JGTC to become Super GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JGTC to become Super GT

In attempt to attract teams outside of Asia and to gain acknowledgement worldwide, the JGTC is to become Super GT.

http://www.supergt.net
    http://www.jgtc.net/

I'm pretty sure the races are to be held in Japan but I think the Cali event gives a chance at a broader range of tracks.
    Last edited by s0nny80y; 01-06-2005, 11:20 PM.

wheord yo.

Final round is @ California speedway once again.

Comment

unfortunetly no Aussie race

Comment

Not to mention unless Ratel and the FIA are throwing around some serious influence the series will still be a Japanese manufacturer benefit.

You know what I say? Strip off the "300" and "500" horsepower limits and make the rules PRODUCTION ENGINE/CHASSIS PAIRING. Factor in a minimum production run of 10,000 units IN THE COMPETING CONFIGURATION (so no, Nissan doesn't get away with producing a Nismo bodykit so that they can perform more radical body modifications and Honda doesn't get turbochargers for the NSX) and force stock body panels for hood, decklid, doors, and greenhouse and you'll have a real d@mn series.

Oh, wait, we already have that. Speed World Challenge and Grand Am Cup. Or for that matter, BTCC, Austrailian V8's, or FIA GT.

Screw JGTC. Until they remove the restrictions on "foreign" cars and allow for a level playing field, I'm not interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Octagon
          Not to mention unless Ratel and the FIA are throwing around some serious influence the series will still be a Japanese manufacturer benefit.

You know what I say? Strip off the "300" and "500" horsepower limits and make the rules PRODUCTION ENGINE/CHASSIS PAIRING. Factor in a minimum production run of 10,000 units IN THE COMPETING CONFIGURATION (so no, Nissan doesn't get away with producing a Nismo bodykit so that they can perform more radical body modifications and Honda doesn't get turbochargers for the NSX) and force stock body panels for hood, decklid, doors, and greenhouse and you'll have a real d@mn series.

Oh, wait, we already have that. Speed World Challenge and Grand Am Cup. Or for that matter, BTCC, Austrailian V8's, or FIA GT.

Screw JGTC. Until they remove the restrictions on "foreign" cars and allow for a level playing field, I'm not interested.
          Octagon I love all those series you mentioned, but I would like to see a series with stock blocks, stock supsension geometry and suspension mounting points, and stock supsension type (aka no live axles in irs cars). But still all those series are a heck of alot better than watching something with a non-stock motor and driveline configuration, and a body that looks nothing like the production car (aka Nascar).

What I'd love to see the most thoug is for Ferrari to come back to GTS. Even though the new Aston Martin is built by the same team, it's just not the same as being able to watch a couple of worlds greatest GT's clash. I'd love to see a C6R, M3GTR, 575M GTS, and a Nismo Z all going at it. One last thing: the C5R makes the most beautiful sound in known to man

Comment

After the McLaren F1 spanked them they imposed huge air restrictions so it could not compete.

Speed World Challenge rules but cause ITS JDM type yooo every ricer hypes it up JGTC YOO, so stupid USA got so much richer automotive race history, makes the jap racing look like a joke.

What happened with the world gt is it still hapening.

Where is the GTO that was shown at SEMA going to race.

Comment

The GTO that was shown at SEMA is a "Prep 2" car for the Grand Am Road Racing Association's GT class that will be racing at the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona on February 5th and 6th.

Oh, and Tsunami, wait 'til you hear the C6R. That thing is spooky fast and loud as all get out. Though I'm more anxious to see the Maserati MC12's put the hurting to the ALMS GTS field come Sebring time.

Although the ACO is being stingy with the maximum width rule and is debating letting the MC12 (which is currently smacking around Ferrari 575GTC's in FIA GT competition) into GTS.

Comment

Octagon, say something nice about JGTC.

Comment

Ok, think about it for a second here.
                  JGTC is the complete opposite of any old racing series out there (well IMO) which I guess makes it really unique.

Anyways...
                  How many spectators can you bring into a race event any given sunday?

in American LeMans, Rolex Series, Nascar; How many young/adult can relate to the cars that are on the track? I say not a lot, because they're all prototypes... Bringing a production class chassis to the track attracks more spectators, because they can recognize the cars that are on the track.

