3-rotor mazda, good or bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-rotor mazda, good or bad?

i found this engine on a web site and the guy said he would sell it to me for somethuing like 3300 or something, i was wondering if its a good deal or if it would blow up in my face.
    Attached Files

dude thats a periphial ported 20b. It was probobly used for race. That wont spoolup where you need it most. Its tight but for drift its a little over done. Good find but if you dont mind changing the rotar housings. Then it would be a driftable beutie.

Comment

Seems a little expensive. Can't you get a 13B for about $1400? I'm all about rotaries though. I'd love to have that engine. I could use it for drags to get money for drifting. Good find.

Comment

i thought it might not be good for drifting but still, for a three rotor engine i think thats good, didnt the mazda 787B have a four rotor twin turbo engine, but thats off topic. so you think that it wouldnt be the ideal swap, because it wouldnt spool right, it would also mess with the 50/50 distrib. right, so thats a downer. any way thanks for your help.

Comment

The 787B had a 26B four rotor N/A engine with 700HP. It was a monster.

Comment

i realy dont want to sound like a newbie but what car has the 20B as the FD had a 13B and the FC had a 12B

also whats the engine out of the rx-8 called

p.s. some guy as www.zeroyon.com has a 20b swap in his FD so you could ask him
            Last edited by BL1TZ_W1NG; 02-06-2004, 11:09 AM.

Comment

20b came in the cosmo in japan. FC had a 13b though.

Renasence

Comment

Originally posted by Chas
                20b came in the cosmo in japan. FC had a 13b though.

Renasence
                thanks chas

juding by the cosmo ant the 20b a very old engine to do a swap for
                Last edited by BL1TZ_W1NG; 02-06-2004, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Im no expert on the subject but the Cosmo was sold as late as the mid 90s.

http://www30.tok2.com/home/cosmo20b/.../re%20maga.htm

Comment

the 50/50 weight distribution is really not a problem because you will only ad about another 75lbs to the front. You could maybey trim that down to if you through the smog pump and a few things. A nice street port and some boost would throw you over the 400hp line easy. Whats wrong with the engine you have posted is its a periphial port meaning the intake sucks it fuel straight in to the housing in front of the rotar, and not at the side as it did in its factory build. Also the periphial does take some life out of the engine. Myself I am building a 20b with a bridge port. There is a loss in low end but the powerband is right where I want it for drift. Imagine 3800rpm to 8000rpm usable powerband. With the right gearing I could do a 100 in 3rd gear and still fry the tires. Here is a good site to learn from.

http://rotaryengineillustrated.com/index.html

they have most all the info you need including port timing and port configurations. And the animations will make it easy to understand.

Comment

hey driftxtream when where the cosmos sold?

Comment

cosmos were three rotors but someone in japan came to they tokyo show this year with a four rotor fd

Comment

If you have a stack of 20b intemediates and the smarts to gring eccentric shafts you can build a 100 rotar if you want. The reason the four rotar was not a production engine is because of the heat build up in the center. If you use the 20b intermediates the wide ones you can keep the heat down. Top Fuel in Japan builds 4 rotar engines advertized at 600hp n/a and 900 hp forced.

Comment

HOLY HELL!!!! How much for the four rotors at Top Fuel? And how much to get one to me in Oklahoma?

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                              hey driftxtream when where the cosmos sold?
                              the cosmo was produced in the early to late nineties they had two modles the JCES which was a three rotar, and the JC3S which was a 13b three rotar. They both came sequetial turboed and were a fully sick baller sport coupe with navigation and all the bells. The JCES 20B had a 3 rotar that produced 280 hp on the rears. Nice cars but a little boaty not really a drift car. You could do better with a lexo.

Comment

Working...
                              X