HARD DRIVE Events?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HARD DRIVE Events?

Hey everyone. New to the forum, and have a question. Has any one heard of the "Hard Drive" events? I was looking at a flyer I got from gt live show at fontana a few weeks back, and checked out the site www.harddrivelive.com Looks like a sweet deal. Has anyone else heard/seen anything about these shows?

~ds

looks cool

Comment

looks cool it seems it'll never stop there is more and more drifting events in th states but i cant wait till i can actually attend one ! too bad they dont come towards montreal canada and stuf , but it might be worth a trip to miami lol

Comment

Yea that's soooooo freakin' cool

How bout opening the drifting up to regular guys like us!!!!!!!

I love reading all these threads like, "Oh I can't wait to get a sponsor". Well, how can we uless we compete? And to comete costs way too much. I understand Formula D rules, they're SCCA. So you need a suit, helmet, gloves, socks, etc. AND the car requires full roll-cage, race seat, and harnesses. But how bout having "run what you brung" grassroots events were the normal guys can compete, and hopefully make it up to Formula D. It's funny last year when FD started and proclaimed drifting for everyone, yet there are two factory backed teams competeing. Sorry, I just ain't biting.

Comment

I don't want to start this thread as another "American Drifting is sooo, blah, blah" while the "pro" defend their rights to compete.

Anyways... my question is.... How can we have a professional event/league while there was NO grassroot level that was established in the first place? It seems dumb to me.

Probably the only amatuer competition that I know off would be "DDC" (drift day competition) but even the cars in that event are sponsored. The Falken amatuer competition was also full of sponsored cars.

Again... HOW CAN WE HAVE A PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE WITHOUT AN ESTABLISHED GRASSROOT LEVEL?

and if a FD driver post here and state that they are not pro drivers because they are not being paid; Toshie(sp?) referred to you guys as "Pro" drivers.

Comment

This is that WDC deal that they were talking about in the past on the forums.

I still know nothing about it. Anyone from industry care to tell us?

Comment

Seems like there's too much competition in the drift world right now and not enough focus on driver development.

It's funny to see a "pro" league when there's little or no minor / amateur league. Also, since so many of the drivers say that they're not getting paid, it would be more accurate to call them "semi-pros" or "amateurs." But, suggest that to a driver and see if he'll demote himself to that level for the sake of accuracy.

I think competition is a great way for drivers to get good experience in drifting though. Someone can do perfect laps all day, but in competition, you're under pressure to perform on que.

Competition is good but, I don't think competition should be mandatory or even strongly encouraged. People will enter when they feel ready.

I think that in order to run competitions that are geared for amateurs, they should just run quick and easy contests with no prizes at amateur driver development days. Whoever wants to enter can. None of that tandem "tsuiso" stuff since most people don't have the skills or the gear to participate at that level yet.

It's also up to the drivers at these events to express their opinions and exert some peer pressure to let "pro" drivers know that participating in an amateur competition isn't quite right. The "pro" drivers should have more sense and class than that anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuner
                Yea that's soooooo freakin' cool

How bout opening the drifting up to regular guys like us!!!!!!!

I love reading all these threads like, "Oh I can't wait to get a sponsor". Well, how can we uless we compete? And to comete costs way too much. I understand Formula D rules, they're SCCA. So you need a suit, helmet, gloves, socks, etc. AND the car requires full roll-cage, race seat, and harnesses. But how bout having "run what you brung" grassroots events were the normal guys can compete, and hopefully make it up to Formula D. It's funny last year when FD started and proclaimed drifting for everyone, yet there are two factory backed teams competeing. Sorry, I just ain't biting.
                Me, myself, as a privateer, built my S14 with the help of Motorsport Dynamics. Even the help, I spent quite a bit of money on it. I went to SEMA to meet people. I worked hard to get sponsorships. I just want you guys to know I came a long way to be one of the top runners. It didn't happen overnight and it didn't happen accidentally. So my point is you are NOT going to get sponsored if you just sit at home and read forums. Do yourself a budget, build a car, and go out and practice!

Factory backed teams participanting is irrelevant to what FD proclaimed. The competition is still open to anyone. You enter and you get to run on the main event day with spectators.

