Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formula D (Atlanta) on G4tv; Feedback

Review 3 out of 5

It was pretty good, better than round 1 and I appreciated the 1 1/2 hour time slot but there are a number of things that I didn't like so much about the format and the method the drifting was shot.

I felt that too much time was wasted through clumsy driver interviews (especially in early matches), overly explained course descriptions and opinions when the spared time could have been used to air the top 32 drivers best qualifying lap. You guys seem to underestimate the solo run as if tandem is all that drifting is about. Through the solo runs without an opponent present to alter your pace and style everything is accentuated in hopes to make it into the tetsou. Some of best runs take place during them. It also gives the audience a visual explanation for other drivers not making the cut. So in the future I would hope that you G4tv/ formulad tv guys will choose to air the entire top 32 best runs. The reporter after each tandem battle asked the drivers the same questions over and over and over again, “what happened out their?”. A good 5 minutes could be saved if you just cut to the drivers responses and not focus on her asking the questions.

The method the drifting was shot was and improvement over round 1 and was clear to the viewer as too what we are following. I appreciate how you showed the remainder of a drivers run even if his opponents spun. The biggest problem with the method that the drifting was shot is that it was from the spectators POV rather than up close and personal. There was nothing in the footage that stood out from the footage that myself and other attendees at the event shot themselves other than the horseshoe aerial shots (which seemed low res by the way). I hate to always compare to option video but it has to be done. When they shoot D1 the cameras are position not only to capture all of the movements but also to maintain the illusion that the cars are traveling parallel to each other and perpendicular to the road, a method that you guys have not yet displayed.
    Last edited by my 1 88 u; 06-13-2005, 04:35 AM.

I thought that it was a great episode, and would like them to keep the drivers interviews and course discussion. A lot of people who watch the drifting on TV are not familiar with drifting and having the course layout and judging explained is a good thing. The driver interview gives them a chance to say something about their run - what broke, or what their opinion of the other driver is.

I'm all for the showing of the top 32 runs, and making the show a 3 hr episode

Comment

Yes, by all means let us cover motorsport with illusionary film-making techniques.

Seriously, why show what doesn't or rarely happens in the sport? What I'd like are a few more angles of significant corner entrances and exits.

It would've been nice to have more film from the high speed first corner at Braselton to get an idea of the differences in entrance speed and entrance angle.

Otherwise, everything went quite well in the episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Octagon
        Yes, by all means let us cover motorsport with illusionary film-making techniques.
        You cannot tell me that the method Option video uses to capture drifting is not interesting an exciting. Most people where lured into drifting because of video option. All cinematography uses illusionary methods to capture the most flattering elements of what is being filmed. Such as a profile shot of a car in drift will have less of a dramatic impact as front shot, a close up of two cars at tandem looks more exciting than a zoom out to include the path in the shot.
        Last edited by my 1 88 u; 06-13-2005, 08:57 AM.

Comment

it was alrite...cept the announcer kept saying "now he needs to play catchup."

someone get that guy a thesaurus

Comment

I totally agree that they should show the qualifying runs. They should try a live show, like how most motorsports are shown. Doing it this way is kool and all, but you already know who wins(kinda takes the excietment out of it).

How about those two little kids they interviewed lol they were JdM TyTe!!!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

We did show more of the qualifying 32 runs than he had previously. Honestly, those runs get somewhat tedious on TV. I dont underestimate the single run, but the way the competition is set-up, all the single runs are qualifying, and the actual competition begins at top-16. Thats where we start our real focus. I also agree that we want to improve the way we do interviews and you will see some changes in the Houston show and some more in Sonoma.

I disagree about the "spectator's' point of view. We have cameras on and in cars and we have shots from the pespective of the judges..no "spectator" has that view. As for the "low res" overhead shot, that is called 24p and it is a setting for digital video that gives it a more "film" look. We shoot everything on Beta or 3-chip DV..thats not exactly consumer level gear.

I have watched Option and I do like how they shoot. This is Formula D, and we will find a way to capture the events that is compelling for our audience and that includes exploring new angles and techniques. When we find the ones we love you see more of them. It's an ever evolving product until it's perfect. It's not perfect yet, but it's certainly heading that way.

Thanks for the feedback. One thing you can never accuse us of is not taking your feedback and comments seriously.

