ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW GTO Drift Machine (D1GP This Sunday)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW GTO Drift Machine (D1GP This Sunday)

Text provided by RMR

RHYS MILLEN AND PONTIAC GTO RETURN IN 2005
    FOR ANOTHER YEAR OF AMERICAN DRIFTING

February 27 Irwindale D1 Grand Prix Event
    Debuts New 2005 GTO Drift Machine

Carrying strong momentum from a 1st place finish at the Formula D drift finale in August 2004, and a podium finish at the GT Live D1 event in December, Rhys Millen Racing and GM Racing return once again in 2005 for a second year of tire smoking drifting, American style. The familiar Pontiac GTO also returns for the new season, sporting a fresh new graphics and color scheme, along with a host of mechanical and performance enhancements. The strong team and powerful GTO will be a formidable challenger in this year’s American drifting scene which kicks off with the D1 Grand Prix Irwindale event on February 27.

“We’ve come a long way from just a year ago when we entered the American drifting scene as the first American based team with the first American brand car,” said Rhys Millen, drift driver and team principal of Team RMR Pontiac. “The team has achieved tremendous success with the Pontiac GTO and we’re proud to represent our American fans with some great drifting in the 2005 season.”

The 05 GTO drift car sees a brand new color and graphics package which incorporates the familiar Screaming Yellow color with an all-new Ballistic Blue. Technological enhancements to the already competitive GTO include the relocation of the fuel tank from behind the rear axle to inside the passenger compartment. This better balances the vehicle and reduces the centrifugal force generated from the weight of the fuel tank during a sideways drift. The suspension travel has also been increased in the rear by an additional 1.5 inches to allow for improved traction over uneven and bumpy tarmac. Improved traction results in more power being put down to the ground, allowing for improved speed and vehicle control.

The vertical rear diffuser first pioneered by RMR returns again for the Irwindale event as well as other high speed drift venues. This aerodynamics package allows for improved airflow management during sideways drifts at high speed, increasing rear stability and increasing grip to the rear wheels. Specially developed with Irwindale’s turn #1 in mind, this clear lexan spoiler which runs vertically along the right rear decklid, is yet another performance innovation aimed at increased vehicle control and was developed by RMR specifically for drifting applications.

Increased front bumper clearance, improved engine power and new Yokohama Parada drift spec tires round out the many other enhancements to the GTO in 2005.

Further information on Team RMR/Pontiac and the GTO drift car can be found at www.gtodrift.com.

Comment

Car looks good. I like the paintscheme a lot, though the wheels seem to clash with the colors.

I'm wishing you guys all the best of luck. You proved at Fontana you're the guys to take the fight to the D1 Drivers, so take the fight all the way to victory lane!

Comment

Thats the new one!!! I mean its cool and all but I liked the old style better!!! That or the one that was at the LA Auto Show!!! I see your useing the wing from the LA Auto Show but thats it!!!

Anyway the best one was the one there at LA. It looked cool yo I even had to whear my bling bling . LOL

Comment

I dont know.

I loved the old style. I don't know about the new one though The colors are good but itz just the wheels need to be changed.
          Last edited by henessy; 02-26-2005, 03:46 PM.

Comment

looks better!

Comment

cool I like the wheels. kind of a throwback to old GTOs with redline tires. You kids just aren't old enough to know that it's cool.

Comment

yeah the car is a monster. the only thing i don't like is the wheels

Comment

the vertical rear diffuser is funky lookin! it's basically a vertical piece of lexan on the passenger side, along the rear window. Interesting idea... seemed to work for him!

Comment

i like the wheels...i guess i must be weird

Comment

here's a photo i took at the LA Auto Show

It's a GTO from RMR - exact bodypanels and rear spoiler (as the Drift GTO), just different paint
                      However, i don't think its the one thats going to D1. Rather, i think it's more of a show vehicle that markets the GTO bodystyle

Last edited by XanThoZ; 02-27-2005, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Thats the one I was talking about. It looks so much more sweet that then one he drives now. Its like eye candy!!!

Comment

the black/yellow one looks great but the gray one is awesome too bad it is'nt that one in d1
                          anyhow peace

Comment

Originally posted by INFO
                            "with the first American brand car,”
                            Thought the GTO was just an Australian Holden Monaro with a facelift and in LHD...

Comment

Working...
                            X