Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survey - D1GP @ I-dale - 2/05

Hi,

I'm interested in what paying spectators (and some amateur drifters) thought of this event as well as some other general questions about drifting. Thank you for taking some time (this is kind of long and may take about a half-hour) to reply to this post with brief but meaningful answers to some or all of these questions.

I’m not asking who you are or for any personal information. I know that a lot of us know each other on the board here and we really know who we really are in real life. If you’d like to be anonymous in your answers, be creative – I’m sure you know what I mean.

If you wish to answer the questions – great. Please don’t insist on knowing who I am or why I’m asking. Some of the questions are very pointed and direct. Some may lead you to believe that I’m a moron. These are the questions you can choose to not answer – I know how much of a moron I am, you don’t need to remind me.

Flame elsewhere - serious replies here only - please.

Thank you.

Mark

1. Was the price of admission for D1 fair? Would you gladly pay more? If so, how much more? If not, where should the admission price be?

2. Is the space for D1 at Irwindale big enough for drifting? Are you close enough to the action? Is the course good enough to see what the best drifters can really do or do they need more space? Was California Speedway better (GT Live / D1GP in December, 2004)? If Fontana was a better place for drifting, why?

3. JGTC – Dope or whack – why? Does it have a future in the US and why or why not?

4. Would a drifting event taking place in a parking lot be ok? Or would it be lame? Realize that this parking lot would be HUGE! It could allow for different track layouts to be set up over the course of a weekend. It would be big enough for 4th gear corner entries. There might be some bleachers, but odds are, spectators would stand behind concrete barriers – about 50 feet or more away from the track. Is standing lame or are bleachers a must?

5. What if there was no PA system at an event and the only way to hear the commentators was with a Walkman or other FM receiver?

6. As an amateur drifter, would you pay $50, $100, $150, $200 or $250 to spend a morning in a drifting clinic and an afternoon on-track with both in-car and on-track coaching? Assume the instructors are HIGH level American drifters who may be fairly well-known, but not championship-winning D1 drivers. The other side of this coin is “I don’t drift – I just watch”.

7. Would you pay $4,735 to go to a 3-day drifting school in Phoenix, Las Vegas, Los Angeles or D.C.? The school would provide the cars (GOOD, well-tuned, turbo-charged, very capable, new or 1 or 2-year old cars from a major, well-known manufacturer), tires, suits, helmets, gloves, shoes, on-board data acquisition, hotel shuttle to and from the school and videotape / DVD of classroom lessons, all of your on-track sessions from on-board cameras and each debriefing session. Insurance would be available for another $100 per day and would limit your liability to $2,000 if you cause more than $2,000 worth of damage to a car; but the tracks would be such that it would be very, very difficult to hit a wall or roll a car. Damage up to $2,000 would come out of your pocket – even with the insurance. This would not include clutches or tires – the normal wear and tear on these items would be covered by your tuition, so you wouldn’t pay if you fry a clutch or prematurely go through a set of tires. You wouldn’t be charged for normal wear and tear. The fee wouldn’t include airfare or hotel but would include continental breakfast each day, lunch each day and a dinner the last day. The instructors may or may not be big names in drifting, but they would be MORE than well qualified to teach drifting – guaranteed. Over the course of the three days, you would be on more than one track.

8. Do you agree with this statement? “If drifting happens anywhere except the greater Los Angeles area, it’s worthless. I wouldn’t watch, attend or participate if this was the case. Only the top names and the best shows can be found on the Pacific coast.”

9. Was the D1 event well organized? Did the day flow smoothly? Was there enough ongoing action or other show elements to keep you occupied? What was good and what was bad about the event?

10. Which language should the PA announcers speak in during the weekend?

11. Is it a pain in the @$$ that a lot of the drivers can’t speak English or speak it very well? Or is this unimportant as in “I don’t care what the drivers have to say – I just want to see the action!” or “The translators do a good job of translating what the drivers say – which I have an interest in hearing”.

12. Do you need ‘down time’ during an event to take a break from the noise or get away the intensity or do you prefer non-stop action without letting up?

13. Which is best from a spectator’s standpoint?

a. Drifting at night
    b. Drifting in the day
    c. It doesn’t matter
    d. Competition that starts in the day with the finals at night under the lights.

14. Are you interested in the look of the cars? The performance of the cars? The technology of the cars? The personal stories of the drivers?

15. How late should a drifting event end?
    a. 5 pm
    b. 7 pm
    c. 9 pm
    d. 10 pm
    e. 11 pm
    f. Midnight

16. Was the big screen at D1 effective? Could you see it? Was your view of the screen blocked? Was it too far away? Could you hear the audio part of the video over the PA system OK? Was the big screen a waste of time, money and bother? Did it ad anything to the event? Would you like to see what the Option Video cameras see on the big screen as they’re taping? Would you like to be able to see slow motion instant replays?

17. What time should a drifting event begin?
    a. 6 am
    b. 8 am
    c. 9 am
    d. 10 am
    e. Noon
    f. 1 pm
    g. 3 pm

18. On the big screen, would you like to see an English, Japanese or Spanish speaking pit reporter doing pre and post-run interviews with the drivers as well as victory circle interviews? Maybe even a tech-tip or other pit report? Should this pit reporter be a guy or a gal and why? Is this idea lame?

19. Did D1 offer enough access? Would you like to be able to get closer to the cars? The drivers? Should it be two days or was one enough.

20. Was parking and traffic control getting into and out of the event ok?

21. Do you think that manufacturers belong in drifting? Would you prefer they wait a couple of years before sending in heavyweight, well-financed factory teams? Do you think they take the sport up a notch? Do you think they make it impossible or impractical for ‘the little’ guy to have a shot at getting to the top of drifting? Does this give you (as a drifter) something to shoot for – getting a factory ride; or does this discourage you? Do you think factory drivers are worth what they’re given?

22. Do you think that drifting should be about finesse, control, style and flair – or do you think it should be about high speed and high horsepower?

23. Do you wish that drifting were on TV? I’m talking about a mainstream, major network that everyone gets. Would you watch a regular, weekly show that covered drifting events all over the country – even though the competitors might not be the top names in drifting – or would you rather see only the top names in drifting only once or twice a year on network TV?

