Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D1 GRAND PRIX VEGAS (Results)

Yoshioka wins inaugural D1 Drift Grand Prix at The Strip at LVMS;

LAS VEGAS – Toshiki Yoshioka of Hiroshima, Japan, won the Las Vegas D1 Drift Grand Prix finale over Fukushima, Japan’s Nobushige Kumakubo at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway Saturday night.

Inaugural Las Vegas D1 Drift Grand Prix results:
    1. Toshiki Yoshioka (Hiroshima, Japan) Toyota Corolla
    2. Nobushige Kumakubo (Fukushima, Japan) Subaru Imprez
    3. Kensaku Komoro (Niigata, Japan) Toyota Corolla
    4. Kazuhiro Tanaka (Ibaragi, Japan) Nissan Skyline
    5. Daigo Saito (Kumamoto, Japan) Toyota
    6. Vaughan Gittin Jr. (Annapolis, Md.) Ford Mustang
    7. Hideo Hiraoka (Tochigi, Japan) Nissan Silvia
    8. Takahiro Ueno (Kanagawa, Japan) Toyota Soarer
    9. Ken Gushi (Okinawa, Japan; resides Calif.) Ford Mustang
    10. Hiro Sumida (Anaheim, Calif.) Nissan Silvia

wow yoshioka won, thats interesting...

Comment

I miss my plane to get out there...

Any fotos?

-Al

Comment

it was funny, I was leaving from LAX on the way to a family reunion and I thought I saw Kazama walk past me, then about 10 min. later I heard over the PA system a final boarding call that called out like 10 D1 drivers in a row. I look up to see all a bunch of the D1 guys jogging towards the gate, and (I think it was Kumakubo?) not looking and ran into a planter lol

Comment

Originally posted by Al
          I miss my plane to get out there...

Any fotos?

-Al
          We should have photos by this week.

Comment

Ya, it was a crazy night.

4 japanese drivers (Sakuma, Nomuken, Tanaka, and N. Suenaga) crashed in Top 32 practice. Sakuma and Nomuken were knocked out of competition. Tanaka fixed his car and went on to win 4th. Suenaga hurt his neck and was sent to the hospital.

Alex Pfeiffer came within a couple feet of crashing the BRS FD.

Tanner Foust got a perfect 120 score from Tsuchiya, with a 100 mph entry speed.

Later on Kazama spun out twice against Takahiro Ueno in tsuiso.

The track was awesome, because it highly favored the 86s and their high entry speeds.

By the way, Kensaku Komoro is craaaazy! The next Ueo.....

Comment

sounds like D1 or FD should make vegas a points paying trip from now on

Comment

I was in vegas for other stuff, but managed to come by for the last couple rounds, Yoshioka was rocking it really hard, I wish I had been able to see the other cars, I guess by event time it was down to 20 instead of 32 just from mechanical failure and such?

feel free to correct me if im wrong since I missed beforehand.

Comment

Is Komoro the guy from TEC-ART's? Dang, load some pics/vids!!!

Comment

Ya man, he drives the purple Tec Arts hachi. His car control is amazing. You know I really wonder how the heck these dudes come out of nowhere to beat everyone. Werent they pretty good before they became big? You dont just "end up" being a good driver....? How do they do it?

Comment

Originally posted by driftersil80
                      Ya man, he drives the purple Tec Arts hachi. His car control is amazing. You know I really wonder how the heck these dudes come out of nowhere to beat everyone. Werent they pretty good before they became big? You dont just "end up" being a good driver....? How do they do it?
                      Dang, TEC-ART's is great! I love that purple car. And it's good to see someone other than Kazama win.

Comment

you know i realy didn't enjoy this event as much as i enjoyed past events. A couple of things I didn't like.

1) the course layout was very poor for the tandum drift. there were only two turns the drives could apply a lot of pressure. but the entry on the straight was pretty intense. the only problem was that the chasing car only had to match speed. perhaps im just partial to the layout of irwindale.

2) the seating was realy bad. we moved around to different locations to get better views but no matter where you sat you couldn't see the whole track.

3) the heat, it was frick hotter then a 3 dicked billy goat in a heard of sheep. i was talking with gushi, and the first thing he said was, "i dont know how you guys handle this heat".

I think the main thing i disliked was the course layout it was good for the single runs. but tandum, the drivers couldnt realy show their skillz.

What i did like.

1) that fricken high speed entry into the first turn. They were comming in so fast, mixed with the egg cooking pavement. Complete loss of adheasion. CRASH, BOOM, BAMMM!

2) The drivers passing by the retaing gate slapping everyone high5 as they drove back.

3) that dingy d1 model with the tight dairy air who kept jumping up and down. HAUGHT!

4) open pit area

5) free bandana's upon entry. hotter then hell, you needed it.

what i missed,

1) helllooooooooo Las Vegas!

but no matter what a day at D1 is better then a day without.

Comment

Working...
                        X