Traction Control FOR Drifting?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traction Control FOR Drifting?!?

Sorry if this is a repost.. but I was wondering how everyone feels about the use of traction control devices for drifting?

Racelogic are releasing a Drift version of there traction control which allows for more than the 20% slip that there standard "race" systems allow. This should allow for up to 90% slip and will still offer the launch control and data logging options.

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/traction/driftadjust.htm

Rumor is that the Jasper Supra is already running this and some other "leading" teams are considering it (including Japan D1 Drivers!)?

Personally I don't have the money to buy this and experiment, but I am curios to see how well it can work, and if it does offer an advantage for drifting...

why would u need a launch control on a drift car? that i see as pointless but a 90 percent slip control may have its uses altho i dont think any of the d1 pros US or Jap need TCS

Comment

I can see the launch control helping on the tighter courses to get more speed into the first turn... this could even help at Irwindale if you notice everyone is always trying to start as far back as possible to get the most speed built up before the bank.

Do the pro's "need" it? probably not. Can they use it and benefit from it? That is what I am wondering...

Also noticed a nice feature is the full throttle up-shift, this can also be used for downshifting in the middle of a turn, where you want to keep the engine on boost and making noise to help with the overall effect.

Comment

i argee in a sense but we dont need extra noises the full throttle up shift is a great feature yet at iriwindale the only cars that are able to drift the whole bank are turbo charged and even if they have the tcs are still limited by the tranny ie kazama is in 4th all the way on it so having tcs wont really help him there just as an example but i do agree that it would help on tighter course

Comment

Kazama is the perfect example, if you watch his in car vids he actually has to let off and/or clutch during the bank which increases the possibility of losing speed/smoke/angle. If you could set the tcs to just the right amount of slip to make optimal smoke while maintaining angle and speed you could just keep the throttle pinned the whole way. You may also need to set a temporary rev limiter (as used in the launch control) to keep from running out of revs and hitting a hard fuel cut.

also I know D1 used the GPS "vbox" style monitors in many of the cars at the Feb. 05 D1, but never heard much else about it. Who had the highest speed on the bank? Most angle? Was this ever mentioned anywhere?
          Last edited by z-dorifto; 03-20-2005, 12:10 AM.

Comment

is it on one of the JIC cars? and if so, does it make a noticable difference?

PS: good to see ya back on here man .

Comment

Originally posted by yarzan
              is it on one of the JIC cars? and if so, does it make a noticable difference?

PS: good to see ya back on here man .
              I don't actually have any first hand experience with this tcs. I was wondering how it works for drift, that is why I posted here. Good to see you on here too

Comment

i remember that they handed out a sheet that showed all the speeds and the trust s-15 and amemiya rx-7 had 100 mph runs during qualifying but back to the tcs i think that all the d1 drivers left off at some point through the bank to set up for the switch back because its clear to everyone that the D1 pros are able to pull the whole bank with no problems (exception corollas under powered cars) dont see me as trying to fight with you man! i totally dig on this idea but i still think its kinda of a waste for the cars to use

Comment

D1 Drifter I didn't mean to sound argumentative. I appreciate your input and am simply trying to get a better understanding of how this may work on a drift car.

When I first heard about this my first instinct was that is had no place on a drift car and I am still not convinced that it does. I guess what I'm hoping for is more oppinions from those that have used it such as Jasper, and any other teams that may be using tcs. Also this system may be more benficial to a novice drifter who hasn't yet dialed in there throttle control skills

Comment

They should also have the cars set on cruise control and sutopilot, sensors that monitor how close the car is to surrounding objects, measures G Force and slip angle, has a gear drive motor attached to the steering rack and adjusts that for optimal performance while the TCS controls the throttle and automatic transmission is controlled by the ECU.

Then, to determine the winners, the audience is polled for what color car they liked the best. When the winning cars are determined, the "drivers" who have been watching the whole time (in their full gear and helmets of course) wander on to the track to recieve the prizes for watching their car win.

I don't know any racing series that allows traction control other than launch provisions, and even in F1 that is getting phased out.

Traction Control = L.S.D.

Comment

hahahaha then it would RC car drifting!

Comment

Originally posted by D1 DRIFTER
                        why would u need a launch control on a drift car? that i see as pointless but a 90 percent slip control may have its uses altho i dont think any of the d1 pros US or Jap need TCS
                        1/4" clutch throw with 450rwhp... hooking it up in 3rd can be debatable. Anyway the RaceLogic unit is an awsome unit and the new unit is sure to impress.

Comment

So you do use this on the Jasper drift Supra? Is this Tyler or one of the Team/Shop crew? Any additional input would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by _PG_
                            They should also have the cars set on cruise control and sutopilot, sensors that monitor how close the car is to surrounding objects, measures G Force and slip angle, has a gear drive motor attached to the steering rack and adjusts that for optimal performance while the TCS controls the throttle and automatic transmission is controlled by the ECU.

Then, to determine the winners, the audience is polled for what color car they liked the best. When the winning cars are determined, the "drivers" who have been watching the whole time (in their full gear and helmets of course) wander on to the track to recieve the prizes for watching their car win.

I don't know any racing series that allows traction control other than launch provisions, and even in F1 that is getting phased out.

Traction Control = L.S.D.
                            wait... thats D1!

Comment

Now I don't understand how that has any place in competitive drifting. Having tools to simply measure your performance is one thing, but completely eliminating the need to MODULATE THE THROTTLE, and having an electronic device do it for you is just plain wrong.

Check out this blurb from one of the vendors selling the device:

"2) Lets you do nice controlled powerslides around corners like a professional driver. You can hang your rear end out as far as you want without the fear of it coming ALL the way around!"

I don't understand how that could be a legal device in professional drifting.

Comment

Working...
                              X