24. FD and G4TechTV – AWESOME or P-fkn-lease?

25. Would you subscribe to a regular release of drifting videos from Netflix, Blockbuster or some other major, well-established video / DVD rental outlet? Would you follow a season-long championship this way? These videos would be professionally produced – just like network TV, but would only be available through these rental stores. Each one would be about an hour long and would cover each of the entrants from qualifying through the finals. They would be available the Wednesday following an event. They might contain a few ads, but they wouldn’t have a lot of blatant, commercial content that was paid inserts which would tout a lame product as being a good one – you would only see ads and ‘deals’ or ‘special offers’ from only the top, proven names in speed shops, suspension upgrade manufacturers, power-adder manufacturers, wheel / tire plus-fitment parings and the like. The rental costs and terms would be just like any other video / DVD you get from these places.

26. Do you think we’ve seen enough of ‘exhibitions’ and should move on to only hold ‘competitions’? Do you think that exhibitions are still cool enough that you would spend a day or a weekend going to one – especially if it was tied into a car show / bikini contest / DJ / etc?

27. “Option Video can’t be beat – I wouldn’t waste one nickel on any other video” – True or False.

28. What do you want from an announcer – mickey fickey hip hop hype in street-ese or information in English? (Not intended to offend anyone, so don’t go there – you know what I’m asking here, so don’t play ‘victim’ and read into the question).

29. How many sanctioning bodies of drifting should there be? Is it ok for us to have several top dogs and a bunch of stragglers or would it be better for some sanctions to ‘mind there place’ and stick with being a feeder series for one or two big dogs – for several sanctions to work together to form a food chain?

30. How far would you drive or fly to go to a ‘major’ drifting event? A major event would have a tuner car show, bikini contest, vendor row, two days worth of activity, one or two ‘A’ drifters, many ‘B’ drifters and a few, good, ‘C’ drifters who likely would be eliminated in the first round in a home-built-looking ride. Would you make a weekend of it – hotel, meals out, maybe a flight and a rental car, too? What would you pay for a full-access weekend pass to such an event?

31. What do you think is the worst thing that could happen to drifting – to kill it in the US? What do you think it needs in order to survive and grow? Do you not worry about it – do you think that after a couple of years, when things even out, there will still be some grass roots drifting groups and one or two major, top series – kind of like NHRA / NDRA and IDRC / IDRA?

32. How old are you?

33. What do you do for a living (in general – I’m not asking where you work)?

34. Do you have kids?

35. How much money do you spend on drifting in a year? This could include building, tuning and drifting a car as well as the cost of going to drifting events or schools.

36. As a driver / drifter, what is the best car to drift and why (read 38 before answering)?

37. How important is it for a judge to be a big name in drifting? If three to five judges at an event score relatively close to one another and if their scores agree with what the audience sees a majority of the time, is this ok? As long as a judge understands the judging criteria and consistently judges according to this, is this ok – even if the judge has limited experience or success in drifting?

38. As a spectator, what is the best car to see on the track drifting and why?

39. What else would you like to say that hasn’t been asked?

Thank you again for your time and your thoughts.

M D

1) Admission price - keep it under $30. Can't charge Nascar type prices as drifting is not nearly as big as Nascar...
    2) I've attended drift events only in Irwindale. So...no comment.
    3) JGTC. Good stuff! However, you will NEED to get the backing of the OEMs (in some way whether minute or major) here in the US in order for it to grow.
    4) Drifting on the D1GP "level" should NEVER take place at a parking lot. If you want to display professionalism and meaning of a true "sport"...then my suggestion would not to allow D1GP's name be used w/ a drifting event on a "parking lot". If it takes place in a parking lot...you tend to look more "amatuerish" than "professional". (This is purely my opinion based on what I would recommend for D1GP and their business interests. I'm not trying to attack anyone if their business is engaged in such activities.)
    5) Must have a PA system. No FM receiver or Walkman...
    6)
    7) 3 day driving school idea. The price is high given your demographic. And you would be hard pressed to find people to pay this price given the "parking lot drifting events". That...and the insurance risk that you quoted...poses a HUGE expense for anyone that happens to cause damage to a vehicle. Enterprise Car Rentals charges less than $100 for complete auto coverage, the car can be on fire...and you can just walk away...
    8) No...drifting is expanding throughout the US (and Canada).
    9) Didn't attend this particular event...so no comment.
    10) English...w/ some Japanese commentary would be okay. Needs to be able to convey the excitement of drifting in their voice...as well as discuss various things such as driver's background, car, technique, strategy, etc.
    11) Drivers do not need to speak english. Just have a translator and you'll be fine.
    12) A half time maybe? Not sure...
    13) B (D...ends up being too dark for some people to clearly see.)
    14) All of the above
    15) A or B depending on when the sun sets...
    16) No comment
    17) D or E
    18) English because that is the primary language. Pit reporter must be able to know what is going on. Needs to be able to get the crews to actually talk to him/her as they will be busy.
    19) No comment
    20) No comment
    21) Manufacturer involvement is a must. I think they belong in drifting. HOWEVER...my own personal opinion is that cars MUST be an actual production car.
    22) Speed, control, flair. If it was about high horsepower and high speed...we can go watch something else...like drag racing.
    23) Watching it on TV would be nice...but I don't know if you would have enough footage to use for a whole season w/o having to do a whole bunch of re-runs for months on end.
    24) No comment.
    25) Drifting videos...in my opinion...no I would not rent/pay for them.
    26) Exhibitions are nice...no complaints...
    27) False. I have a few...but I see areas of improvement.
    28) Info in english please. Someone who is professional and clearly has enthusiasm for the "sport", can convey the excitement of the action as it happens, and has a broad knowledge as a whole. Just my opinion...keep it more as a sport...and not as a automotive popularity show. No Super Tuner TV hosts...rather Car & Driver...but w/ some excitement.
    29) I would recomment 2 bodies. One that will hold the "parking lot" style drift events...that will feed into D1GP.
    30) IMO...a major drifting event will consist of just that...drifting. the tuner car show is a nice break from the action. The bikini contest...is just...not necessary. The cars are the essential main points of interest here. Leave the bikini contests and that stuff to NOPI. Back to the topic...I tend to stay along the West Coast. from So Cal to Nor Cal...or if I'm headed east...I would go as far as Phoenix.
    31) No comment.
    32) 27
    33) Investment firm.
    34) No kids.
    35) Depends...but it primarily depends on what I'm focusing on w/ my vehicles. My vehicles are not drift dedicated/oriented vehicles. They are more or less street vehicles that I occasionally bring to the track.
    36) Current best car for drifting is the 240sx (S13/S14). I used to own one. They handle well.
    37) Big name? No necessary. Needs to be a true UNBIASED professional judge...much like the professional referees from baseball, basketball, etc. Ones that know how to judge based on criteria (and the drift box equipment)
    38) Best cars to see are the underdogs. AE86, Soarer (SC300), Rhy's GTO, etc. 240sx's have become too common. And w/o automanufacturer support to produce cars that are capable of being modified for drifting...the sport will suffer....
    39) And the Oscar goes to...oh wait...that was last night...
    31)

