Should TRUCKS be allowed to drift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should TRUCKS be allowed to drift?

Should a truck be allowed to compete in drift events?

A truck that would be modified to compete and meet safety requirements (lowered to reduce risk of rollover for example). Factory type suspension would be used, nothing exotic or drastic would be done to give a truck a competitive advantage. The only difference between a truck and car is the appearance of the rear body, and more difficulty in getting a good weight balance. Example of weights and weight balances for stock vehicles:
    1993 240sx: 2650lbs, 53% front, 47% rear
    1993 S10 pickup: 2850lbs, 56% front, 44% rear

NASCAR has a separate truck class, but that is needed because of the role that aerodynamics plays in their sport.

For fans: Trucks are RWD, cheap and tend to have low insurance costs. We have had several trucks show up at our local events.

Would a truck have a competitive advantage in drifting? Are there any reasons that you can see that should keep trucks from competing?

Throw some input out here, would like to get some feedback from others.

fyi - the el camino will be allowed to compete, so this is not about the el camino.

thanks, james
    Yes
    80.19%
    No
    16.04%
    Not sure
    3.77%

i dont see why not, if it was to meet the requirments

Comment

I voted yes. They should be allowed. I dont see it being a problem. But there is a problem with how competitive the truck would be. As soon as you start doing weight reductions. There is not nearly enough in the rear. You will not get that pendulum weight transfer you need for drift. Will it drift, yes. But you have to maintain the stock mounting points for the suspension just like any car. So there will be a problem with setting the car up properly.
      www.chrisforsberg.com
      www.driftalliance.com
      www.nosdrift.com
      www.hankooktireusa.com

Comment

I vote yes as well.......DO IT!!!
        www.driftalliance.com
        TEAM FALKEN

Comment

As long as they are held to the same rules as cars, why not??? bring it on!
          -Don't forget the struggle. Don't forget the streets-

www.driftalliance.com
          www.clubloose.com

Listen to Motley Crue

Comment

You guys are f---ing nuts, but I vote yes anyway (on the condition that you'll let me take it for a spin every once in a while). See ya this weekend.

Comment

I say bring it .... hee.hee.. It would be dope to see a truck do the d1 irwindale course at top speed.. and to see new things.. out on the track..

Comment

I say yes

and yes to golf carts as well

Comment

Is there any rules in D1 or FD that explicitly say they aren't allowed? As far as I know there isn't, but if there were then the sil-ute wouldn't be allowed to compete, right? Anyway, I vote yes

Comment

thanks for the comments guys!

I do agree that the weight balance will be an issue to deal with. Many people think that a light rear end will help in drifting - it may at a beginning level, but not at the level of FD. TRACTION is a good thing, you need it to get the speed up. I think that the weight balance is a problem that we can overcome.

On a lot of the domestic boards, i often get the 'i used to drift my (insert car name), and it is easy'. I always tell them, it isn't as esay to do it good as they think - and that is the reason i'm not the driver

now, we just need this sponsorship deal to go through so we can see what we can do

james

Comment

I'd say no. Based solely on the fact that I strongly dislike trucks I just think they look like *Censored**Censored**Censored*.

B-Wurm

Comment

yes! they can carry craploads of tires to your events too. someone around where i live (chicago burbs) drifts a tacoma. i have vids.

Comment

yes! they can carry craploads of tires to your events too.

like this?

Comment

nice. yeah. thats what im talking about

Comment

do sports cars mean anything to you guys that said yes?

Comment

Working...
                              X