Is a Datsun 510 a good drifting car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a Datsun 510 a good drifting car?

I was wondering if the Datsun 510 is a good drift car, and is it possible to put a 2nd or 3rd gen mazda rx7 motor into it, i have seen 1st gen motors in these cars and the car was preety quick!

Yes you can drift the 510 till your heart is content. Yes you can drop the 13B in the tiny engine bay... an SR20 fits so I dont see why a smaller motor would pose a problem.

Comment

It's spin happy with such a short wheelbase, but light and durable.

Good luck finding a 510 for cheap, or even a 510 shell - there weren't as many sold in the US as tuner's wish there were, so be careful when buying one or you might be buying a blueprint.

-MR

Comment

We used to have a 510. Sold it to my brothers dad. Thing has never quit runnin. If its so rare i just might have to get it back then. What are they usualy worth?

Comment

It's rare seeing them in the road.

I usually see them in the Junk Yards. and in the race tracks

they're good sprinter cars with an S13 engine.

Good body.

Comment

510's are not good drifter's because of the rear suspension design does not have that much camber and can cause the car brake lose or spin instead of drifting.

Comment

I dont know if that makes too much sense. AE86 and Camaro's are solid rear axles and drift fine.

Comment

Datsun

Ok, I have seen this 510 in the area i live in doing some preety nice drifting and when i mean nice i mean bad a$$! The guy has a 13B Brideport motor in it and he has the suspension tune really nice, this man is like in his late 30's and has been building up the car for awhile now. Just have to say his car is bad and I really want one now!

Comment

510's have irs not soilded. with stiff suspension it can drift pretty good, there is a guy in austrila that has a sr20det and drift's the wheels off of it. i can't remember the site but I'L look of it.

Comment

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~shoeman/index.htm

this is the site, go to pics & video page and down load the autocross video.

Comment

What I was trying to say is that cars with solid rear ends (no camber adjustments) drift fine. I wasnt trying to say that 510's are solid rear axle cars. I dont know jack about 510's except that they make great autocross cars. Had a guy out at the Drift Session this past weekend with one, but he wasnt drifting it. Ended up burning the clutch though.

Comment

Theres a pretty big aftermarket, so parts wouldnt be a problem.

Comment

The IRS of the 510 is fine, it spins because it's so darn short.

I've seen good condition 510's for sale for $10k. Check E-bay and you may find one that allready has an engine swap and that has been cared for, but be prepared to pay $7500+.

I'd love to get one myself, but I just don't have the cash.

-MR

Comment

Have to disagree with the price. I have had 3 510's and never paid over 1000 or any of them. Matter of fact my brothers wife has one and he has about 3500 in it.
                            My last one I paid 800 bucks for. I'll snap a photo of it next time im at the shop. Sold it for 500 after some chance connections with other objects. My first one was a 4 door. The "Tokyo Taxi" from 510 Rob in Atlanta. If you frequent 510 sites his is the one that won Shasta last year I think. Lime green one with an SR20 swap in it. Paid 400 for it, then got a 71 with a built 2 litre in it from behind a shop for 500 bucks. Had bubble flares on it.

They are out there. I know where one is right now for 200 bucks that needs wheels and some going through. 510's are usually cheap. The racers snatch them up and sell them, that's why you get inflated prices.

I try to tell all of you, if you want a car just go out and look for it. Look at peoples houses, behind garages and shops and you'll find it. Belive it or not people love to talk about their cars. Talk to someone with the car you like and odds are he has some friend who is down on his luck or just got married, or divorced, that has one just like it that he needs to offload.

My brothers wifes car from his website. www.tophatperformance.com
                            Attached Files

Comment

71 dime

hay what did your dime look like i just bought a 2 door 71 with rear bubble flares abd a built 2 liter and it is banged up the car is white with a black stripe on the bottem

Comment

Working...
                              X