Comment

1.30 bucks a head to get in and 10 bucks for parking?
      should keep tickets at about $20~25 IMHO

Iwingdale seems to be big enough (track wise)

Close enough to the action? NO

2.Fontana's lay out made it too hard to see the whole "drift course"

3.JGTC is cool but its not my cup of tea

4.A parking lot would suck, no bathrooms, what about food, no shade?

5.The PA systmes depends on the anouncer, some times its good sometimes it is not

6.Would i pay NO, i would just go to a private track day like buttonwillow, thunder hill etc

7.No

8. Well if you have an even out side of LA and it does not do well, is that the fans who do go fault? I think it would be who ever is the prometers fault, i mean its there job to sell tickets, also us norcal guys are tired of having to drive 5~10 hours down to LA and then have to drive home to go back to work the next morning

9.the event was okay not as good as ones in the past, everything was smooth but too slow paced, good increase secuirty, bad it was over too soon, all the drivers look burnt out maybe becuase they were driving friday and saturday to get ready for sunday, another good was more families were comming, down the line i think it would be cool if my whole family went to an event and i am sure other people feel the same way, Bad not enough action, need more seating that is "close up"

10.English

11. I dont go to the evcents to talk to the drivers, a pic and a thank you is good enough

12. yes soemtimes like those very loud cars at JGTC you need a break to chill for a while and grab some food and talk to some friends you bump into

13.D

14.All of the above

15. 7~9pm is fine

16.the megatron was nice but too fara away, slowmotion replay's would be awesome!

17.E

18.English how about a male female interview team combo, i am up to it just get me a hot model as a the other 1/2 of the team!

19.i think everyone got close enough to the cars in the paddocks, a 2 day event would be nice

20.parking at irwindale was fine

21.Manufacures put up the money for a lot of drivers to be able to compete, i think its fine if they are there as long as they know we are there to be entertained not to be SOLD on some products, i dont want people haggalin' me trying to go to thier booth to check out what they have for sale the spot light should be on the drivers and the action not products

22.uhh i dunno , who cares its ALL ABOUT HAVING FUN

23.every week? you could try once a month or so sounds like a better place to start

24.who cares

25.No

26.yea we need a superbowl of drifting + girls gone wild + HIN + DJ battle all in one :rolleyes , uhhh if i remeber correctly its called a drift event why would you try to take away from that
      if people wanna see a bikini contest they should go to one, if they wanna go to a car show they should go to one, oif they want to go a DJ battle they should go to one, it sounds like when you put all your favorite food in a blender and mix it together, yea it sounds like it should taste good but you know what it usually turns out to be one big mess

27.False

28.someone professional , knowlegable and up beat

29.no one cares

30. i would rather stay home

31. question #30

33.retired

34.No

35.50K+

36. Best , there is no "BEST"

37.Judging should not be influenced by the audiance,

38.I like seeing american cars and cars not avaialble in the USA i.e. silvias, skylines, soarers, etc etc etc

39. Drifting should have a family feel to it not a cookie cutter Mickey D's feel to it

Max

Comment

1. The price was fair. I wouldn't go above that. I would gladly pay more if it was a 2-day event, etc. with more events/things to do available.

2. The space is adequate. You get a great view of the action. In some cases, you might need another grandstand somewhere. How about a VIP grandstand in the middle of the field? The course layout was a bit better than last year. I think California Speedway would be a little too large or the course layout might not be as well suited for drifting as it is for JGTC.

3. JGTC = The (second) Ultimate venue in motorsports (second only to FIA events- F1 and WRC). It has a great future. I hope more factory teams/international teams get involved. It's such a great spectator sport and has great competitive driving. I love it more than NASCAR. WAY MORE!

4. Pretty good. But wouldn't safety be an issue here?

5. Keep the PA system.

6. Would be very nice, but I would rather have something more akin to #7.

7. Yes

8. Well, remember that in terms of most things involving cars, etc, SoCal is the place to be. It's somewhat of a mecca. Why don't we have an F1 race here again??? Why Indy??? Nevermind... But I don't agree that things can't happen elsewhere.

9. Very good organization. BETTER SECURITY NEEDED. C'mon! The crowd was pretty deplorable. I think frisbees should be banned or have an annoucement be made about conduct and having things thrown. I mean, you're going to lose more of the adult/serious motorsports crowd because of random acts of stupidity. Blowing up condom balloons is one thing, but throwing frisbees and paper airplanes w/sharp points is a lawsuit waiting to happen. People could have been hurt. Let's think here! There should have been an announcement made. C'mon! Some paper airplanes made it onto the track. Let's have respect for each other and the drivers. Do you know what will happen if the tire made contact with the paper airplane at such a high rate of speed??? This is a D1 event, not the WWE...

10. English, Japanese, Spanish and Chinese.

11. Translators are doing a great job.

12. Downtime is good.

13. C. Anytime....

14. All aspects of the sport are welcome...

15. C. 9pm

16. Big screen needs to be bigger. Slow motion cam would be good. Replay cam, etc.

17. C. 9 am

18. English w/a translator. Either male or female. They need to know their stuff though.

19. Two days would be nice. Access was good.

20. Better parking situations!

21. Mfrs. are great. They help expand the sport. Help it to progress. There SHOULD be a "feeder" series to help the "little guys" showcase their abilities (good for a two day event: amateurs on sat. and pros on sun.). This also enables the little guys to be seen and maybe get picked up by a Mfr.

