ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think I could still drift? I'm going to try...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think I could still drift? I'm going to try...

I errantly placed this in the wrong forum...thanks to WINDING Master for saving the info for me to repost!

Hello everyone!

I've been into racing since about 1999, so I'm still fairly new, although I do alot of studying into the art & physics of racing. I was into road racing for about two years, going to Willow Springs, Thunder Hill with my car groups and wherever else I could get it (A closing AFB makes a GREAT place to learn to drive, can you say RUNWAY? )

But the 2000 Celica GT-S that I had could only get me so far, because it was just so un-supported in the industry at that time. Around early 2001 I started getting into Options videos and BMI, etc, and started watching drifting and Initial D. It was interesting at the time, but I didn't think I could do anything like that with a FF (something that's been proven that you CAN!). I just wanted something with a bit more power on the road course, and RWD so that I could finally experience a true sports car. I thought about a Supra at first, realized it's way too expensive, and then in Nov 02, I settled on a car I had never even considered....a 1993 Mazda RX7 TT(lower payments, woohoo!). So I picked up one for cheap, ran it quite a few times at the track, but realized that if I wanted to race confidantly, I'd need to rebuild the aging "98,000 miles on it" motor and chassis.

I did ALOT of upgrades on it, money that I would have put into buying the Supra I spent in getting the chassis back in shape, I did everything from rebuilding and treating the engine and tranny, to redoing the complete tired suspension (bushings are a BIATCH) and brake system. The car was running finally again by May-ish...I drove it slow, because it hadn't been dyno-tuned yet with the new PFC, until about the end of May. Got it tuned, and then...I had to ship it out over to England. The car is just waiting for a bigger intercooler so I can up the boost.

It arrived on Aug 22 03....but that veru day I was going to pick it up, I ended up going to the hospital with appendicitis. During the operation, the doctor screwed up, and cut my external iliac artery and vein, forcing me to have compartment syndrome in my lower right leg from the blood loss (9 units of blood!). I almost died on the table. But anyways..I had to get a faciotomy, then three surgeries to remove and debride the dead muscle in my leg. A final surgery stitched me up, and left me with a foot that doesn't work anymore, and no feeling at all from my knee to my toes.

Now...sorry to bothereveryone with all this graphic stuff...but I'm getting better finally, I'm regaining some sensation in my leg, and I'm able to walk now...not great, and I can't run or jump or do anything that I used to do..no sports or anything, because I can barely walk as it is. But I'm getting stronger...I was always very proud of my legs, I used to be very strong, squatting over 420, and leg pressing close to 700 when I was a bit younger.

I'm trying to get back in shape, and work out the movement and kinks. It's tough, because I have no electricity going on in my leg at the moment, so the little remaining muscle is frozen. I also suffer from dropfoot. If the nerves come back, I should be able to build up the little bit of gastrocnemius that i have left, enabling me to press down with my toes, finally.

The thing is, I've spent alotta blood, sweat, and tears on my car....and the passion for racing, and now..possibly drifting is there. I want to get better, so that I can drive again, and compete again.

I'm coming to Hawaii soon, most likely if I get discharged(most likely), and I'll be bringing my WRX and RX7 with me. The thing is, do you think I'd have a chance learning how to drift?

My wife talked me into it, so I ordered a nice, and REALISTIC set of pedals with a clutch, and a shifter with a FF steering wheel for my computer, and I've been practicing on the little GT Force that I have currently, trying to get my foot movements down again. I've been working really hard at practicing. I can drive my WRX now, and launch like I used to, except I still have problems with foot placement due to the loss of sensation. It's sorta done by "Muscle memory" I guess from driving all these years. I can drive a stickshift much better than an automatic, that's for sure.

I plan to run at Raceway Park as much as I can...If I get a good bit of disability, my wife said I don't have to work or anything, immediately cuz I need to relax a bit. I know it's kinda weird, and it's a question from straight outta nowhere, but alot of you already KNOW how to drift, so I figured I'd ask you. I've got so much energy, man..when I'm in the car, I feel great, it's like I've got my motion back, ya know? I'm just as fast as everyone else, when I'm in it...I'm not..well..handicapped. I dunno...maybe I just wanted to see what a drifter thinks...what some of you would think about someone like me, trying to learn. I don't want to embarass myself in front of the locals...ya know?

My wife is a local girl from Kalihi, she went to Farrington, and I lived in Hawaii for 4 years, kinda growing up there from 18 to 21 years...my wife's family lives there, and that's why we're going back, so that we'll have some emotional support. My wife is taking care of me at the moment, and she's doing a good job, too.

I just wanted to see what everyone thought. Hey, sorry for rambling, just wanted to say Hi...and introduce myself. Take care everyone, and Happy New Year!

-Mike AKA "AAK"

In my opinion it depend how well is your leg and how well your leg can handle it. If your leg is strong again go and drift but if not don't go and drift but wait until it's heal.

Comment

Re: Do you think I could still drift? I'm going to try...

damn...tell me you're suing the pants off of the surgeon.

sucks, but anything is possible if you're willing to work at it. I wish you the best of luck!

