How badly did I screw up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How badly did I screw up?

Ok... So... this is my first post and I've run a search but couldn't find anything useful...

Um... Let me start by saying I drive a 90 Celica GT (FWD, Manual Tranny)

So... I'm taking this photography class. Teacher wants us to take some pics of 'motion *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*'... I say great I'll get some pics of my car drifting / fish-tailing... Call up a friend and have him meet me in this parking lot with lots of loose gravel...

I have him do a 180, using the Ebrake, in my car about 15 times... And then some pics of him just passing by me... Photo shoot goes swell... We go home...

On the way home I notice there's this hum/"whir" coming from the back of my car... I figure the Ebrake is a bit loose and just needs to be adjusted... Then, all of a sudden, it REALLY starts to make noise... Kinda like I'm pulling the Ebrake all the way back, while doing 50 MpH... WTF? So I hit the gas a bit to see if it'll just shake off, but then it sounds even louder... So I slow down... I get to like 30 MpH and the sound dies all together...

Pull off the road and get out of the car... I can't smell anything burning and I test the breaks... I do the "reverse out adjust" drum break fix and figure it'll be fine... Get back on the road...

About 2 miles later it does the same thing... Again, WTF? I slow down and drive the car home at about 40 the rest of the way... Finally get home and pull into my car port...

I pumped the breakes to see if I was leaking Break fluid and then I backed out... Nothing on the ground...

I couldn't find anything... I figure if it's the Ebrake cable it'll auto ajdust by today in the morning...

I get up and drive to school, no complications till I'm about a mile away from campus... This time though my hand was resting on the Ebrake and I noticed it felt like something was pulling on the other end... (Kinda like a fish on the other end of a fishing line) So I pulled it a bit and let go... The sound stopped...

Get out of class and drive to work... Same thing... Pull the Ebrake and let go... Sound goes away...

I get out of work and head home on the way home it starts up again... WTF???

So I slow it down to like 2 mph, leave it in gear, and hop out of the car... I run around it and try to pic up where the sound is comming from... It's the passenger side rear wheel... Hop back into the car and get home... When I pull into the car port I touch my right and left rear drums and notice that the right one is VERY hot, like metal rubbing on metal and it smells just like metal burning...

WTF???????

Ok... I hope that the details I gave are sufficient for you all to come up with a reasonable guess as to what's happening...

Essentially I figure the sound comes from a loose part rubbing against the metal casing of the drum...

Any ideas on how much it might cost to get fixed?

PLEASE!!!

I've gotta drive across the state tomorrow in the evening... I'd like to drive assured that my brakes aren't gonna freeze and I'll end up in some dried up river bed...

-Spart

... Any one?

Comment

dude

I think your brake shoes has worn out. That's where u get the metal-against-metal burning smell.

Take off the tires and try spinning your wheels while no gears engage. if kinda hard to spin, it could be your brake shoe. check it out. another possibility is your wheel bearing. But, i think it's your brake shoe.

hope this'll help. I had the same problem with my friend's S13 last month.

-R32GTSt-

Comment

Actually it sounds more like a broken spring in the Drum assy. There are springs in there that hold your shoes together at the bottom and hold them to the wheel cylinder at the top. You may have either popped one off or broken one. Also you coud have, but highly doubt, run your wheel cylinder out to the fullest extension and it cocked sideways a little bit in the cylinder housing. Another thing is the shoe lining may have come partially off but this is also highly unlikely.

Either way you need to dis-assemble the rear brakes and look in there. Either one of those would explain the noise, the heat and the other things you addressed.

Good luck.

Comment

Any idea of how much it costs to get any of these repairs done?

-Spart

Comment

no more then 100 bucks if you do it your self, i'd say 50-70 bucks for new parts if any are broken. You could have snap the cable. if you did that's about 100 to 500 bucks for a new one. how hard was he pulling the side brake?

Comment

Don't know how hard he was pulling the cable... Hard enough to lock up the wheels I know... But... The Ebrake actually still works when I pull it... I think its the springs like Ghost said... How much to replace those? Oh yeah... I really don't have time to do it myself... Gonna have to take it to break masters and have them fix it.

-Spart

Comment

So I went to Brake Masters today... Turns out the springs were all loose in the drums so... Well they fixed those and put in new shoes... Works pretty well now... The passenger rear was the crappy one and it was totally cracked and F'd up... Also... There's a cilindar in there that's leaking a bit of break fluid... Looks like it's been doing it for about a month or two... The dudes said about 180 to fix that... Screw that... So... I'm gonna go ahead and change out the drums in the rear to disks with a friend... For about 4 hours and 190 in parts I think it's worth it... (Dude at Brake Masters was like "eh Gotta change out the master cylindar... Bla bla blah... Gonna be like 540 to do the swap here...) Whatever... Today's fix only cost 65 bux and the noise and slight vibration is gone... Plus the Ebrake works even better...

Thanks peeps for all your help...

-Spart

Comment

cool upgrade! I thought u already have the disc brake. of well, learn from your mistakes, rite?

btw, anyone ever seen a CA18DET running 46 psi? hehehe..

-R32GTST-

Comment

WELCOME to the world of drifting. Even though you were just messing around. This kind of stuff happens. Do a thorough check. Take off the rear tires and visually inspect everything. You'll figure it out.

Comment

Working...
                    X