22. A balance of all aspects.

23. It would be great if it were on regular TV. I would definately watch but only live broadcasts. Like F1 or WRC.

24. They're okay.

25. Uhhh... skip...

26. Exhibitions are okay. I'd rather see competition.

27. Option kicks butt. But there are other shows that are great too... Fifth Gear being one of them.

28. Someone "Chick Hearn-y". Knows their stuff. Adds a bit of flair. Man, I miss Chick...

29. 2 leagues. A minor league and D1 (major league).

30. It depends. Let's get the sport more mainstream before thinking about this. You have F1 fans flying all over the world, but look at their fanbase. PROFESSIONAL people who aren't idiots in the stands! At least people who have some decorum!

31. Think marketing. Think professionalism and access. Think about fanbase and globalism.

32. A very young 29.

33. New Vehicle Data Editor for Automotive Publication

34. Not yet. Soon.

35. A HECK OF A LOT! More than $15k/yr.

36. Any... Just make it a competitive field.

37. You can think about Iron Chef here. 3 professional judges and 2 random judges. Tuners, etc...

38. Something people can relate to. A diverse field.

39. Let's talk about security here... Hahaha. Thanks for reading!
        Last edited by SenroKougeki240; 02-28-2005, 12:36 PM.

Comment

The events I've been to are last year's Irwindale D1 and California Speedway GT Live, but I'd like to respond anyway as I have pretty strong feelings about some of the questions.

1. The cost wasn't really much of an issue for me, but I don't think I'm a good representation of most people.

2. California Speedway was an aweful course--bad view, bad setup. Irwindale was a much better course, limited I think by the fact that it's based off an oval. We definately had a good view of the course though.

3. At the California Speedway event JGTC was done TERRIBLY. There were many problems. Most importantly, there was NO ANNOUNCING going on. We need good announcers out there--tell us what's going on in the race. Tell us about the teams, the drivers, and their cars. Tell us some JGTC history. Tell us who crashed and what happened. Also, there were no good places to watch the action (mostly due to the layout of California Speedway I think). I think JGTC has the potential to be awesome. As JGTC was, it was boring and frustrating!

4. IF EXECUTED PROPERLY a large parking lot event could work out very well. Definitely don't make people stand though. If bleachers aren't provided, people will have trouble seeing and get tired of standing. Some shady areas would be nice as well.

5. I think a PA system like that would take a lot of energy out of the air. I think it would be a big mistake.

6. Probably not more than $150, and then only if there was a lot of track time. For less track time, $100 tops.

7. That's a great idea, but too much money.

8. No! That seems like a very shortsighted opinion.

9. D1 2004 was organized very well. It was fantastic. GT Live was TERRIBLE. No one seemed to know what was going on. There was very little announcing going on for any events. There was very little information about the events or even how to get around the track. The JGTC awards ceremony was a JOKE. An insult to the drivers, in my opinion. GT Live was very unprofessional. The one good thing about GT Live was the open pits. The opportunity to talk with the drivers and pit crew, and see all the cars up close was wonderful.

10. English, without a doubt.

11. I don't mind that the drivers don't speak English. I think when the driver has something he wants to say, it should be translated.

12. I definately prefer downtime. Downtime helps keep the energy going. Without it, people wear out. Downtime also gives people the opportunity to go to the vender booths, get food, use the restroom, etc. It's better for everyone.

13. d. Competition that starts in the day with the finals at night under the lights.

14. Yes, yes, yes, yes, in this order: 1. Personal info on drivers, 2. Any special technology on the cars, 3. The performance of the cars, 4, The looks of the cars.

15. I think the event should end around 10:00pm but that the track should not close until at least 12:00. Let people walk around the shows, booths, etc. and hang out for a while after the event.

16. No comment, I wasn't at D1 2005.

17. I think noon is a pretty good compromise for getting things started early and giving non-locals time to get to the track in the morning.

18. Pre- and post-run interviews should be done by and English speaker with fluent Japanese or an English speaker with a Japanese translator. I don't know about a tech tip, but other pit reporting would be nice. A guy would probably work better, but if you find the right girl that would be fine too. Read: Whoever it is, make sure they're PROFESSIONAL. No more hip-hop speakers.

19. No comment on the first part of the question. I think the event should be kept to one day. Again, to maintain the energy of the croud and keep the event more accessible to non-locals.

20. No comment.

21. I'm not sure about this one. I definately think drifting needs to be a sport with an easy path to move up--unlike many other forms of racing. If a guy has talent, he needs to be able to get sponsors or a factory ride. I don't know enough about the business to comment on the best way of making this happen.

22. Finesse, control and speed.

23. I can't speak for others, but I probably wouldn't watch drifting much on TV.

24. No comment.

25. No.

26. I'm not really interested in exhibitions.

27. False.

28. No more hip hop type speakers! It gives the sport a very unprofessional air. Definitely have speakers who are into the sport, can speak intelligently, and are professional!

29. I think having a "food chain" would make it easier for drivers to get started and to move up.

30. I probably wouldn't go farther than around 400 miles (like I did for D1).

31. The worst thing to happen to drifting in the states would be for there to no longer be a path for the little guy to move up and be competitive. The next worst thing would be to continue the lack of professionalism present at GT Live. Maintain the original drifter culture, don't try to turn it into a Fast-n-Furious hip-hop counter-culture scene.

32. 23 years old.

33. Software engineer.

34. No.

35. Too much.

36. That depends. If the driver is independent, they should drive the car they like. It'll reflect the driver's personality. If they are being factory backed, they should drive the factory's car.

37. I think it is very important the judges really understand what to look for, but not that they be well known.

38. I don't really have a favorite. I like seeing different cars with different abilities out on the track.

39. Feel free to ask me any other questions you'd like! I'd love to do my part to make this sport the best it can be!

Comment

Thank you very much for the replies that some of you have offered so far to this survey. I realize that each of you who responded has done so with great thought, sincererity and maturity - thank you.

This information will be taken into consideration in the execution of drifting events in the future and at a variety of locations throughout the US.