I don't mean to be harsh but stop whinning at home and take action to make things happen. Nothing is impossible if you put your heart to it. If you love drifting, it's all worth it.
                Hubert Young
                KORE 8 Films

Comment

Hubert,
                  Techinically FD does invite privateered teams to the track, but it's not really comforting to see/feel that little 'ol' me is about to tandem with a sponsored/factory backed (400+hp) car vs my 150 or less hp 86 POS. In actuality I can pass the SCCA regulations (I just need the rollcage) and I can afford the entry fee and my suspension is tuned to my liking ...but daing, I'll be left out before the tandem start ^_^.
                  Last edited by CRASHDRIVE; 01-12-2005, 11:17 AM.

Comment

With all respect Hubert, I am inspired on what you have accomplished. What bothers me is to see these series where you don't see "the little guy". Sponsorship is not the issue. Why not have a series for regular guys, that coincides with FD? Or specific classes for cars, a la SCCA autocrosses? I am soo close to throwing a cage in my car, and going to Drift Atlanta. But for what, to be knocked out by a "pro"? We don't have the means to be successful.

Comment

scca is interested in drift events but they are kinda small minded about it, they largly seem to think that all of us are going to be drifting like the pros. I tried to explain to scca up here that a gymkhana (sp? ) doesnt intail 60+mph hours drifts/speeds. Sadly it fell on deaf ears.

Comment

With all respect Hubert, I am inspired on what you have accomplished. What bothers me is to see these series where you don't see "the little guy". Sponsorship is not the issue. Why not have a series for regular guys, that coincides with FD? Or specific classes for cars, a la SCCA autocrosses? I am soo close to throwing a cage in my car, and going to Drift Atlanta. But for what, to be knocked out by a "pro"? We don't have the means to be successful.
                        Thanks for the props... yes, I know what you mean. However, you got to understand Formula D's vision; they are trying to be the top series here in America. And it is really important that we have a "pro" series (in no way I consider myself pro since I don't get paid :P) for drifting to be well accepted by the general public and the racing community. Drifting would not have gotten to this level today without Formula D. And Formula D is still open to anyone who believe they have what it takes to hang with the factory backed teams and the "pros"!! Who knows, the next guy on the podium might be anyone of us. It's a fair game.

As for the amateurs: Club 4AG, Falken Drift Showoff and DG Trialis have been doing a good job in hosting amateur level drifting competitions/practice events. These events may not be in your backyard or anywhere close to you but they are out there and there are more drift practices/competitions than ever in 2005! Falken is throwing Drift Showoff with competition around the country including Vancouver, Maryland, Hawaii, Houston and Colorado (source: www.driftday.com). I also heard that RSR will again host their Drift Festival in Chicago this year. Of course, Club 4AG will continue to host their Drift Days in Southern California. And drivers who do good in these events will be noticed. In fact, I heard there are a lot of shops forming drift teams this year and there are actually more drift cars available than good drivers. So go out there at the drift events and kick some a$$.

Sorry a little off topic. I do have an opinion relateing to the topic: There are a few WDC rounds conflicting with Formula D. I really don't know how it is going to work out. I will run Formula D as priority and run as many WDC as I can I guess. Hope the two series can work something out to avoid the date conflicts.
                        Last edited by Hubert Young; 01-12-2005, 03:36 PM.
                        Hubert Young
                        KORE 8 Films

Comment

got some cheese with that whine? we took an el camino, unposonored to a FD event 2 hours away from our house, used tires we scavenged from freinds that sat outside, rust holes in the hood. derrick qualified 7th, went against chris forseberg (when he had never tandemned before hand for the most part) and got put out. it was probably one the funnest weekens we ever were a part of. so there goes your anti-underdog whiney crap. please find anohter complaint/excuse or whatever, but please, go cry somewhere else. your in atlanta, FD will be on your doorstep. go build a cage and try.

/rant

Comment

also if you dont think there are any amateur comptetitions you need to learn how to look.

www.dgtrials.com
                            www.driftday.com
                            www.usdrift.com
                            www.dailydrifter.com
                            www.driftshowoff.com

i know there are others. but seriously people, stop whining and at least try to get an "e" for effort instead of a "F" for crying on Forums

Comment

Originally posted by motdyn_s14
                              Sorry a little off topic. I do have an opinion relateing to the topic: There are a few WDC rounds conflicting with Formula D. I really don't know how it is going to work out. I will run Formula D as priority and run as many WDC as I can I guess. Hope the two series can work something out to avoid the date conflicts.
                              i agree 100%

i honestly dont see any winners coming from this battle of the series

Comment

Working...
                              X