V8-7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8-7

how good would a V8 1st or 2nd gen rx7 drift. I'm thinkin about getting an old 7 and ploppin a 302 or 350 in it. What kinda car would it be?

Years ago I had the pleasure to own a 80 with a 400 small block in it. It was the hairiest, scariest piece of metal on the road. It handled like a fat lady in a scoot-a-round in Wal-mart. It was awesome straight line but first curve you had to be going under 30 mph or you would bulldoze right off the road.

Take into account it was on stock suspension, iron block and a Chevelle rear end. With an LS1 it would be better for sure. Actually if you can find one, though it would be more expensive to build than a small block Chevy, is an aluminum Buick V8. Same as the Rover 8's that they put in MG's. Light and pretty fast.

I wouldn't waste the money personally. Get a 240 and go from there.

Comment

I second the "dont do it" motion.

Comment

NO PISTONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

That's all there is to say.

Comment

F U C K T H A T S H I T.
          Put that S H I T ina 240, leave it out a 7.

Comment

I hate to admit this but they are right. an iron block v8 will kill the handling. With time and patience the rotary can be a very rewarding powerplant and for drifting the handling of the RX-7 is very impressive. I wonder why you want to lose the rotary, is it because it's quirky and hard to live with or is it because of the lack of low-end response?

Comment

Originally posted by hachiroku-fc3s
              I second the "dont do it" motion.
              Third it.

Comment

I'll fourth that, keep that V8 out the 7 unless its an LS1 and even if its an LS1 I'm not sure about things..

I read something about Petit having to fab a new subframe and cross member in FD's for 20B swaps. That was needed to maintain balance and handling in the car. An LS1 is lighter than a 20B but I wider so the install would be different. I don't it would throw the weight distribution off to far. Just an excuse to get a CF hood, fenders and bumper.

Comment

ACtually the LS1 is thinner than the third gen engine with the turbo unit on it. It is wider than a first gen by far, but the third gen you actually free up some room side to side.

Besides, if you are gonna spend that much money, buy my FD.

Comment

fd's are too much for me. I'd like an fc with an LS1 like they do at www.hinsonsupercars.com. there fd does the 8th mile in 6.9@104 with drag radials and a nasty cam. they say the car handles like stock after thare done. watch some of their vids. they show the fd doin autoX with ease.

Comment

Been there and spoke to them. Thought about that for my car alot.

Comment

Originally posted by 1.3ltre
                        F U C K T H A T S H I T.
                        Put that S H I T ina 240, leave it out a 7.
                        Don't put it in a 240...try a supra....

Comment

or...you know...leave it in a chevy.

Comment

Originally posted by hachiroku-fc3s
                            or...you know...leave it in a chevy.
                            Yep!

Comment

I know you guys are alittle bias against american stuff but u cant beat the sound of a V8. i love my 240 and everything but when I watched the vids on the hsc site i loved the idea of having 400 hp+ out of a fairly stock motor. and the sound

Comment

Working...
                              X