If you haven't responded yet, please join the few that have - your answers will help us deliver a much better event than you're accustomed to seeing.

Again, I can't thank you enough for your help.

Mark

Comment

1. The price of admission was very fair. I would say that up to $30 or $35 would be about the max though.

2. The course was great at Irwindale! The seats were in a very good position too. Fontana was really good for JGTC, but the D1 portion was terrible.

3. JGTC was great! They did need to have a leader board set up though. It was impossible to see who was leading in the two classes. That was the only real dissapointment with that race. I hope that JGTC has a future in the U.S. I think that it shows people the level of skill and the technology used in import cars.

4. I agree with what others have said. D1 is not meant for a parking lot. It looks very unprofessional. Amatuer drift events in parking lots are fine, but something like D1 belongs at a speedway like Irwindale. Just my .02

5. A good PA system is a must, no FM or walkman type setups. The PA at Irwindale was terrible. If you were on the first part of the stands, you couldn't even hear the announcer if the cars were making a pass or if the crowd was noisy at all. The PA setup from Fontana was really good. I wish that setup would've been present at Irwindale.

6. I would pay up to $200 for a day with instruction. I think that anything more than that would be a bit much unless you had instructors of Rhys Millen's caliber there.

7. $4,700 is excessive and well beyond the price range of most amatuers. While I would pay $2,000 or so for the event, your original figure was WAY too high. Plus the insurance deal with having to pay the first $2,000 in damage is steep as well. Like others have mentioned rental car agencies will charge you $100 for full out insurance with no deductable. I don't see why this couldn't be accomplished for the "drifting school."

8. I couldn't disagree more with that statement. Drifting is a craze that is catching on everywhere in the U.S. While bigger metro areas would be easier to draw crowds for something like the D1, smaller events would go great for smaller cities.

9. The D1 had way too much "dead time" throughout the day. Drifting exhibitions or just "play time" from people who didn't qualify would've been a good way to pass the time. The vendor area was nice though. I would like to see more OEM stands set up though.

10. PA announcers should continue to speak english through the weekend. Or you could do Japanese and English. But not enough of the crowd speaks Japanese to announce only in that language.

11. The translators do a great job of explaining what the drivers are saying. It's just incredible that we(the average fan) even gets a chance to talk to the drivers and/or mechanics for the pro teams. That is something that is a HUGE attraction for most people.

12. You do need down time to get out of the sun and to get something to eat and/or drink.

13. It doesn't matter to me as long as the driving is good like at this past D1.

14. I am interested in all aspects of it. I think that the more you know the easier it is to keep your fan base. If the cars just came out, drove, and then went back into the trailers it wouldn't be anywhere near as interesting.

15. A drift event that ends much later than 7pm would be hard to attend. I know that a lot of people, including myself, drove down from the Sac and bay areas to Irwindale. With a 6 to 7 hour drive after the event, late ending times would be a killer for out of town people.

16. The video screen was a good idea, but the screen was too small to really be effective.

17. I think that the start time was nice at the D1 in Feb. Although waiting in line for an hour and a half to pick up will call tickets was REDICULOUS!! Especially when people who did not pre-purchase their tickets only had to wait 5 to 10 minutes. The advance purchase tickets should've been mailed out to us!

18. A pit reporter or tech report would be really cool as long as you could hear what was being said. And once again, English should be the language used. After all, we are in the U.S.

19. A two day event like the JGTC would be really nice. I felt kind of rushed with just one day of the event. I would gladly pay $50-$60 for a two day event with nice passes like we got from the JGTC live event.

20. That was the smoothest running traffic and parking lot setup that I have ever seen at an event. Rivaled only by the JGTC in December.

21. I think that manufacturers should jump in now. That will increase the size of the sport and raise the level of competition. Drivers that belong in the D1 will be able to pick up sponsors, so that "eliminating the little guy" factor isn't even applicable.

22. Drifting is already about all of these components. It's already about style, flair, skill, speed, and hosrsepower. So this question doesn't even really count.

23. I would surely watch any and all broadcasts about drifting. But I think that the sport still has a year or two of growing to do before it will reach the popularity level needed to support those kinds of broadcasts.

24. N/A

25. Once again I'd surely rent/buy all of those DVD's. I personally buy every event DVD that I can get my hands on.

26. Exhibitions are a great way to spread the sport. Plus it's a great way to discover new and upcoming drivers. People will continue to show up to exhibitions, especially if they are tied in with car shows.

27. False

28. A regular announcer with the technical knowledge of drifting would be much more important then some idiot trying to use the latest in hip hop slang.

29. D1, Formula D, and maybe an amatuer/privateer series would be about all you need before you would lose your target audience with too much confusion.

30. If there was enough notice posted then distance isn't that big of a deal. I make the 7 hour drive down to Irwindale and Fontana every time that there is an event.

31. Make sure to keep it fun and not all about the money. Also, better crowd control at events would be a MUST! The crowd at Irwindale was pathetic. With all of the throwing things, blowing up condoms and throwing them around. Those kinds of things should not be tolerated.

32. 26 years old

33. I'm an aircraft mechanic during the day and I run a rotary engine rebuild shop out of my house on the side.

34. no

35. I have only been practicing for 2 years and I have spent about $18,000 but that includes building my car from scratch and going through tires.

36. The silvia bodies seem to be the easiest cars to drift. In all honesty, any rear wheel drive car can be used for drifting. I personally prefer the FC3S. The "why" portion depends on your own personal preference.

37. It's important for the judges to be well versed in drifting. They don't really have to be the Drift King, but they do need to be known and be proficient and they need to know what to look for.

38. I personally don't care what the car is. It's all about the driver and how good he is at manipulating the car to do what he wants. You could put Rhys Millen or Suenaga in any car and they would be able to put on one hell of a show.

39. I'm hoping that you are someone that can actually make decisions that will affect the events and not just someone who made up a huge list of questions to see how many people will answer them.

Zach

Comment

1. Admission price - I think you're at the upper limit for what people are willing to pay. 30 per person (or 50 for vip) once or twice a year is something that most people are willing to pay. That's a little cheaper than the average disneyland ticket. Once you start to get up to $40-$50, people won't be able to afford it as easily. Remember, many people are briniging their girlfriends / boyfriends, brothers or sisters, friends, etc. Plus the inflated price of food.... it gets super expensive super quick. If you make it spendier, you'll still have fans, but you won't sell out.