Comment

id like to see a speed gun on them for first turn speed.. no bs numbers. . the real numbers..maybe chase cam views.. you know a cam on the back of the lead car.. yeahhhhhhhh!

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u
                  You cannot tell me that the method Option video uses to capture drifting is not interesting an exciting. Most people where lured into drifting because of video option. All cinematography uses illusionary methods to capture the most flattering elements of what is being filmed. Such as a profile shot of a car in drift will have less of a dramatic impact as front shot, a close up of two cars at tandem looks more exciting than a zoom out to include the path in the shot.
                  I can tell you that Option is great if you want entertainment, but lousy if you want JOURNALISM. Motorsport coverage is JOURNALISM, and as such it should be treated respectfully and covered in a manner that shows the competition fully.

There should be no tolerance for motorsports coverage that fails to display the sport fairly so that the happenings of the event are clear to see. With G4's coverage thus far, it's been fairly clear to see the entry and exit angles of the cars, gauge their distance and speed relative to each other, and see the entire course.

It's thus far been an average example of GOOD JOURNALISTIC MOTORSPORTS COVERAGE.

As such, I want for G4 to move further in that direction. Start to move the cameras so that the speed of the cars is more apparent, especially when there's a significant speed difference (for instance, Millen v Peters at Braselton). Begin analysis of the runs, compare previous runs to the current by layering the video feed, put a clock and a radar gun on the cars to give some comparative stats.

Feed the viewers relevent information and continue to be journalists. Please don't turn our professional sport into "sports entertainment". It's an insult to serious competitive drivers everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by cfrost
                    it was alrite...cept the announcer kept saying "now he needs to play catchup."

someone get that guy a thesaurus
                    Thanks for the feedback,
                    I critique myself when I MC and announce and I noticed I say that alot.
                    Noted and will diversify my dialogoue for viewing pleasure.

FD Houston will be a real dynamic show for sure, following the stories, the races and the drivers will be very cool!

See you in Sonoma!

Comment

Originally posted by G4tv
                      Thanks for the feedback.

It's an ever evolving product until it's perfect. It's not perfect yet, but it's certainly heading that way.

Thanks for the feedback. One thing you can never accuse us of is not taking your feedback and comments seriously.
                      thats why I give my opinions, you guys are great.

Comment

good job, looks like G4 listened for the suggestions applied em, and it worked. I think Rossi's eyeballs are going to pop out of his head soon though. With JRod announcing for all the runs...what is rossi's job? Can we just have mayleen ramey host the entire show? Did i mention she's hot?

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous
                          Thanks for the feedback,
                          I critique myself when I MC and announce and I noticed I say that alot.
                          Noted and will diversify my dialogoue for viewing pleasure.

FD Houston will be a real dynamic show for sure, following the stories, the races and the drivers will be very cool!

See you in Sonoma!
                          what folks dont understand is that youre up there for almost 8 hours and the runs being so short, its hard to come up with new things on the spot like that. especially with the excitement in the air.

give this dude some time to keep carving his niche in this. hes done a damn good job so far and constantly trying to improve.

Comment

<----- this folk understands that.

Just because you're up there so long doesn't mean you have to repeat a condiment so much. I'll say he's not nearly as bad as some of the guys we've had at D1GP (not toshi, the other guys), and he's doing a pretty decent job. It's not like we're all telling him he's an A-Hole, that's just my suggestion to help out...that and I'm pretty sure taka's last name isn't pronounced ayeahnew..but double check

Comment

Originally posted by cfrost
                              <----- this folk understands that.

Just because you're up there so long doesn't mean you have to repeat a condiment so much. I'll say he's not nearly as bad as some of the guys we've had at D1GP (not toshi, the other guys), and he's doing a pretty decent job. It's not like we're all telling him he's an A-Hole, that's just my suggestion to help out...that and I'm pretty sure taka's last name isn't pronounced ayeahnew..but double check
                              Thanks man, no worries!
                              I appreciate the feedback.
                              Nobody's ever corrected me about Taka's name so I do as I'm told.
                              Thanks again and when are you coming out as I'm told you're getting behind the wheel, basically when can I mis pronounce your name???

You'll see once you meet me I'm not that bad of a guy!!!
                              See you in Sonoma???

Comment

Working...
                              X