FD or S13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FD or S13

Ok I have been into drifting for a while and I know my stuff about cars and techniques and what not. But I have long been contimplating in which car to get an FD or a S13 hatchback. Both cars are real nice and the engines are great tooo. The Sr20 is aweasome but the twin rotor 13B-REW engines have a tendency to over heat. Other peeps say that the sr20 is underpowered and that the 240 hatchbacks handle like $hit. Anyways any response is great and I would like your input.

Well first off the 240 doesn't come with the SR20 so you will have to add one of those.

Look at the pro's and con's.

FD. High price to shell out to get one then you have to mod it. First you have to do the cooling things to make sure you dont blow your investment sky high. Radiator, vented hood, intercooler possibly. After that, Suspension is the main thing to do first off unless you get an R1 and you only find those in 93. They are expensive to get parts for, expensive to fix if you fook it up but they look real good and there aren't that many around. People love Fd's. Matter of fact you can buy mine.

240. Plentiful, cheap and the KA will do you just fine while you do the suspension and what-not. Cheap to get parts for just run down to Autozone for the basics, cheap to maintain, see above but they are all over and everyones putting SR20s in them. The SR is a great engine. Relatively easy swap, little hard to work on or so i've heard as you have to pull certain things to get to others but make decent power right out of the box and can be opened up easily.

Comment

thanks

Hey thanks a lot for the response. I didn;t really knwo that fd parts were a lto especially for an r-1. I found an r-1 with a flooded engine going for 4,100 my mechanic said it was a great deal. So i am really thinking about getting it and dropping a new engine in. Anyways You gonan be at the meet in march at andrettis we will def have to talk more.

Comment

I'm gonna try to make it. Depends on if I have to work or not. Won't be in my car though.

Comment

your selling your fd??? how much???

Comment

Letting it go for 10,000. Motor is a little quirky but I can still drive it daily and it still hauls. Just pumps coolant out at a varying rate depending on how the car feels.

It's got a fair amount of stuff done to it. I put the list on here somewhere.

Comment

I don't know who your peeps are but the SR20 isn't underpowered, just untapped stock. That's like any engine though, and if youre really gonna start drifting, then you won't need to worry about power anytime soon. The S13 hatchbacks will handle almost exactly the same as the coupes, it all depends on the setup of the car, not the body style. Basically the S13 is a great learning car, and a great advanced car.

Comment

S13 vs FD ??

Well I say both cars handle well with tuning.
                but off the bat stock vs stock the FD does kick the S13's Booty
                any day..But yes say you do get a sr20det motor in the s13 it can be tuned to be as fast or faster then the FD for about the price of a FD.I am a Lover\collector\Driver of RX-7's but it is way more expensive to tune and mantain a FD.

OK
                If you are a Great Drifter Get a FD
                If your a amature get a S13
                why?
                The FD is a faster high power car,which is harder to controll and more expensive to fix if you do crash or have to replace a motor or parts.
                S13 is cheaper to buy and also cheaper to tune in my opinion.I see many more parts and these cars..Also it's cheaper to fix or you could just find another frame easily, not like the FD.Also the engine is fairly cheaper to tune and fix then a TwinTurboFD.

Comment

Yeah i agree with the other posters. these are both great cars. But the FD is going to be alot more money in the short and long run. However if you love Sevens and Rotarys go for it. If you havent owned a rotary before, i would suggest a FC turbo II.

The S13 is much cheaper all around, but its not going to move or perform like the FD will stock. and even modified, the FD is a hell of a car, and hard to beat. If you love nissans and S13s or want the cheaper of the cars get the S13.

Comment

Well, I don't agree that the S13 is for amateurs. It does share the same suspension setup as the Skyline and Fairladys, I mean you don't get in much better company in that respect. You don't need an SR to get into FD hp territory either. Many stock block/internal KAs are up in the 300 hp range, just requires good tuning and know how. The S chassis is the most popular drift chassis for a reason, it is lightweight, relatively cheap, and shares the suspension setups as Nissan's best. I do give the FD props, very capable car, but don't count out the S13 chassis, with the same amount dumped into each car, neither will walk away, it will come down to driver skill in the end.

Comment

Don't know bout that one Panda. Depends on how you look at it. If you dump the same amount of tuning into an FD that you do an S13, the FD will smoke it hands down. BUT if you take the prices of the cars into account then you are absolutely right. The S13 is the #1 chassis for a couple reasons. It's newer than the Hachi, it's cheap and it's RWD. All that adds up to a VERY competan chassis for Drifting. Also the aftermarket is huge in Japan for it and start to really take off here. The FD has been limited til now due to the price of them. That is the ONLY reason the FD's are not that big in Drifting. They are starting to pop up more as they come down in value and parts come down as well. But they are still high up there. The loan value on my 93 R1 is still $9000 unmodified and unmolested. So they are still way higher than the s13 and s14 for that matter.

But put the same amount of money into them without the original price of the car and the FD will outperform it. If it outperforms it from tock then the same things done to it will only make it outperform it non-stock. There is no peformance loss there though the money-train.

Comment

I'm not sure how you figure on that, due to the fact that there is only so much one can do to a car. I figure changing all bushings, coilovers, all new suspension components, even with chassis bracing. Then you go engine, it may be cheaper on the SR or KA, but I'm not sure since I don't price 13b repairs upgrades. So I figure even with that, what edge does the FD have over the S13? I know stock because more hp, but the suspension doesn't have a real huge advantage that I know of. Is there, am I mistaken? It's just I see a highly tuned FD/S13 w/ 350hp full race suspension, chassis bracing and cage, race seat, and I don't see how one car can outperform the other. I just see that the driver and driver preference would make the difference.

Comment

Well anyways you got the jist of it

We can go on and on all day if we want but, Turbo_blitz21 you got the idea.

FD=big money
                          s-13=little money

up to you.

Next question

Comment

Re: Well anyways you got the jist of it

Originally posted by Sideways_In_SD
                            Next question
                            What are you doing tonight, baby?

Comment

Good luck affording insurance on the FD if you're under 25.

Comment

Working...
                              X