2. big enough for drifting - i don't see why it wouldn't be. I liked the JGTC setup because it was new and different, and higher speeds but you only saw the cars for 5 or 6 seconds. Irwindale, you can see much of the run depending on your location (And the photographers can shoot the ENTIRE run, not the same apex of the same corner).

3. JGTC – Dope as hell. The racing is great, it's like INDY car racing in the style and such, but i relate to the JGTC cars much more. I loved the open pits! Great experience, if they came to the US 3 or 4 times a year, i'd pay my own way to go to every race!

4. Parking lot - bleachers are a MUST. But if the area hasn't had a major drift show, and doesn't have a good track to host it at, then i think the parking lot would work. California Speedway has had some great turn outs for simple drift day events out there. I wouldn't suggest abandoning a track like irwindale for a parking lot, but if your choices are parking lot or nothing at all, then definately go for the parking lot.

5. FM radios - nope. Not a fan. At the NHRA races, you can tune your car radio to a frequency and hear the announcements which is cool if you're in the pits. But if I'm staring at the races in the bleachers, i expect to be able to hear the announcements.

6. amateur drifter - not me

7. $4,735 for a 3-day drifting school - there are alot of professional schools and instruction available, but I don't see the average drifter as being someone who can afford almost $5k for a school. I think most would rather learn on their own, or pay for some private instruction from one of the pros at a drift day or something like that. Besides, i'd feel much better paying a couple hundred bucks to a fellow drifter knowing I'm helping him out than to just dump my money into a school that probably has never actually WON a drifting cmpetition.

8. Do you agree with this statement? “If drifting happens anywhere except the greater Los Angeles area, it’s worthless. I wouldn’t watch, attend or participate if this was the case. Only the top names and the best shows can be found on the Pacific coast.” - nope. For awhile, people said the same thing about car shows and drag racing outside of LA / Cali. While California still has some of the biggest and best events, the other events are very high quality as well.

9. D1 org - it was fine by me. Alot of the track workers didn't know what was going on, but that's come to be expected. I wish the media pod wasn't so crowded (it was around 1/3 of the size of last year), but i doubt they'll change that. They really don't give a crap about the media, they've shown that all 3 years so far.

10. language for PA announcers - English first, japanese second

11. pain in the @$$ that a lot of the drivers can’t speak English well - Nope!! Even when the D1 judges were talking, and Toshi was translating, you could still understand them just fine. Remember, even the olympics are done in dual language. At any high level event, you start to expect this.

12. ‘down time’ - need it? no. But it's nice to be able to grab food / drinks / go pee / check out the vendor midway without having to worry about things. I'd love to see round of 16, break. Round of 8, break. Then semi finals, then 3rd plcae, then 1st place, then medals, then exhibition if possible

13. Which is best from a spectator’s standpoint? - Competition that starts in the day with the finals at night under the lights. D1 was a bit tough to watch the opening rounds at.

14. Looks / performance / tuning / drivers = YES TO ALL!!!

15. How late should a drifting event end? - 9pm is plenty late, even on a saturday night. I liek to get home before 11, many people have stuff to do the next day.

16. I didn't really watch it, except for the opening ceremonies

17. What time should a drifting event begin? - either 10a or noon. Any earlier and i won't get there until 10. Any later and you have it in the heat of the day. I want to check some stuff out before it gets TOO scorching hot

18. Pit Reporter - sounds ESPN-ish. You have to remember that announcements have delays, and you can't talk in long full sentences like you can on TV, or it gets jumbled up in the echoes. it'd be cool to see, not sure how effective the audio would be.

19. D1 access - I was media i got plenty of access (pits, staging lanes, etc)

20. Was parking and traffic control getting into and out of the event ok? - Much better than it has been the past few years!

21. Do you think that manufacturers belong in drifting? While Rhys and Sammy placed, several drivers gave them a run for their money. Let the big boys battle the privateers, may the best drifter win.

22. Drifting - control or power - Drifting HAS and WILL ALWAYS BE about car control. The underdog AE vs the 500hp S15. It should stay that way.

23. Do you wish that drifting were on TV? - CART is on maintream TV, but I'm never home to watch it. Same with HP TV and all those other tuner shows. I'm out and about almost every saturday and sunday. I'd rather watch a 1 hour show or something at 9 or 10pm on a weekday. Basically it'd be awesome if it was on TV, but i wouldn't stay home JUST to watch it.

24. FD and G4TechTV – AWESOME or P-fkn-lease? AWESOME!! Glad they got a TV deal, i think it will be VERY popular! i just wish i got the channel, but I don't =(

25. Blockbuster DVD's - GREAT IDEA!! However, I see a huge rush to get them RIGHT after an event. Seems like a short shelf life. I won't want to watch round 1 after round 3 happens and all the round 1 coverage has come out in all the mags. I don't care what happened in round 2 or 3 of FD last year, because this year is almost here.

26. Exhibitions - THey're nice when they're with something else. Like a halftime show. But i'm not so sure I'd go to an event that was ONLY an exhibition. The only one that was SUPER cool was the JDM vs DTM car show 2 years back. THe car show was super dope, and the exhibition was the first time I had seen the signal cars drifting. I loved watching them open doors and hang out the window while drifting, and that's something you just won't see in competitions. But i wouldn't drive a ways and pay a buncha money just to see an exhibition.

27. “Option Video can’t be beat – I wouldn’t waste one nickel on any other video” – False. Variety is the spice of life. Even if they were the best ever, i'd still watch other videos.

28. Announcer - Toshi is a great announcer. Great mix of information and crowd-teasing hype. Not a fan of the hip hop DJ-esque announce.

29. How many sanctioning bodies of drifting should there be? 1. Same with Drag. But everyone wants a piece of the pie, and I think it brings the whole sport down.

30. How far would you drive or fly to go to a ‘major’ drifting event? - I plan to attend the entire FD circuit this year. Many of my friends flew 1k miles to go to D1 this weekend. Don't expect people to fly 1k miles to an event more than once or twice a year, but for the big shows, it will definately happen.