Now octagon, I know that you know your prototype cars but for an average spectators that aren't too "hardcore" into those things; if they see a prototype car and feel dumb because he/she didn't know who produced the car he/she see's, that person will never come back to the next event, which = to lower attendance.

Personally I like the JGTC requirements. Limit the HP and add weights to the cars as they win. Which create more drama and innovations.

Look at F1 Ferarri, they've dominated for almost a decade now and it's getting old. why are they winning (well I know 1 factor is the driver, but that's a different story)? They're all the same spec (well almost) across the board. Hell the McClaren makes more HP than the Ferrari (i think I'm quoting Mr. Hobbs himself on this one) but do you see it beating the Ferrari? NO. Now put some weights on that winner. The Ferrari team will be scratching their heads for more innovative ways to lighten up the car (eg; no turbo, even lighter engine components, etc).

Well my point is. Connecting the spectators to what they see on the track =s to a bigger Fan base (car/team/manufacturer) and more attendance on the next event.

If you think JGTC regulation is a joke, then that's your opinion.

REMEMBER: Racing is still a show just like any other sport.
                  Last edited by CRASHDRIVE; 01-12-2005, 10:46 AM.

Comment

This is the nicest thing I can say about JGTC - they race at Fuji.

Crashdrive, ALMS and Grand Am, and their European equivalents FIA GT, the British GT championship, Belgian PROCAR, and the LMES, are not purely "prototype" series.

In fact, the FIA GT did away with its prototype classes due to the LMES's existence and is now purely a GT1/GT2 class structured sanctioning body. But that's just one example.

JGTC is NOT production based racing, never kid yourself on that fact. The cars are clipped unibodies - semi-tube chassis one-offs with completely re-engineered suspensions and wholly unrelated drivetrains. If there was any relation to PRODUCTION 350Z's, Xanavi and Motul Pitwork wouldn't be racing this.

they'd be racing this.

or this

Not to mention NSX's wouldn't be turbocharged, Supras wouldn't use V8's, none of them would be using paddle shifted sequential gearboxes, and the list goes on and on.

We here stateside have figured out how to run a good road racing series with lots of manufacturer effort, excellent competition, and kept the cars from becoming overblown silohouette cartoons. We call it Speed World Challenge, or Grand Am Cup for that matter.

Comment

I like watching the jgtc when i get a chance, it has some of the nicest looking cars out there, and the racing is fun to watch. It also seems to have a lot more support in the japanese market than our road racing, something like our nascar here. I guess thats what I see, nascar with turns in both directions, with much cooler cars.

Compared to our road racing series, the jgtc is much more popular compared to the rest of the racing series in japan, but road racing takes a back seat in the US to nascar or drag racing. I think that leads to more sponsorships, and more money spent into the programs there.

I think its a fair system of having no restricitons on engine types, only on hp, it leads to innovative combinations of cars and engine, like when the supra used a turbocharged 3sg, but then swapped to the v8, im think for quicker response and more torque. If you are really sucessful, they weigh you down to give others a chance to win, I'm not a huge fan of that method, but it keeps it from one team being dominating the whole season, keeping it interesting.

I dont think it has anything to do with relating to the cars on the track though, I have yet to have the chance to own a nsx, 350z, skyline, supra, rx7, mrs, mclaren, ferrari, etc. Its mostly because they are dream cars, something we can all agree to wanting, and the looks that come with those cars, we would love to drive a car on the street that looks like that. When I look at the road racing cars in the us, im not as drawn in, they are a bit more bland without the massive body mods and wing and decals. Yes, they are asthetic, and decals have nothing to do with speed, it is still sex appeal that draws many in. Just look at the 350z above, I would choose the nismo car before the other two personally, and I'm sure many will agree with me.

Comment

come on octagon, one thing.

Comment

The cars Like the Supra and Skyline look good but no better the the Speed World Challenge Viper Caddy RS6, maybe you should watch it a couple of times.

Truth the JGTC is to much against non-jap cars to make it work as a world championship. The only non jap car in the JGTC GT500 was the McLaren F1 and they sure delt with it.

The JGTC gets 50,000 people but thats their biggest form of racing, for the Ausis its the V8 supercars, germany has the DTM blah blah blah yes it sucks Nascar is the big thing in the States.

You want to change that stop with the ricer BS civics that run 16s and you thing they 10 second cars and go to the track do a few laps left brake gas. Maybe you willl change the world lol.

Comment

Working...
                          X