Question for the pros.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the pros.

This question is for all the pros (Alex, Jr., Chris, etc.). I would like you guys to elaborate on a quote made by Dan Gurney on a TV interview.

"At first, I crashed alot and wasn't very good, but as I learned the talent came."

My question is this: If you don't have alot of natural talent to start with, can you become a good driver through practice and learning?

Re: Question for the pros.

Originally posted by Tsunami
    This question is for all the pros (Alex, Jr., Chris, etc.). I would like you guys to elaborate on a quote made by Dan Gurney on a TV interview.

"At first, I crashed alot and wasn't very good, but as I learned the talent came."

My question is this: If you don't have alot of natural talent to start with, can you become a good driver through practice and learning?
    The answer to your question is HELL yes!!!

None of us were born knowing how to do this. Some of us got our skills from motorsports (Car racing, Motorcross, goofing around, ETC) and others are good just because they fell in love with the sport and went out and started practicing and learning from others. To be honest if you wanna get good and compete Practice Practice practice, Learn by watching and learn by asking others. However drifting is not about being good or winning competitions it is about having fun and throwing your own style and personality into your driving. If you are having fun you are good!!!

One thing I have learned in my life if you dedicate you can do ANYTHING you put your mind to. Don't EVER let anyone tell you different and if they do use their negative energy to prove them wrong.

Later,

JR
    www.driftalliance.com
    TEAM FALKEN

Comment

I dunno, I havent crashed. But I say that what doesnt kill you makes you stronger?? you just learn from your misstakes. I am sure after you crash doing one thing, are you going to do it again?? nope

Comment

Originally posted by GranMastrDrift
        I dunno, I havent crashed. But I say that what doesnt kill you makes you stronger?? you just learn from your misstakes. I am sure after you crash doing one thing, are you going to do it again?? nope
        uh, speak for yourself, i have crashed the same way multiple times thank you very much. seriously though, its all about just going out there and practicing, you'll learn.

Comment

Originally posted by J-BloodAE86
          uh, speak for yourself, i have crashed the same way multiple times thank you very much. seriously though, its all about just going out there and practicing, you'll learn.
          i senond that
          1 crash learned
          1 time- too fast around a corner trying to grip = understeer= hitting a curb and having to tow your car back to sd to fix it
          2nd time- to fast around a turn tyinh to grip = understeer= through some bushes ( no curb thank god), a fence and into a park or someones front yard = really friggen scraed and a snail stuck on my windsheiild from the bushes

Comment

i dont know why i posted in this thread, i am obviously not a pro. sorry

Comment

Sorry to hear, I guess not everyone has the same experiances

Comment

I'm no Pro, so not sure if you want an answer frome me, but I think crashing is just a part of drifting. I cant say that everyone I know that drifts has cashed, but it does happen to alot of people. I'd say the majority have crashed at one point or another. I dont think its a bad thing to crash unless it happens over and over. As long as you learned a lesson then it was worth it. I mean, you gotta push your limits to get better, and sometimes its just a little too crazy to handle. I remember reading or hearing about Komatsu (Drifter X) somewhere where he says something along the lines of "sometimes building the confidence to try something new for the first time is harder than drifting itself." I think this really holds true when you talk about higher speed drifting. Eventually you're gonna up the speeds and try something you haven't done before, and thats how you get better. Komatsu is still the craziest drifter I have ever seen, nobody else has entered turns sideways at 100+mph on our track (well, that I've seen anyway). I heard he crashed alot of 240's in the past, but I think it was all worth it after seeing him drift. I was very very impressed!!! That guy is crazy!

Comment

Its like Skateboarding. Practice, develope your own style and you'll blossom into a little Drift flower.

Comment

If any of you have met me... you will probably notice that i am very clumbsy (sp?) and not too coordinated at all. When i first started driving manual cars when i was 16 i would jerk the wheel as i would shift the car into the next gear. No one is born a great driver, except Ken Gushi, hes a miracle!
                    www.chrisforsberg.com
                    www.driftalliance.com
                    www.nosdrift.com
                    www.hankooktireusa.com

Comment

For me, when i started, I did get brave and get into many small accidents. I think we all go threw a stage where you have to kinda learn what the car is capable of and what it does when you make a mistake. You yourself also goes threw a learning process on how to react to that, what are the mistakes your making, and expecially when you start loosing control of the car, Your reaction, or the way you try to save it, is what will keep you from going off the road.
                      BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer
                        For me, when i started, I did get brave and get into many small accidents. I think we all go threw a stage where you have to kinda learn what the car is capable of and what it does when you make a mistake. You yourself also goes threw a learning process on how to react to that, what are the mistakes your making, and expecially when you start loosing control of the car, Your reaction, or the way you try to save it, is what will keep you from going off the road.
                        Alex,

I think it was not many small accidents.

You crazy mofo. Loosing brakes on the hill and *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*. :rofl:

-Al

Comment

That was the first car i actually "crashed" and it wasnt my fault my brakes went out. Give me a break, that was 8 years after i started running touge. 8 years and only one totaled car? I think that is pretty damn good.
                          BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer
                            That was the first car i actually "crashed" and it wasnt my fault my brakes went out. Give me a break, that was 8 years after i started running touge. 8 years and only one totaled car? I think that is pretty damn good.
                            Paris was telling me that night.

Goodlord. I really thought you were going to crash my car that night at PM.

It happens.

-Al

Comment

Re: Question for the pros.

Originally posted by Tsunami

I think the most important thing is not talent, it is instead having good attitude and willingness to learn. Ask questions, watch videos (out-car/in-car), learn from the pros. I watch the same videos almost every night over and over again. Try to understand every moment they are making in the car, their lines, etc... To keep up with the competition now with minimal practice time (9-6 job + norcal = no practice), mental rehearsal is the only thing I could do. And crashing does not mean you will get good immediately. Till this day I am still analyzing my crash at Irwindale last February. I picture myself in that situation again and again to mentally prepare myself so I can react better than just locking up the wheels next time...

Anyway, Alex one total car on touge is one too many... hahaha :P
                              Hubert Young
                              KORE 8 Films

Comment

Working...
                              X