How to get sponserd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get sponserd?

Ok I am 17, live in North Carolina, and going to get a 1990 RX-7 Turbo II and most likely build it up for drifting. I was wondering if Americans can get sponsered, from any companys out there that make drifting parts or anything related to drifting? If anyone could answer this question please do. Thanks

You have to spell sponsored right or they might reject you before even watching your video or reading your letter ...

Comment

I deal with sponsores all the time. Two things they look for.

one what car do you have and how, finacialy will the return come from using that base. If they give you a bumper will your car highlight it and in turn will others want the same peice.

TWO most important Driver ability. Can you hang it out there and run with the pack. Most companys want experianced drivers. I rarly here yea he came in last but his car was fully sick.

Also a more grown up attitude helps be profesional at all times. be able to give answeres when they arise. For instance you are seventeen, Im a sponser my question to you is can you make three diferent meets in three different states in three weeks. Be honest, unless your parents are hauling you there and back and you have some sort of cash flow this is were you will get overlooked. For guys starting out look to your tuner shops for support and build on that. if you are good they can also help you allong with there manufacure reps.

Comment

Thanks for the help, and thanks for the tip on spelling!

Ok, I could not make 3 drift meets in 3 weeks, but in the summer time I could because right now I am in High School and on the swim team. I had a job but had to quit it, but have my parents to loan me money when I need it. Well the area of North Carolina I am in, the people are not into drifting and don't know how to tune a car to do it, it's really the young guys around this area that are picking up on it, and they are trying stuff that are seen in like the Option videos and magazines. Well thanks for answering my question.

Later

Comment

Can I also add...

Its funny how younger kid start thinking about getting sponsored before they have a car or are able to show anyone anything of what they can do. I am not trying to diss you. But Drifting in the U.S. is so new that in some cases its like the way it was in the old days. If you go to some events and show what you can do. Trust me sponsors will come to you. Or at least you will be able to talk them at events.

My brother is a Marketing Dir. for Autometer and there have been times that some racer/show car has caught his eye and he has walked up to them. I am not saying this happens all the time but a lot of companies have people that are good at what they do. They can spot talent miles away. Thats why some people that a ton of sponsors and some dont.

That being said. I would suggest to get your car. Get time behind the wheel. Work on your skills. Get a proposal made...contact some companies and if you can try to make "eye contact" with them. Maybe even get a video with you in a event/pratice...Ok I have just touched on these subjects I hope this somewhat helps. Good Luck!

Comment

Are you willing to put all of that aside for this.No matter how old you are,you'll always end up sacrificing something to get somewhere,this happens with everything.If you wait till your older,your going to have to put your job aside,just like you would with your swim team and school now.

Comment

I would advise you to buy and build a car first to see what direction YOU would like to go with your project. From there seek out what/who you need to contact.

First-things-first.......Buy and build the car.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
                You have to spell sponsored right or they might reject you before even watching your video or reading your letter ...
                Hohoho...sad but true.

Comment

You think you guys have it hard! Sponsorship in the UK is just a myth! lol

I currently have a couple of "parts" from sponsors here in the UK, Its generally a one off deal. I have been drifting since day 1 in the Uk and do rank among the best drivers here (i hope! lol)

The UK scene tends not to attract a lot of interest from sponsors, which tbh i do not fully understand? Sponsorship of drift/show cars is about the best way to get noticed imho as a company. Simply putting a load of DPS ad's in magazines is not enough.

On another note, If any potential sponsors are reading this thread (looking at you xtreem, lol) please do email me or pm me for a cv. I am looking for LSD/Aero sponsors for the 2004 season to run with my new S14. im 24 and currently ranked 6th in UK D1, i am the ONLY driver in the UK to ever get perfect scores in competition.

cheers!

Comment

UK D1??? where the f**k is US D1. righto

Comment

UK D1 -

In Silverstone/Rockingham. 5 rounds, 1 final, about 20k spectators, 7 magzines, 2 tv crews, sponsored by HKS, Nascar 76, Road Angel, Option, OPT Drift Club, Avon Tyres and SONY.

That UK D1. where on earth have you been? We are starting the 3rd year of D1 in 2004! lol

Comment

I got a faster way of getting sponsored.

Go to www.getsponsored.net

fill out the form and wait. If you wan to be a nice guy you could put my name (Warren Gardner) in the nick name field. Unfortunately it will take a couple months before you hear from them (I actually forgot that I filled the thing out when they contacted me).

All the details are explained on the site, or when they contact you.

So good luck, and remember who told you.

Comment

wow thats really good man! thanks for that! i'll be mailing them now! lol

cheers! wish me luck!

Comment

you pretty much need to do a full if not a close to full build on a car and have something unique enough as well. It took that getting some sponsers for the MR2.... *check out Modified Mag* SEMA issue... its the cover car , sadly enough the car sits in a Musesm in Chicago now, never to see the road again

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroliftAutoLab
                              you pretty much need to do a full if not a close to full build on a car and have something unique enough as well. It took that getting some sponsers for the MR2.... *check out Modified Mag* SEMA issue... its the cover car , sadly enough the car sits in a Musesm in Chicago now, never to see the road again

Hey I saw that issue. but its in chicago? I am in chicago where in chicago?

Comment

Working...
                              X