Super or Turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super or Turbo?

heyo i was just wondering.. what do u think is better, super charger or a turbo? les say for drifting more than draggin.

it is all totally preference from what most people are gonna say.......superchargers have no lag and a nice powerband but turbos give more power and the whole bov and what not....

i like both and depending on ur car one might be easier to work with then another

Comment

I like either. More power is good.

Comment

turbo..if you are worried about lag then you have to do research for the right kind of a/r, trim , compressor, turbine aplication for you.

Comment

Turbo

Turbo is a lot better to have but it also depends on the car and the set up. You can tune a turbo a lot more to get beter horse power gain and a supercharger can only get you bout 20 percent more hp unless you plan on spending a whole $hit load of cash. But if you know what your doing than a turbo would be good. The only disadvantage is when the turbo boosts in a croner while you are drifting. That is a pain in the a$$!

Comment

been and cheese burritos if you ask me...give the biggest performance boost.....especially when stuck in rush our traffic.

Comment

supercharger has the most linear power. there's no lag however its power is pretty much restricted to the pulley. Not to mention it costs power to make power. However turbo is pretty much free power, it doesnt really rob anything just produces heat. So if u have a well intercooled turbo youre all good.

Comment

When I think of a supercharger on a car, I think of a american car........

When I think of a turbo on a car, I think of a import.......

Comment

Do superchargers produce the same amount of power if the car is always @ full throttle? Do they only produced more low end power? Becuase if they produce the same amount of power the whole way through, I say supercharger! Who wants to wait for a turbo to spool up anyway? Tick..Tock...Tick...Tock.....SPOOL!

Comment

N\A... nothing can beat that!!! hahahaha

F.I. is for weaklings...

nah im just kidding...

I personally dont like Turbos or Supers much but if i had to choose... id choose a turbo... they sound soo much sexier..

Comment

with a buttery smooth, predictable powerband and gobs of torque to break the wheels loose, i thought an SC would be perfect for drifting, and until lately i would have answered your question that way.

HOWEVER, building a custom SC setup for the KA24de was more daunting than i prolly could have imagined, and as more parts started to come together the less room i found for everything...

came to the conclusion that i could build a turbo setup for under $1000 and get the same or better results, with a lot less down time and a lot less sweat.

what im getting at is that even if there is a SC kit for your car, i think it would be better to piece together a custom turbo kit; (also surprisingly less work than a custom SC kit.) you can change boost on a whim, which makes it ideal for transition between the track and the ride home.

Comment

turbos in the long run are bad for yor engine all that hot air being sucked in.

Superchargers got no lag and hellyeah more effecient

Comment

Uuummmm...No. Contrary to popular belief, turbos are not bad for an engine, retards are (and I dont mean those of the timing kind). One, they dont inject exhaust gas if that is what you are thinking, you can mount a CAI to the compressor side of a turbo and then run it through an IC. So temps arent that big a deal. People that run too much boost on engines that arent set up accordingly is what ruins engines.

Comment

i tried to put this in last night, but it wasnt working for some reason...

Originally posted by Fc3SDrifTouge
                            turbos in the long run are bad for yor engine all that hot air being sucked in.

Superchargers got no lag and hellyeah more effecient

facts? numbers? cmon man you have to back this up with something..

turbos are bad because of the hot air? why do you think the air is hot? cause its in the engine bay next to the exhaust manifold? nope. anytime you compress air it gets hot. thats just the rules. when you use a supercharger, it compresses air, and it gets hot.

its a good idea to use an intercooler for both applications.

SC more efficient? man are you serious? centrifugal superchargers do have some lag, and even with a positive displacement blower it steals low end power to get the lobes inside moving. also, once roots-type blowers start heating up (and they will), they become (guess what!)... inefficient.

turbos make use of wasted air to push fresh, compressed air into the engine. they increase underhood temps, but every power adder does. and as long as you select the right turbo for your application and treat it like it needs to be treated, they generally seem to be more efficient.

every power adder varies for every application. turbos can be sized and tuned to give power just about anywhere in the powerband, and superchargers can do the same... for certain applications. IMO its inferior, however, they work wonders in places where a turbo setup would be too complicated or costly, or simply for the difference in power added.

Superchargers are good because of the smoother powerband, which could be great for drift. However, its easier, cheaper, and will make my car faster to be turbo, and comparing cost versus cost, i can get a lot more out of it than i could with just about any supercharger.

/rant
                            Last edited by essphorteen; 01-29-2004, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X