Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOPAR’S HUBINETTE Seeks Win @ SONOMA

TEAM MOPAR’S HUBINETTE SEEKS THIRD WIN OF SEASON AT SONOMA

Center Line, Mich. — Team Mopar’s Samuel Hubinette couldn’t have scripted a better outcome as he enters the fourth event of the 2006 Formula D Drift season, scheduled for this Friday and Saturday at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Calif. The “Crazy Swede” has won two of three events, to go with one runner-up finish, and holds a 42-point lead over the second-place Rhys Millen. But Hubinette, the 2004 Formula D champ and 2005 runner-up, understands that, with the competition he’s up against on the Formula D circuit, dropping his guard one iota would be an unwise move.

“I need to stay sharp with the guys I face each week,” said Hubinette, who recently became a U.S. citizen and is coming off a win at the Chicago event. “There’s so many drivers that can be on the podium. You have to be at the top of your game all the time, because the differences are small. If you make one mistake, you might be out in the first round.”

As much as Hubinette respects the talents of his fellow competitors, his confidence in his skills on the track remains unshakeable, a prerequisite for any successful competitor. Hubinette’s confidence is backed up by his record, as the drifting star has won an astounding seven of the 13 Formula D events held since the formation of the series, including the 2004 event at Sonoma.

“Sonoma is one of the fastest tracks for entry speed, which I enjoy,” remarked Hubinette. “I’m definitely excited to be there again, to try to score another podium finish.”

In a year that has seen a flurry of media coverage on the sport of drifting, Hubinette will receive even more leading up to Sonoma. Today, a new podcast starring Hubinette from the Round 3 Formula D event at Chicago will be featured on Mopar’s hot new Web site, www.mo-pod.com, which spotlights videos from the Mopar Nation.

Mopar and the “Crazy Swede” also recently announced their participation in the “Mopar D1 All-Star Duel presented by ShiftIntoGear,” which will pit Hubinette, along with some of the hottest names in the D1 Professional Drift Grand Prix Series, against Dodge Motorsports’ Kasey Kahne, Bill Elliott and several of their NASCAR friends in head-to-head tandem drift battles. The exhibition is slated for August 31 at California’s Irwindale Speedway.

I think the "crazy swede" might just pull off the win sat.

My buddy spotted the Mopar Trailer on the way to Infineon a couple of weeks ago.Guess they're getting as much track time as possible.

Comment

Working...
    X