Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAF3 TD sucking..

Wow, this sucks...

I mean over time it will make the money back, but really I thought it was going to light the world on fire..

Dropped to 5th week 2..

3 The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift Universal Pictures Distribution, United International Pictures $9,211,000 $42,554,000 2

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/boxoffice/weekend/
    Last edited by ///AMG; 06-26-2006, 10:55 AM.

I think people felt like this movie was going to be just like 1 and 2...

Maybe.

Comment

I think the loss of Walker was a major FU.
      I think the new star was a bad pick, my little brother went out to star in it.
      He would of been awesome, they passed and he went and starred in Texas Chainsaw Massacre "The Beggining" That hawt chick from FAF2 co-starred as the horror vixen. Comes out Oct.
      I think that Uni did a hail marry on tagging it "Drift" and was hoping the "HYPE" would sell tickets.
      Generally as a marketer myself, It's best to stay broad and not get to niche with the mainstream.
      One and 2 were very broad and rode the Import Hype.
      Calling it Drift cuts the pie down into a segment.
      Lots of people hate drifting, lots of front wheel dragger guys are in denial and I bet those guys did not show up. There are MILLIONS of those guys. Also DOM guys might of not identified with it. In FAF2 there was a good helping of Muscle cars.
      Don't get me wrong 42 mil in week 2 is good, but if I was a UNi exec I would be taking my vacation right about now.
      Hopefully the movie get some steam going and it did have some good comp in the boxoffice.
      Last edited by ///AMG; 06-26-2006, 11:24 AM.

Comment

And they spent $85MM?

Wow...considering the first one cost $39MM and made over $150MM, I think it definitively proves that the more accurate it is/was, the smaller the potential audience....a point I made after the first one was released.

And, rumor is, that a 4th was to be filmed simultaneously, but would release directly to DVD.

Overall, the franchise will have shown a nice profit, but this film will be lucky (at this rate) to recoup it's costs.

I wonder what the consensus here is...you guys think it's time to wrap up the franchise?

Comment

I really think they just released it at the wrong time. Everyone knows about the Fast and the Furious but it couldn't compete with Pixar's "Cars" and "Nacho Libre"

The first two never had to go up against major films like those.

They probably should have played up bow wow a little more and promo'ed a little harder.

We were all expecting this movie to set the drift scene on fire but it doesn't look like its going to happen all that much but it did it's job.

I think we'll probably see the real influx after that D1 vs. NASCAR event.

Or maybe after they finish the "Tokyo Drift" ride at Universal Studios

Comment

If they release FAF4 straight to DVD it will stay as a straight to DVD release and the franchise will dwindle off. As someone said the "Ride" might be a good boost and that's interesting. The NASCAR/D1 thing might just be a quick flash thing, I don't think there will be much substance to that.
            Craig as you know studios change and the people who were around for the frist 2 might not have touched this title and it shows.
            After the first 2 remember how the net was buzzing about them?
            This time there is really no buzz, it's like no one gives a f&^K.
            That was my first hint it was bombing.
            edit, Nacho was not a threat at all and people thought it would not come close to FAF3 a tried and tested hit release.
            Jack Black freaking crushed Drifting..lmao
            I bet the Uni execs are having nightmares about a mexican wrestler comming in at night and r8ping them.
            No matter what drifting is very strong.
            It's more of a cool action sports thing.
            Action Sports movies always bomb, look at Dogtown.
            It's kind of good for the core not to be totally whored out by Hollywood, but at the same time if this movie went off the Drift world would of been on FIRE right now.
            Time to get back to the track and keep it real.
            Last edited by ///AMG; 06-26-2006, 12:07 PM.

Comment

I read on another site that it did better in UK, AU, and Asia than the first 2

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u
                I read on another site that it did better in UK, AU, and Asia than the first 2
                That's good news! It seems those countries respect tech driving a bit more than just street racing, so maybe they are a bit more interested in the movie.
                Also you might expect it to do well in Asia..
                Last edited by ///AMG; 06-26-2006, 01:03 PM.

Comment

You can't expect drifters to go see movies about drifting.
                  Most of them are saving that money so they can go drifting.

Comment

Originally posted by soultron
                    You can't expect drifters to go see movies about drifting.
                    Most of them are saving that money so they can go drifting.
                    Yeah $8.50 can buy a lot of zipTies!

Comment

I think that the film will do fine. FF1 was ground breaking. But how many sequels and trilogies do well outside of the first one? Star wars and Harry Potter seem to be the exceptions... I'd be curious to see how Xmen did compared to the other X movies, although I know several of the other comic-based movies have failed pretty miserably...

Another thing hurting movie sales is the availability of them on the internet. i know at least 20% or more of my friends who have said they saw the movie admitted that they downloaded it and didn't spend the money at the box office. That means people have a desire to see the film, and it's definatley not a failure (especially when you check out message boards and people are actually saying it's an entertaining movie), but those people aren't reflected in these box office sales figures, which unfortunately, is the largest measure of success for the studio.

I think FF3 will be hugely successful on DVD, much like Matrix was. Matrix did not see much success in the theaters, despite a big summer release, but once everyone saw it on DVD, they realized waht they missed out on. I will admit to only seeing the second Matrix movie in the theaters, but I have 2 different Matrix boxed sets in my DVD collection.
                      Originally posted by craiglieberman
                      And they spent $85MM?

Wow...considering the first one cost $39MM and made over $150MM, I think it definitively proves that the more accurate it is/was, the smaller the potential audience....a point I made after the first one was released.

And, rumor is, that a 4th was to be filmed simultaneously, but would release directly to DVD.

Overall, the franchise will have shown a nice profit, but this film will be lucky (at this rate) to recoup it's costs.

I wonder what the consensus here is...you guys think it's time to wrap up the franchise?
                      oh man.... here we go, tooting your own horn...

Just wait and let's check out total sales including international and DVD sales in a year...

Comment

put yourself in the average person opinion, a pixar movie, a jack black movie, or a movie about people sliding cars around.

families will see cars, college and highschool kids will see nacho libre, and guys with girlfriends will get dragged to the lakehouse

Comment

So total sales is 42 million?

So 5,006,353 people saw the movie...@$8.50 per ticket.

or 4,800,000 people saw the movie...@$8.75 per ticket.
                          Ryan Hampton

Baller Bolts Titanium Hardware

Comment

I think the hype around movie actually helped bring some MAINSTREAM spotlight to the sport. In that week before it opened you saw FOX, CNN, CBS, Etc do something on drifting. Which I think is great for the sport and its participants. It was awesome to see Tanner, JR, Sam, and Rhys on networks of that size talking about the sport. All that hype is going to open up some doors for some serious growth. I'm sure we will see a boost in FD attendance numbers, G4's viewership, and an increase in DVD sales.

I showed some of my buddies who had never seen drifting in their life the DA Bad as Hell DVD and they loved it! Drifting has a way of appealing to most car enthusiasts. I'm looking forward to seeing D1 on ESPN this coming July, and hows its recieved by the NHRA Audience.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanHampton
                              So total sales is 42 million?

So 5,006,353 people saw the movie...@$8.50 per ticket.

or 4,800,000 people saw the movie...@$8.75 per ticket.
                              How much was it? I dunno I saw it free..lol
                              Anyway this Movie is not sucking, I think my thread title is harsh..srry..
                              It just did not open at 50 Mil this first week.
                              It will do fine and the movie is actually pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                              X