Comment

alright, I signed the petition. I dunno what good it'll do but with minimal effort on my part it's worth a shot.

Anyway, don't get discouraged. I'm sure you'll manage. I've seen kids missing legs that could skateboard better than I could in my prime so I just think it's all up to how determined you are. Even so, taco bell is a last resort. There are plenty of ways you can stay involved in racing, make a living, and keep your dignity in tact. Just count your blessings that you have such a supportive wife. She sounds pretty kicka$$.

Comment

I can't believe what happened to you man. It really pains me to hear about what you went through. I love racing, and motorsports. I don't think I would be sane if something like that happened to me. I sincerely hope you get your petition signatures, and revoke that law.

I can't say about drifting because I don't know how much control you have. Best of luck though, and just practice.

Comment

If you love drifting, nothing should stop you. Sorry to hear about the leg, thats unfair.

You could shift you weight to control the gas, or hand controls. I dont know, theres a way somehow.

Comment

Yea the military is fvcked like that. Did my 4 years and got the hell out.

As for Drifting. If Alex Zanardi can drive competitivly again, so can you. A little Redneck ingenuity will conquer anything.

Any questions or info you need or any ideas you might think that we have to make your life easier and you transition better, don't hesitate. I'm sure we all feel the same way bout that. It's one thing to get f'ed up serving your country but quite another to get served by your country.

Thats BS. I'm gonna sigh that thing.

Comment

Wow after reading about what happened to you, I have to say that you have a great attitude! Keep it up!! I will go sign up on that website as well. I think its horrible that they can do something like that and then treat you that way after the fact. As for drifting, you can definately do it. Since you are healing, I think Chas had a great idea. Any strain you can take off your leg while you are driving will help it heal faster. A floor pedal only pulls a throttle cable connected to your throttle body plate(s). I'm sure you can adapt that to control the throttle with a different part of your body for the time being, but design is the problem. Like you mentioned, throttle control is very important, something that you have to be able to control in increments (cant be all or none). I will have to think about it and get back to you.

Comment

oh man...

I'm a 4th yr medical student w/ a background in surgery so your story has me intrigued quite a bit. Seriously, it's not like I was there or have expert knowledge of the situation but you're very fortunate to have kept your leg and function on a Rex the way you describe.

With a foot drop, life is not likely to be good especially if you do a lot of heel-toe'ing on your cars. The only thing that I can think of to adapt to a drift style (since you will be using brakes a lot) is to use a good ankle brace/stiff ankle shoe + serious sports rehab or try what they call Left foot braking and a touch more on e-braking than you might be used to.

I have to admit that the legal roadblock sucks a huge stick especially since appendectomies are very common bread/butter procedures that I'm blown away at how far it got. On the flip side, I understand that there's huge resentment against the medical community and rest assured that no doc out there is going to deliberately whack you...it's against ethics and gigantic legal issues.

From what I see though is that as long as racing/drifting isn't your sole breadwinning skill, you might have a tough time filing for grievances.

If it feels any better, I've drifted an automatic with my right ankle busted in an aircast, so there's still hope

Comment

Excellent. Everyone meet Juxtapose. He is the official fixer upper of the site when we all get hurt. Jux meet all your new patients.

I think everyone should sign that thing. The military get's away with WAY too much. I spent my 4 years there and saw so much abuse of money, power and just about everything else you can think of. It's pretty bad. This just burns my asz.

I think that is absoluty right. You may can adapt something electronic like a speed controller. Don't know how hard that would be but for RC cars those speed controllers are pretty accurate.

Comment

here's an idea that nobody may have thought of yet...... and this is only a worse case scenario like your leg never gets better and you don't have use of it.

Just hook up a throttle cable to the shift lever sort of like the brakes for a bicycle or something. All you gotta do is squeeze. It shouldn't be too hard to engineer. Just gotta make sure sure you got enough length. That would be pretty cool modulating the throttle with yer hand while shiftin. Might be hard to steer though since you'd have to have one hand on the throttle and one on the wheel.

Or here's another idea along the same line.
                      You know how some trick bikes (bmx's) have mechanisms that let the handlebars go 360 degrees and the brakes still work. you could try building a larger version of that and have it mount to the steering column so the cable wouldn't bind when you turn the wheel. Again, shouldn't be hard to engineer but may be costly. Dunno

Just some ideas......other than that good luck with your recovery.

Comment

btw this is what I'm talking about

Comment

That's extremely interesting.....thanks very much for the information. Those are both valid ideas...and I'll keep them in mind. I know that everything in driving revolves around being quick and sure, and I need to be able to do the same things just as well.

Hmm...thank you for the post..it's very informative.

Comment

Man, I was really touched by your story. I signed the petition to abolish that dumb Feres Doctine and I don't see good reason why everyone shouldn't sign it. I think that you should be able to work it out s that you can drift without engineering something to change the cars controls. Just keep on exercising you will get there. Wow, your wife sounds awesome. You must be lucky guy.

Comment

This is why drifting isn't like street racing drifters support one another.

Comment

Working...
                              X