Lighten Your Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighten Your Car

Well, I am writing this post because of a thought I had. I've always thought the big carbon fiber companies are focused too much on either 1. ricey stuff or 2. profits. This is where I step in. I am working on a deal to be able to provide drifters and BMW drivers (e30 and E36 chassis only) with carbon fiber parts on the cheap. I am interested in keeping the prices as low as possible, and will not be making bling parts unless you guys really want them. Here are pieces I am thinking of selling: hoods, trunklids, and fenders. I am going to try to provide good quality carbon fiber parts with the idea of light weight and affordability in mind. This in turn would lighten your cars for better power to weight ratio. Guys, give me ideas. Your wish is my command. Hopefully this idea can fly and I can give you all what you want.
    -Steve, owner, GRiD Race Technology
    *Mods: I am not selling anything yet, so don't move this. I'm trying to gauge interest to hopefully help out the drift crowd.*

well i dont have bmw, but i always liked seeing those full carbon dashes in my Drift Tengoku mags... not the dash trim either, the WHOLE dash

Comment

If you could make carbon rear hatchback lid for AE86 and make it cost less than $500.00 you'd sell lots of them. I'd buy one for sure.

Major stuff for the AE86 would be fenders, sunroof panel, and gas door. All the parts I've mentioned are rust issues on the AE so it wouldn't be just for weight savings.

There's already carbon hoods available for like $300 each so I wouldn't bother with that.

Anyway, thanks for at least putting the word out.

Comment

We need carbon fiber S13 trunk lids 89 -94 coupe

Comment

Carbon Fiber doors for a 95-98 240

Comment

..Sunroof panel... GREAT IDEA!! wow... i never thought about that one...maybe i wont weld mine shut...

Comment

RE:

CF parts for MA70 Supra. Alot of drifters are interested in MA70s, but are put off by their weight.

Comment

One thing you have to do is make them well. These VIS hoods and crap like that is the worst. It's one layer thick and wobbels and sways. Totally looks. I lucked out and got a 3 layer one. Looks like crap cause they didn't use one piece on the top layer but dam that thing is strong. Make them right and the world will beat your door down.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooney
                  Carbon Fiber doors for a 95-98 240
                  Those have been out for quite some while.

Comment

Well, we could use some more manufacture's of some, or some cheaper prices.

Comment

heh i drive a z31 300z so i could use carbon fiber just about anything but 0 funds atm, as soon as i get some cash i'll contact you, the idea is awesome and i'm sure it will fly

Comment

I refuse to offer an inferior quality product. I am extremely committed to providing a superior quality product that is better in every respect than 99.5% of the stuff out there.
                        As for your ideas, here are my responses:

Dashes- will not be stock style, will be created with emphasis on weight savings.

Fenders- most definitely. If demand is high enough, I may offer slightly flared fenders for most cars I make other parts for. (It may be possible to one-off certain parts as well.)

AE86 Sunroof panel- simple to make, so most likely a yes.

Gas door- if I garner enough interest, it would be very likely.

AE86 hatches- complex, most likely load bearing, so I'll have to see what I can and cannot do.

S13 trunk lids- already thought about and if I make S13 parts, it will be out at the same time as the S13 hood.

Doors- too much liability. I cannot assume that you would go to the necessary steps to make your car side-impact safe. I am considering inside door panels, though.

MA70- what parts do you want in c/f?

Comment

Also, about the AE86 hatch. These are hard to find in good condition stock. Almost everyone I've ever met has some rust on the hatch.

I'm sure you could include a lexan window to keep the weight off of it. I would put in lexan anyway. ALOT of people are desperate for this part but everyone wants $500 or more. PLease make Hatches at a decent price! Please!

Also, I would buy any of this stuff in fiberglass right away! FRP is just as good for me. What about using that instead of carbon to keep it cheap? For most AE owners anything is better than rusty, heavy, metal hatches.

I would also buy a set of fenders in a heartbeat.

Comment

I'd need a good condition hatch to make a mold from.
                            About FRP: I'm considering making parts in fiberglass, rather than carbon fiber, to keep prices to an absolute minimum. Weight difference is hardly anything, and the parts only lose out in bling factor. Still, I'm figuring everything out. Who knows, I might make parts in both carbon fiber and fiberglass.

Comment

Originally posted by GRiDRaceTech

Doors- too much liability. I cannot assume that you would go to the necessary steps to make your car side-impact safe. I am considering inside door panels, though.

Make them go through a wavier or sign up sheet verifying that they do have have everything for safety and if they dont, you are not liable.

Comment

Working...
                              X