FORMULA D at CHAMP CAR (Feedback)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FORMULA D at CHAMP CAR (Feedback)

With San Jose standing as the final Formula Drift exhibition held in conjunction with the 2005 Champ Car season - Long Beach, Milwaukee, Portland, Cleveland, Toronto, San Jose - I am interested in all y'all's reaction to the events themselves (if ya saw 'em) and also your thoughts on this alliance in terms of what it represents both to drifting and mainstream motorsports.

I'm obviously hoping everyone came out to every event, loved every second of it, and thinks the Champ Car / Formula D partnership to conclusively define brilliance, but I'll settle for honesty...

(Oh, and "Octagon," we've all read your attacks on the likes of Champ Car co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven - the guy who loves drifting enough to have brought it front and center to Champ Car's biggest race weekends and put the sport in front of over 620,000 fans - please refrain from reiterating your thoughts, and moreover if you're really that passionate about what Champ Car's new owners are doing wrong please know that I'm happy to arrange for you a meeting with them so that you can at least properly direct your thoughts and feelings.)

Peter Stark
    MediaWide Marketing, LLC.
    stark@mediawidemarketing.com

Peter - I was at both the san jose event as well as the Long Beach event, and had a frikkin blast both times! At San Jose, I had people come up and ask me if I was with the drifters (as i was one of the only photographers actually rushing to get behind the fences to take pics, while most of the photographers were trying to leave), and they all had great things to say. Asking what it was, where they could see more, etc. There was one guy who had gone to all of the champ car events, and said he loved the drifting. He told me "You guys tore it up in Cleveland, you tore it up in Toronto, this is gonna be AWESOME!". And that was on Friday, before they had even made their first pass!!

Like J-rod mentioned at the press conference - The fans are on their feet for the first 2 laps of the race, and the last 2 laps of the race, and they're sitting the rest of the 2 hours. But when the drifters come out, everyone is on their feet for the entire time, screaming their heads off.

I've heard that there has been some interest from NasCar to bringing drifting around. Not sure if the oval-loving left-turners will be as excited with drifting as the Champ Car people will, but it's just a sign of the times. Drifting isn't a joke. It's a motorsport designed with spectators in mind. And even if a professional "Series" has problems in the US (just saying IF! Not that it ever will...), I think that there will always be an outlet for Drifting as an exhibition / spectator satisfier. It's fun to watch, it amps up the fans, and it can be done with street cars.

PLEASE keep them around! in fact, PLEASE DO IT AT MORE EVENTS!!

Comment

like OMG i was at cleveland and like OMG OMG OMG

peter you coming to irwindale? i think you'll like my new seat.

but seriously, i was at clevland with casper, conrad, kenneth, dai, ernie and myself and it was an absolute blast, and everyone just loooved it.

bring it back and do it at every event next year!!

epecially houston grand prix if that comes back, i know a local guy who'd love to do it

Comment

I approve of Formula Drift gaining exposure at major road racing events, and Champ Car weekends like the Long Beach Grand Prix or "Roar By The Shore" at Burke Lakefront Airport are amongst the biggest road racing events of the year.

If you'd like to arrange that meeting, fine. They'll be meeting with a member of the press (former RPM Racing News columnist) and one of the sons of Sandusky Speedway and I'll certainly give them a piece of my mind.

Comment

Baby you know I'll be at Irwindale...skipping Champ Car Montreal to play with you fools! And Mike, I need to talk to you but lost your number; if you've got mine light it up. Otherwise get it from those we know, ya know?

You wanna talk SCCA into letting me roll shotgun again? We ain't on my home turf in Irwindale...

-Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Octagon
            I approve of Formula Drift gaining exposure at major road racing events, and Champ Car weekends like the Long Beach Grand Prix or "Roar By The Shore" at Burke Lakefront Airport are amongst the biggest road racing events of the year.

If you'd like to arrange that meeting, fine. They'll be meeting with a member of the press (former RPM Racing News columnist) and one of the sons of Sandusky Speedway and I'll certainly give them a piece of my mind.
            I know you're a fan of it and understand what we're trying to do here, that's why I singled you out!

As for meetings, if you feel you have a real, workable, positive and productive point or set of points that you vouch for as being worth me setting it up, done. As a former press man myself, I like to think that our ilk are generally in possession of the very finest observations...that you're of the Sandusky Speedway breathren speaks that much clearer to me as one who grew up in Akron before moving to Milwaukee and its comparable venues (Slinger, Hales, etc.).

So again, if you giving "them a piece of [your] mind" involves more than $hit-talkin' and constitutes something you truly believe to be in the best interests of Champ Car, open-wheel racing, and mainstream motorsports, I'd be honored to get you your time atop the soapbax...lemme know.

-Peter

Peter Stark
            MediaWide Marketing, LLC.
            stark@mediawidemarketing.com

Comment

San Jose was off the chain... the crowd went insane when we did the three car donuts... We were being treated professionally and respected by the officials and others at the track. Everybody had a good time.
              Hubert Young
              KORE 8 Films

Comment

Originally posted by motdyn_s14
                San Jose was off the chain... the crowd went insane
                off the chain goin insane huh?

Comment

i only saw long beach... based on what i saw there i would suggest spacing out the car into two groups. The cars were out there for a long time, and the tires weren't holding up. There was a lot of deadtime in between the pitting times. My suggestion, while one group pits to change tires, another group can go out and do thier exhibition run.
                  i would also suggest an in car camera so they can see how busy the driver works.
                  Last edited by swifty949; 08-16-2005, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by motdyn_s14
                    San Jose was off the chain... the crowd went insane when we did the three car donuts... We were being treated professionally and respected by the officials and others at the track. Everybody had a good time.
                    I'm with hubert!! Said it all, also it was nice meetng the drivers TWO times in one month too..not a bad time at either events held in July

Comment

I really enjoyed running the Champ Car events. Its good to be at the large motorsports events and hopefully it will help us get sponcors as well as bring in a new crowd to the races.

I would love to beable to continue the demos next year.
                      BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

i only ran long beach and san jose, but i too
                        did enjoy it a lot!!!
                        it was great to hear positive things from a crowed
                        who saw drifting for the very first time!
                        there's nothing better than drifting on the streets
                        of downtown without getting chased by cops

hiro

Comment

Don't forget Denver. We were at Denver this last weekend.

Comment

Seeing how I'm involved with Formula D and worked at Racer magazine for a short stint it's great seeing the traditional motorsports world embrace the youth and realize that we're the future of motorsports and car control yet we're still an action sport with 4 wheels that can be taken seriously.

I was lucky enough to be part of Formula D's growth in this second year and partook in the MC'ing of Formula D Demo's in:
                            Long Beach, Portland and San Jose

I must say that it was amazing to see these fans get down right more excited about the full course drift demo that we displayed rather than the main event of Champ Car race.
                            I'm not saying Champ Car is boring it's just that drifting in general captures the last lap of every traditonal motorsports race and puts it into a stand alone motorsport....

I hope to see Champ Car commit more to Formula Drift next year and you'll hear me yelling over the intercom.

Comment

Originally posted by swifty949
                              i only saw long beach... based on what i saw there i would suggest spacing out the car into two groups. The cars were out there for a long time, and the tires weren't holding up. There was a lot of deadtime in between the pitting times. My suggestion, while one group pits to change tires, another group can go out and do thier exhibition run.
                              i would also suggest an in car camera so they can see how busy the driver works.
                              I second that. Dead time is no good. spilt them into groups. and don't make it look it easy. Stick a camera in one of the cars, show the new crowds how hard it really is

Comment

Working...
                              X