No announcement yet.

Thinking about doing this to my car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about doing this to my car...

I have been thinking about this for quite sometime now. Its about doing a V-Mount on my 97 240sx. I already have a S14 SR20DET with a Blitz LM Intercooler and a Fuildyne Radiator. I have been looking for more S14 body that have had this done and I can't seem to find anything. This is VERY big with the RX-7 guys and I know that Signal Auto guys have done it to there twin S13s. So what do you guys think? should I try to do this on my car?

I know I am going to need:

1. Custom piping
    2. reweld the radiator
    3. new water pulley
    4. new hoses
    5. Slim Elect. Fans

can you think of anything else I might need to do?
    Last edited by silviaguy; 02-13-2004, 08:17 AM.

Humm.

Well sounds like you have everything taken car of so far.
    I say you start and when you run into problems,that's when you deal with them..But just take ur time and everything should turn out well..If you do run into anything just PM me and i will lend ya some help..Good luck.

Comment

in the Super Street with Ueo's Hachiroku on the front, it has a article on how Signal does their v-mounts. it was pretty helpful, it wasn't a super detailed article, but it was a basic over view on how they do it. and from it, i can say if i had all the pieces to the puzzle i'd be able to do it on my car easily...

Comment

Originally posted by Nemesis
        in the Super Street with Ueo's Hachiroku on the front, it has a article on how Signal does their v-mounts. it was pretty helpful, it wasn't a super detailed article, but it was a basic over view on how they do it. and from it, i can say if i had all the pieces to the puzzle i'd be able to do it on my car easily...
        Yea, I was reading that in the airport on my flight back from New York. I called up (more like IMed) Ricky about this and he is also telling me as long as I have everything ready to go it should be easy. I will have to do a lot of cutting. It looks like I will be able to do this. I will keep everyone up-to-date if and when I get started on this.

Comment

Ricky as in Ricky Chu? The Chu-master? Chu's or Loose? "I Chu-Chu-Chuuuuse you"?

A reverse vent hood would greatly increase flow through the intercooler. If you don't have one, you could cut a hole in your stock hood and rivet or weld on some sheet steel or steel flashing from home depot. I would also reccomend the flashing just to clean up the airflow and maybe to fabricate your own heat shields.

Keep in mind:
          Half of aerodynamics is how air flows around and over the car, and half is now it flows through the car. You can have the best aero kit money can buy, but if the flow through your engine bay, intercooler, radiator, brake ducts, etc is inefficient, then it won't help you.

-MR

Comment

pricing on the v-mount!

the price for the v-mount from signal is $ 3000 i looked at doing that and its so high cuz its all custom

Comment

well since its custom you go do it yourself..duh...haha...the best way to learn about your car is to work on it yourself...simple as that...i learned alot of stuff about the civic i drive around daily because anything and everything i did on it i did, or watched very carefully...even when they jus welded my muffler on i followed the guy around the entire shop...haha...

Comment

Originally posted by Nemesis
                well since its custom you go do it yourself..duh...haha...the best way to learn about your car is to work on it yourself...simple as that...i learned alot of stuff about the civic i drive around daily because anything and everything i did on it i did, or watched very carefully...even when they jus welded my muffler on i followed the guy around the entire shop...haha...
                i hope you didnt watch him weld the muffler on.. lol... gonna go blind

Comment

Originally posted by mranlet
                  Ricky as in Ricky Chu? The Chu-master? Chu's or Loose? "I Chu-Chu-Chuuuuse you"?
                  Yes thats him. Also I have a Yashio Factory CF hood on order so that shouldn't be a problem.

View more at http://www.yashiofactory.jp/i_love/14cb_bon/index.htm about this hood.

Comment

koguchi's got a vmount I believe, but he did shove his engine back thru the firewall . But I seriously worry about heat soak since the intercooler is in the engine bay rather than outside. I think they do it so they (?)won't demolish thier intercoolers if they bang up the front end, or go all up in the gravel trap.(?)

I think it would be worth doing yourself. I really don't think it would be that tuff. Or Foilman's got the volvo intercooler just in front of the radiator. I thought that was pretty cool IMO.
                    Last edited by baboon's a$$; 02-15-2004, 08:28 PM.

Comment

baboon's a$$, you bring up some good points. I have thought about that also. From what I have been told is that as long as I have a vented hood. The air going across the hood will "pull" air through the intercooler to cool the air (somewhat a plane's wings do in flight). I am also thinking that I might also pick up NX's intercooler also which should help. I am not 100% sure I will need it.

I have not started on this as of yet. I need to get all my parts together to make sure I have enough space. Currently wait for the hood to show up.

Comment

Originally posted by baboon's a$$
                        koguchi's got a vmount I believe, but he did shove his engine back thru the firewall . But I seriously worry about heat soak since the intercooler is in the engine bay rather than outside. I think they do it so they (?)won't demolish thier intercoolers if they bang up the front end, or go all up in the gravel trap.(?)

I think it would be worth doing yourself. I really don't think it would be that tuff. Or Foilman's got the volvo intercooler just in front of the radiator. I thought that was pretty cool IMO.
                        no need to worry much about heat soak...think about it; the v-mount was created to get ample air flow to both the radiator and intercooler, the way they sit both get LOT'S of air and there really isn't a risk in the intercooler getting hot. as for getting into a wreck and smaching anything...well...thats what a wreck will do if you pile drive the nose end of your car into something...both the radiator and i.c. will get demolished FIRST...no matter how u mount'em....

Comment

I had to take off the stock bumper support off the car to install the INGS front bumper. I will be making a custom one for the car to work with the INGS front bumper. Something is always better then nothing there.

Comment

Working...
                          X