LHD vs. RHD... Pros vs. Cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LHD vs. RHD... Pros vs. Cons

(This is a repost from the grey market cars thread, I thought it would be a good topic. I do not understand the big deal about JDM. It does not affect drifting to me so who cares )

A couple of points from someone who has drifted LHD, RHD, and daily driven with both.

My S14 was nice and nimble, and everything you would expect from a LHD. However a few months back I bought a 32, However the 32 is much heavier in the front and harder to start into a drift. It does hold the lines better though. RHD is not noticibly different when driving is concerned. Except for 3 points:

1. Drive throughs of any sort are now a pain in the A**. Especialy at ferry terminals and border crossings, because you are not allowed to just pop out of the car and run to the other side.

2. You most definitly do NOT look pimp when you go to flash your headlights and end up turning on your windshield wipers instead.
    As well as using the turn signal when it is on the opposite side of the column. (most noticable repeat mistake when you have a LHD and a RHD.)

3. The 32 is dangerous as all hell!! There are no side impact beams and that is very disconcerting when making a left turn. When making a left you have to be absolutely sure nobody is coming, this often means waiting for the opposing turning lane to clear out so you can see.

Keep in mind North American roads were not designed with the RHDrivers safety in mind. Nor are North American drivers used to seeing a RHD car. I almost get into or cause an accident every month because some idiot is trying drive and stare at the same time.

I wanted the 32 for its ability to perform, not the novelty. Figure out why JDM is so important when the tuning market is becoming global. North American Manufacturers are fast rivaling the Japanese, all it will take to level the playing field is a little time.

I wonder if anyone here can fill me in on any of the finer points I may be missing.

i have to agree on the daily driving part with you i myself have a SW20(1991 MR2 RHD) nothing special dont drift it just daily driver all stock to me it shouldn't matter if it LHD/RHD/center you should be Dtifting becuz its fun not cuz ur car is "JDM" bah my to cents sry if it didnt help any point is RHD are kinda risky on cali roads wreckless *Censored**Censored**Censored* drivers and no way to go through drive through wtf is that!

Comment

For me in my gt-4 I just have passenger to handle the drive throughs, and our tolls just went to EZ-Pass, so I no longer have to use a little fish tank net to drop the coins in.

Comment

if your a mailman, jdm cars are a good thing

Comment

I think the bigger problem people get annoyed about is those that convert their LHD into RHD in a attempt to be more "JdM TyTe". Seems kind of stupid.

However, if I had something imported like a GT-4/Skyline/S15 I would probably have no money to convert it to LHD so I'd probably deal with it!

Comment

Well you see im sort of going through those problems now. Im from NZ so I drive on the left. But im living in London which is also the Left. Now the problems start when you cross the Channel to Europe. My god its gets dangerous.

Blind spots seemed to be my major problem. Especially curbs that I could no longer see say when turning left.

Comment

Working...
            X