ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how bad would it suck to drift in a automatic????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how bad would it suck to drift in a automatic????

i have an oppertunity to but a very nice barely used 93' 240sx but it is an automatic would that suck to drift in or would it be fine????? please help asap

well you definitely cant shift lock..........

you could do the "mandatory" sr20 swap with trans and take care of that. although that is some work heehee.

I think many people get the sr20 too early in relation to their drift skills though.

Comment

yeh i want to get the swap but i was goin to do what u said and wait a lil while but for the meanwhile would it be harder/ would it work if it was automatic rather then a manual car?????

Comment

why waste all your money on a sr20? ...seriously if u live in the states and have an sr20 where do you think your going to use all that potential on the street besides the track? save the money up and fix the car up or use the money to get an even better car....... 3 grand put into a car just to go around parking lots and corners and S turns? i mean there are some big places to do high power drifts but the only time you would seriously need that engine but be like doing the corner at the USd1gp... aint worth it in my mind... from the info i get from some peeps here about auto drifting is its not all "bad" ...you can still drift just that you wont learn as fast and there wont be that many techniques to use and so on and so on....

Comment

very true...

Comment

true but i will also use the car to drag and plus it is only $2000 so i was wondering what "you" would do

Comment

Selling it would be soo much easier and cheaper if you REALLY want an manual.

But hey, its wheels.

Comment

well, my car was an auto, and the SOHC died. Sooo I put in a newer KA...and made it manual, and even if the car is auto...s13's can be converted very easily to 5speed. Don't look past a good car for a good price because it is an auto. That is an easy fix!!!

Comment

nothing wrong with an auto. just dont have as many techniques available to you, but still do-able.

Comment

I only a few month ago swapped over to a 6 speed transmission from my automatic 4 speed. Automatics still have a very high ability when it comes to drifting. But personally I consider it to be harder. For certian situations where youd' normally push in your clutch all you have to do is throw your trans into nutreal. Like when I used to do my 85mph long slides I'd have to come up throw it into netreal sway the car yank the ebrake then mash the brakes and then when approaching the turn throw it into 2nd gear and hit the gas. Its alot to think about...but if your practice you'll get automatic drifting down. I was 1000 times happier when I swapped over to manual though. Made alot of things easier and also gave me alot more options to use.

Comment

It can be done, but its just not all that fun cause you can't try a lot of different techniques all you can do is pull the e-brake (power over maybe??)...yeah its just as much fun as a manual

Comment

Some of the techniques that can be done with automatic transmissions are e brake, power over, throttle off, downshifting (very bad for your trans), dirt drop, up shifting, you can shift the weight off the back wheels by hitting your brakes (forgot what the name for that sytle was). Thats pretty much all the styles that I used to do when I had an automatic. Really in accounts of breaking out the rear end there isnt much of a difference. Considering the only advantage for the manual is to clutch kick. But during a slide is where you'll notice the big difference.

Comment

yeh how easy is it to convert(easy meaning how much momey involved???) also does anyone drag with a manuel

Comment

u can still feint...how much can u get it for?

Comment

it is only 2000 obo which i will prob talk them down to like 1,800
                              which is nothin really for a car with 133 k miles on it and a cd player in it

do u guys think it is worth it though i need to kno soon?

Comment

Working...
                              X