X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop quiz for rotorheads!!!

Here's a stumper... maybe.

What does the "RX" in "RX-7" stand for?

This may not be too hard. Don't know how big of rotorheads you guys are. Just got bored and thought I'd post something. Here's a hint. It's the name of my Rx-7 "club"

rotary s(X)ecret!? lol, i dunno. I know its rotary something.

I feel so bad for not knowing

Comment

Either:
      Rotary Experiment (or Experimental)
      or
      Rotary, and the X is just there to sound cool.

Those are teh two versions presented by Mazda Officials.
      Last edited by Shin_Kudou; 01-07-2004, 03:42 PM.

Comment

oh crazy

Comment

I've always heard it stood for 'Rotary Experimental'. Those japanese sure like their english acronyms, crazy bastards!

Comment

Rotary Experimental. THat's the name of my little group. There's 4 of us that own RX-7s, but about 8 cars in all. One guy owns 3 1st gens, one drivable two parts cars, and one 2nd gen, one guy has a first gen, another guy has the most powerful of the bunch, a second gen, and I have a first gen. So no 3rd gens for us. Give us old skool.

Comment

That's the quiz? Ask something less obvious.I thought that was common knowledge.How about,how many times does the e-shaft rotate per revolution? And what does that number have in common with the 13B?

How did I repeat myself..weird.
              Last edited by Feint; 01-08-2004, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Feint
                That's the quiz? Ask something less obvious,I thought that quiz? Ask something less obvious,I thought that was common knowledge.How about,how many times does the e-shaft rotate per revolution? And what does that number have in common with the 13B?
                wtf? how many times does the eccentric shaft rotate per revolution? you cant measure sepcific rotations but you can measure revolutions. so one full turn = 1 revolution. the rotor goes through three combustion cycles in this time. The only linking thing i could think of would be 1 crank revolution 3 combustion cycles =1 and 3? Or do you mean to say how does the size of the engine relate to the engine code? 13b vs 1.3 l or 1300cc
                Last edited by 1.3ltre; 01-08-2004, 03:22 PM.

Comment

The e-shaft turns three times per revolution of the rotor,The displacement is measured as 1.3 liters,so per 1 revolution you have 3 turns on the e-shaft.That's what that number has in common with the 13B,the displacement.

Comment

rotary experimental. See I like imports too :P

Comment

Originally posted by Feint
                      The e-shaft turns three times per revolution of the rotor,The displacement is measured as 1.3 liters,so per 1 revolution you have 3 turns on the e-shaft.That's what that number has in common with the 13B,the displacement.
                      Yea i guess. The eccentric and the rotor spin together though, so 1revolution per rotor would be the same for the crank. i think the better observation would be: for one eccentric shaft revolution 3 combustions occur. Thats more significant in how the engine works using the combustion process anyway. But yea i get ya.

Comment

The displacement was mesured by mazda back in the day as 2-stroke displacement. This is only what i heard on an Rx7 forum that i'm a member of. So if you were to messure the displacement in 4-stroke terms it would be 2.6 liters.... Or possibley even 3.9 liters depending on how you looked at it... I'm not saying this is true its just what i heard.

Comment

Oh god..don't start the 1.3Lvs2.6L argument please!!! I've already had enough of it on the www.rx7club.com

I don't want to have to get into a huge debacle about it over here, too!!!

It's 1.3L, that's the way Mazda and the original engine specification was stated and that's how much it is...don't try to apply reciprocating engine values on a rotory.

LOL...

Comment

Actually not all two rotors are 1.3L. My 12A, as well as all other 12As, is 1.1L. At least that's what it says on the internet and in the computer I use to find which oil filter fits my car.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchangelX
                              Oh god..don't start the 1.3Lvs2.6L argument please!!! I've already had enough of it on the www.rx7club.com

I don't want to have to get into a huge debacle about it over here, too!!!

It's 1.3L, that's the way Mazda and the original engine specification was stated and that's how much it is...don't try to apply reciprocating engine values on a rotory.

LOL...
                              We do live in a 4 stroke world lol.That arugument will never end for one reason.Both sides have more than enough to support each others theorys.

Comment

Working...
                              X