not getting Rotaries is lack of knowledge.

Comment

whats funny about having a "FRIEND" is true. I have 2 friends who drag FD's. One made 736hp on stock seals and a very large street port, and the other made over 500hp, ran a 10.7 and drove it to and and from the track for 2 years before he sold it. As for me well i have a excuse....i have a FC

Comment

Are there any better alternatives to the RX-7 that are affordable...I'm guessing S13s or S14s??? AE86s are hard to find...I've been searching ebay a while now. I need suggestions!

Comment

I'd go for an S13 or an S14. AE86 prices are getting so high because of Initial D fanboys and such, and for the money you would pay for one in good shape, unless you're really just into them, you would probably be disappointed. *No offence to all you hachiroku drivers. Im not trying to start a flame.

Comment

Nah i love mine to death but it is slow, 140ish hp with some bolt ons is DAMN fun and all but only goes so far. its for love of the car or else it would be gone.

I agree with the above fully, 240s are cheaper have good aftermarket tend to be in great condition and are reliable. if you have the money, are willing to do the research- then the fd is a GREAT machine.

Comment

How much do Silvias cost in price and add up in quality against the HachiRokus and RX-7s??? If a Hachi is more expensive but better in quality than the S13/14, I'd get the hachi...same goes with the RX-7...

Comment

3rd gens arent cheap. Parts arent cheap and fixing them isnt cheap either. Thats why im getting myself a 2nd gen FC.

Comment

Originally posted by xRAGEx
                      How much do Silvias cost in price and add up in quality against the HachiRokus and RX-7s??? If a Hachi is more expensive but better in quality than the S13/14, I'd get the hachi...same goes with the RX-7...
                      Hachirokus are rare these days. Especially on the east coast. Alot of times people dont know what they've got when they have one, and they don't take care of it the way they should. You really probably should go for the 240, because from the sounds of it you're kinda new to drifting. 240's have wide aftermarket support, if you break something it will be easy to replace, and they're pretty cheap. But if you have the money, get the FD. Most of the time they're in great condition, but before you buy one, ask the seller questions about how often he changes the oil, does it overheat or smoke, and does it idle rough, and test drive it if possible. If you do get it, just be careful with it, change the oil very often, and do all the necessary cooling modifications, and it will save you some money in the long run.

Comment

cool, so its RX-7, then Silvia, then hachi...ok, good stuff. thanx

Comment

if i were you i would go 240, 86, then FD thats what my list would be.

Comment

Id prefer the fd over the 240 granted -if- i had the money

Comment

i myself would prefer the fd over the 240 also, but i was trying to point him in the right direction, since it prolly the best starter car for the price.

Comment

Working...
                              X