31. Kill it - Too many sanctioning bodies and resources stretched too thin. Also, if tracks start refusing to allow drifting to happen. A slow expansion of the schedule through FD / Drift Day is great!! But if there are 20 drift "competitions" next year, it would kill it, because none of them would have huge turn outs.

32. Age - 22 this week

33. Occupation - photographer / editor for a few magazines

34. kids? HELLLLL NOOOOO!!!

35. Drifting spend - This year will probably be around 3k in expenses of going to drift events

36 and 38 - No best car. That's why drifting is so great! just like drag racing, there are hundreds of ways to get the job done. It's more about the driver than the car. I like watching the Japanese cars which we don't have in the states, but they're all dope as hell.

37. How important is it for a judge to be a big name in drifting? - Right now, it's everything. Reputation of the judges is huge. Without it, the results won't be trusted, even if they're the same that a non-famous judge came up with. In a year or two, as things progress, then it won't matter as much.

39. Like to say? - nothin. good luck with the project

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Deutsche
                  Hi,

I'm interested in what paying spectators (and some amateur drifters) thought of this event as well as some other general questions about drifting. Thank you for taking some time (this is kind of long and may take about a half-hour) to reply to this post with brief but meaningful answers to some or all of these questions.

I’m not asking who you are or for any personal information. I know that a lot of us know each other on the board here and we really know who we really are in real life. If you’d like to be anonymous in your answers, be creative – I’m sure you know what I mean.

If you wish to answer the questions – great. Please don’t insist on knowing who I am or why I’m asking. Some of the questions are very pointed and direct. Some may lead you to believe that I’m a moron. These are the questions you can choose to not answer – I know how much of a moron I am, you don’t need to remind me.

Flame elsewhere - serious replies here only - please.

Thank you.

Mark

1. Was the price of admission for D1 fair? Would you gladly pay more? If so, how much more? If not, where should the admission price be?

>>>cheeper the better as long as they make a little money...its a busness after all

2. Is the space for D1 at Irwindale big enough for drifting? Are you close enough to the action? Is the course good enough to see what the best drifters can really do or do they need more space? Was California Speedway better (GT Live / D1GP in December, 2004)? If Fontana was a better place for drifting, why?

>>Irwindal is a lot better.

3. JGTC – Dope or whack – why? Does it have a future in the US and why or why not?

>>>JGTC= pimp..ive seen it before in JDM land, so i dont think a lot of people that oly seen the GT live event seen how cool it can be with full feald of cars

4. Would a drifting event taking place in a parking lot be ok? Or would it be lame? Realize that this parking lot would be HUGE! It could allow for different track layouts to be set up over the course of a weekend. It would be big enough for 4th gear corner entries. There might be some bleachers, but odds are, spectators would stand behind concrete barriers – about 50 feet or more away from the track. Is standing lame or are bleachers a must?

>>>As long as the drifting is good and we get a good view, it could be on mars for all i care

5. What if there was no PA system at an event and the only way to hear the commentators was with a Walkman or other FM receiver?

>>>PA system is cool..but get better personalty to work the croud

6. As an amateur drifter, would you pay $50, $100, $150, $200 or $250 to spend a morning in a drifting clinic and an afternoon on-track with both in-car and on-track coaching? Assume the instructors are HIGH level American drifters who may be fairly well-known, but not championship-winning D1 drivers. The other side of this coin is “I don’t drift – I just watch”.

>>>$150...

7. Would you pay $4,735 to go to a 3-day drifting school in Phoenix, Las Vegas, Los Angeles or D.C.? The school would provide the cars (GOOD, well-tuned, turbo-charged, very capable, new or 1 or 2-year old cars from a major, well-known manufacturer), tires, suits, helmets, gloves, shoes, on-board data acquisition, hotel shuttle to and from the school and videotape / DVD of classroom lessons, all of your on-track sessions from on-board cameras and each debriefing session. Insurance would be available for another $100 per day and would limit your liability to $2,000 if you cause more than $2,000 worth of damage to a car; but the tracks would be such that it would be very, very difficult to hit a wall or roll a car. Damage up to $2,000 would come out of your pocket – even with the insurance. This would not include clutches or tires – the normal wear and tear on these items would be covered by your tuition, so you wouldn’t pay if you fry a clutch or prematurely go through a set of tires. You wouldn’t be charged for normal wear and tear. The fee wouldn’t include airfare or hotel but would include continental breakfast each day, lunch each day and a dinner the last day. The instructors may or may not be big names in drifting, but they would be MORE than well qualified to teach drifting – guaranteed. Over the course of the three days, you would be on more than one track.

>>>nope

8. Do you agree with this statement? “If drifting happens anywhere except the greater Los Angeles area, it’s worthless. I wouldn’t watch, attend or participate if this was the case. Only the top names and the best shows can be found on the Pacific coast.”

>>BS..good drifting happens all over the world..Ive seen good events in the UK and Gemrany

9. Was the D1 event well organized? Did the day flow smoothly? Was there enough ongoing action or other show elements to keep you occupied? What was good and what was bad about the event?

>>This year..no..it seemd rushed..

10. Which language should the PA announcers speak in during the weekend?

>>American..cause thats what we all speak here in SoCal

11. Is it a pain in the @$$ that a lot of the drivers can’t speak English or speak it very well? Or is this unimportant as in “I don’t care what the drivers have to say – I just want to see the action!” or “The translators do a good job of translating what the drivers say – which I have an interest in hearing”.

>>>dosnt bother me a bit...

12. Do you need ‘down time’ during an event to take a break from the noise or get away the intensity or do you prefer non-stop action without letting up?

>>Breaks are good..for lunch and cruze the midway

13. Which is best from a spectator’s standpoint?

a. Drifting at night
                  b. Drifting in the day
                  c. It doesn’t matter
                  d. Competition that starts in the day with the finals at night under the
                  lights.

>>>D...

14. Are you interested in the look of the cars? The performance of the cars? The technology of the cars? The personal stories of the drivers?

