ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My J30 LSD seems to not work anymore..ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My J30 LSD seems to not work anymore..ideas?

Well, I bought a '95 J30 LSD in the fall and it had ~80k miles on it I believe. When I turned it by hand, both outputs turned together and all was well.

I installed regular 80w-90 fluid (I think) nothing special, just the regular cheap stuff as recommended by a friend. I think it worked ok for a few weeks, but lately, it just acts like it's an open diff. WHen I put one wheel on ice, and the other on blacktop, I still spin a lot and move real slow, like it's not really engaging.

Any thoughts on why it might be? Worn out? Wrong or bad fluid?

Thanks,
    Nick

my brother got a 240sx vlsd for his 96 240 about a month ago and its still working fine. i think u should do a overhaul (is that how its spelled?). try that and see what happens.

Comment

The viscous fluid in the vlsd breaks down after a while and it just ends up not working, especially when it gets pushed hard a lot. this might be what you are experiencing.

Comment

Originally posted by raging panda
        The viscous fluid in the vlsd breaks down after a while and it just ends up not working, especially when it gets pushed hard a lot. this might be what you are experiencing.
        I guess that COULD be my problem, but the fluid has only been in there for probably 4 months and probably was only driven 2000 miles....and it's an automatic stock ka24de at this point..heh. Couldn't have seen much use, but then again it was cheap fluid.

I might still try the heavier weight fluid soon when I swap in my RB20.

Thanks.

Nick

Comment

Give it a quick tune up. That should fix the problem.

Comment

Working...
          X