Formula D 06 news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formula D 06 news

Thanks to www.urbanracer.com for the news.

Formula D
    The 2005 Need for Speed Formula Drift series was a success by all accounts. The series visited 6 different cities and put on demonstrations in countless more at everything from the Long Beach Grand Prix to ALMS and Champ Car races. A national TV package with G4TV brought Formula D to more than just the thousands of fans that attended each event; with a prime-time Sunday night spot, 52 million homes got 16 episodes of Formula D痴 brand of excitement. Media coverage was equally phenomenal; traditional automotive magazines took notice, but so do non-endemic outlets like Men痴 Health and Esquire.

So if thing ain稚 broke, why fix it? Because Jim Liaw and Ryan Sage, the two masterminds behind Formula D, think they can make it better. Here are the changes and additions for 2006.

-New Judging Format
    Gone are the hack editors and JDM drivers. Three judges will now feel the ire of competitor and spectator alike ・former drivers Alex Pfeiffer and Andy Yen, along with Best Motoring Video痴 Ken Takahashi ・the only returning Formula D judge.

- Rule Book Changes and Advisory Panel
    To reduce conflict and keep things transparent, Formula D announced a comprehensive revision of the rulebook by the SCCA. They also announced the installation of an Advisory Panel voted on by the competitors and comprised of Moto Miwa, Rhys Millen, and Henry Chung, which would help resolve any conflicts that should arise.

-Licensing Program
    To help give the amateurs a better shot, Formula D also announced a program with Drift Association to help potential competitors gain the skills and experience to compete in the series.

- More Sponsors, Tires and Cars
    With 90% of their sponsors retained for 2006, Formula D痴 support appears strong. Bridgestone will be entering the hot tire battle between Cooper, Dunlop, Falken, Nitto, Toyo, and Yokohama in 2006, along with rumors that Federal may be entering the mix. New cars include the Subaru WRX campaigned by Ken Gushi痴 dad Tsukasa, a Dodge Charger for 2005 2nd Place finisher Sam Hubinette 2006, a Pontiac Solstice for 2005 Champion Rhys Millen, and rumors of a V8 powered 350Z for Falken痴 Chris Forsberg.

-Shootouts and Demonstration
    To further promote the series, Formula D announced plans to hold shootouts and demos in a wide variety of locations and a broad range of events. There was even talk of an invitational competition in Mexico City.

-2006 Schedule
    Changes from 2005 included the switch from Houston to Seattle, along with the addition of Long Beach Grand Prix course, which had been the site of one of Formula D痴 most memorable drifting exhibitions. The 2006 series will begin and end in Southern California.

April 2 Streets of Long Beach, Long Beach, CA
    May 13 Road Atlanta, Braselton, GA
    June 11 Soldier Field, Chicago, IL
    July 9 Infineon Raceway, Sonoma, CA
    August 20 Evergreen Raceway, Seattle, WA
    September 9 Wall Speedway, Wall, NJ
    October 21 Irwindale Speedway, Irwindale, CA

Streets of LBC are going to be a great beginning to the season.

Can't wait for 2006, come one, come all FD 2006 is going to kill it!

Comment

Pfeiffer as a judge? I like where this is going...

B-Wurm

Comment

Haha, Long Beach as first round... What a way to break in new competition vehicles with the walls! I can't wait! It's going to be fun!
        Hubert Young
        KORE 8 Films

Comment

i wish the schedule was more geographically based...like having hte 4 west coast events one after the other then move out east...it would be a lot easier on the wallet for teams travelling expenses.

Comment

Looking forward to the 06 season - thanks for the update!!!

Comment

what....andy and alex arent driving anymore? well, at least there'll be proper judging going on

Comment

Wow, cool stuff. Although I'm looking forward to seeing Seattle, it's sad to lose Houston, which helped keep things geographically diverse.

Biggest news, Alex and Andy judging! Awesome. Although I'd rather see you guys out there still competing, there's nobody I'd rather have on the judging stand than you, Alex... and Andy, you are an excellend addition as well. Now all we need is Angelo on the mic for a killer show/event.

-Tony

Comment

Originally posted by J-Rod
                  Streets of LBC are going to be a great beginning to the season.

Can't wait for 2006, come one, come all FD 2006 is going to kill it!
                  dude its soo on!..thats insane...hookers for everyone!

Comment

I wonder how much they paid those two guys to make them want to give up practically free sponsored rides and not compete anymore so they could judge.

Comment

Yes! Finally FD has a sunday event, just like the first one! Formula D Sonoma! On a SUNDAY! Thanks..is the event date offical? No change in dates at all?
                      Last edited by VDMTom; 11-05-2005, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide
                        I wonder how much they paid those two guys to make them want to give up practically free sponsored rides and not compete anymore so they could judge.
                        they definately didn't do it for the pay...

Comment

Thats good news, Long beach will be an interesting start to my fd career

Comment

gonna be interesting to see how long beach round will be setup. i assume its gonna be on the same weekend or around there as the lbgp.

Comment

What happened to the Houston venue? Texas always gets the meat stick when it comes to car stuff. And, no, IDRC doesn't count. No one went to that in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                              X