Tire damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire damage?

I know that if you're gonna even try drifting on the street, you'd change tires right? So let say you install street performance tires and you plan to do light to moderate drifting (not much white smoke or non at all) about an hour a night's worth. Would your tires get so worn out that you'd have to resort to buying new tires every month or something (straining your budget)?

Most likely yea u would have to change them. U might get more use of them if u practice in the rain though

Comment

if you are still learning, you should get some used tires from somewhere. like use old spares. anyway, the tire damage is cut by alot when you practice in the rain, plus it helps with your technique.

Comment

Find a good used tire store...

Today, I got a pair of almost new (80% tread) Bridgestone RE910's for $50 mounted and balanced. This place looked like crap but it had some good used tires with plenty of tread on them...

I'll probably see them every month or so

Also, I hate drifting in the rain...
        It's too unpredictable for my tastes.

When I'm on dry pavement, I know when my car is about to break loose, and can easily cross the line to drift.

I'll usually only drift on wet pavement in empty parking lots.
        But it IS easier on tires

Comment

I get used tires for like 40 to 50 bucks, and I get them balanced and mounted right in front of me and the labor takes only about 10 minutes!

I you live in california, look around for used tire shops owned by mexicans. they'll give you a great deal and great service.

I bought used tires about a month ago, and my right rear is already showing metal thread because I tend to make more left hand drifts than right hand drifts... Maybe thats the only advantage to an open diff !!

Comment

Re: Tire damage?

Originally posted by s0nny80y
            I know that if you're gonna even try drifting on the street, you'd change tires right? So let say you install street performance tires and you plan to do light to moderate drifting (not much white smoke or non at all) about an hour a night's worth. Would your tires get so worn out that you'd have to resort to buying new tires every month or something (straining your budget)?
            Our guys that run new tires for drifting can get about a full days worth of track use out of them if they conserve them (1 - 2 hours active use). High horsepower vehicles can go through new tires in 10 - 20 minutes if they beat the hell out of them though.

Used tires can last as little as 5 minutes. While used tires saves a lot of money, you'll be wasting a lot of time changing out tires often and you'll have a more difficult time being consistant since you're tires' characteristcs will change each time they're swapped out.

Comment

get a second and possibly third set of wheels. this way you dont have to go to the tire shop everytime you blow a tire. i have one drifting set (13" RX-7 FB rims) that get used tires for the back and falkens on the front, and a driving set (stock 240sx rims) that currently have snow tires on them. i think the hardest i was on tires was just before i got new dd tires, i burned off 1/4 in of tread in about 5 minutes....and thats with and open diff.

moral of the story: get a second set of rims for just practicing. also, if you intend to do drifting while racing (i.e. touge) i would suggest something that is new and has good grip on all four wheels. in the spring i plan to run 16" enkeis in the front wrapped in falken azenis st-115s and 15" used rims in the back wrapped in falken ziex's for touge running.

Comment

I own 20 rims total. I have bought 12 tires in the last five months.

Think about it.

Comment

Working...
                X