>>All of them

15. How late should a drifting event end?
                  a. 5 pm
                  b. 7 pm
                  c. 9 pm
                  d. 10 pm
                  e. 11 pm
                  f. Midnight

>>>D...night drift is cool

16. Was the big screen at D1 effective? Could you see it? Was your view of the screen blocked? Was it too far away? Could you hear the audio part of the video over the PA system OK? Was the big screen a waste of time, money and bother? Did it ad anything to the event? Would you like to see what the Option Video cameras see on the big screen as they’re taping? Would you like to be able to see slow motion instant replays?

>>there was a big screen?

17. What time should a drifting event begin?
                  a. 6 am
                  b. 8 am
                  c. 9 am
                  d. 10 am
                  e. Noon
                  f. 1 pm
                  g. 3 pm

>>>10AM..lets me wake up and get breakfast

18. On the big screen, would you like to see an English, Japanese or Spanish speaking pit reporter doing pre and post-run interviews with the drivers as well as victory circle interviews? Maybe even a tech-tip or other pit report? Should this pit reporter be a guy or a gal and why? Is this idea lame?

>>>English..and i dont care what he/she is as long as they arnt a tool and know what there talking about..

19. Did D1 offer enough access? Would you like to be able to get closer to the cars? The drivers? Should it be two days or was one enough.

>>>Two days..and more interaction with the drivers and getting closer to the track are allways good

20. Was parking and traffic control getting into and out of the event ok?

>>good as can be expected

21. Do you think that manufacturers belong in drifting? Would you prefer they wait a couple of years before sending in heavyweight, well-financed factory teams? Do you think they take the sport up a notch? Do you think they make it impossible or impractical for ‘the little’ guy to have a shot at getting to the top of drifting? Does this give you (as a drifter) something to shoot for – getting a factory ride; or does this discourage you? Do you think factory drivers are worth what they’re given?

>>>Drifting is more about skil...HP has some to do with it..but if even more of the Big 3 get involved then its all cool...money makes the sport go round..

22. Do you think that drifting should be about finesse, control, style and flair – or do you think it should be about high speed and high horsepower?

>>>Skill,Style,Control....anyone can build big HP

23. Do you wish that drifting were on TV? I’m talking about a mainstream, major network that everyone gets. Would you watch a regular, weekly show that covered drifting events all over the country – even though the competitors might not be the top names in drifting – or would you rather see only the top names in drifting only once or twice a year on network TV?

>>dont care, i dont wantch all that much TV

24. FD and G4TechTV – AWESOME or P-fkn-lease?

>>see above

25. Would you subscribe to a regular release of drifting videos from Netflix, Blockbuster or some other major, well-established video / DVD rental outlet? Would you follow a season-long championship this way? These videos would be professionally produced – just like network TV, but would only be available through these rental stores. Each one would be about an hour long and would cover each of the entrants from qualifying through the finals. They would be available the Wednesday following an event. They might contain a few ads, but they wouldn’t have a lot of blatant, commercial content that was paid inserts which would tout a lame product as being a good one – you would only see ads and ‘deals’ or ‘special offers’ from only the top, proven names in speed shops, suspension upgrade manufacturers, power-adder manufacturers, wheel / tire plus-fitment parings and the like. The rental costs and terms would be just like any other video / DVD you get from these places.

>>if they were good and had an *Censored**Censored**Censored* load to tech

26. Do you think we’ve seen enough of ‘exhibitions’ and should move on to only hold ‘competitions’? Do you think that exhibitions are still cool enough that you would spend a day or a weekend going to one – especially if it was tied into a car show / bikini contest / DJ / etc?

>>>I give 2 shits about the other stuff..
                  but there needs to be feeder series all over the states to get more people more track time to get up to D1 level..

27. “Option Video can’t be beat – I wouldn’t waste one nickel on any other video” – True or False.

>>>False

28. What do you want from an announcer – mickey fickey hip hop hype in street-ese or information in English? (Not intended to offend anyone, so don’t go there – you know what I’m asking here, so don’t play ‘victim’ and read into the question).

>>>English...and one that knows drifting and cars..screw that other crap...try and make a decent image for sponcers and the like..

29. How many sanctioning bodies of drifting should there be? Is it ok for us to have several top dogs and a bunch of stragglers or would it be better for some sanctions to ‘mind there place’ and stick with being a feeder series for one or two big dogs – for several sanctions to work together to form a food chain?

>>>as long as they have a stable rules package and lots of cheep events..i dont care

30. How far would you drive or fly to go to a ‘major’ drifting event? A major event would have a tuner car show, bikini contest, vendor row, two days worth of activity, one or two ‘A’ drifters, many ‘B’ drifters and a few, good, ‘C’ drifters who likely would be eliminated in the first round in a home-built-looking ride. Would you make a weekend of it – hotel, meals out, maybe a flight and a rental car, too? What would you pay for a full-access weekend pass to such an event?

Im here in Norcal..i would go to SoCal or Vegas..but thats about it..

31. What do you think is the worst thing that could happen to drifting – to kill it in the US? What do you think it needs in order to survive and grow? Do you not worry about it – do you think that after a couple of years, when things even out, there will still be some grass roots drifting groups and one or two major, top series – kind of like NHRA / NDRA and IDRC / IDRA?

>>wost thing that could happen....it is.. Lots of people getting into it..that have no clue about car set up, wont learn what they need to knwo..spend an *Censored**Censored**Censored* load of money...then get out and *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* .

32. How old are you?
                  >>29

33. What do you do for a living (in general – I’m not asking where you work)?

>>outside sales

34. Do you have kids?

>>nope

35. How much money do you spend on drifting in a year? This could include building, tuning and drifting a car as well as the cost of going to drifting events or schools.

>>too much...just ask the wife

36. As a driver / drifter, what is the best car to drift and why (read 38 before answering)?

>>A RWD one..

37. How important is it for a judge to be a big name in drifting? If three to five judges at an event score relatively close to one another and if their scores agree with what the audience sees a majority of the time, is this ok? As long as a judge understands the judging criteria and consistently judges according to this, is this ok – even if the judge has limited experience or success in drifting?

>>A judge needs to know the inside of drifting..not just joe blow

38. As a spectator, what is the best car to see on the track drifting and why?

>> A RWD one.

39. What else would you like to say that hasn’t been asked?

>>

Thank you again for your time and your thoughts.

M D
                  Well looks like a need to add a few things down here so i can post this

Comment

Working...
                  X