Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Death of Drifting?

The Death of Drifting?

I hated history more than any other subject in high school. As I've gotten a little older and a great deal wiser, I've come to look at history as a great place to find lessons for the present and the future.

If you are a fan or participant in drifting, you should be very concerned about the future of your sport. For 2007, we heard that as many as seven different drifting series will be producing events. If we look back to history, there was a time when six different import drag racing series would compete for sponsor dollars, racers, media and spectators. Many believe that this was the primary cause for the decline in the popularity of professional import drag racing. The rationale is quite simple. With so many competing series, event producers receive less money than needed to properly produce and promote events. Trying to give their sponsors the best return, racers bankrupt themselves going to more events than they can actually afford to attend. The media tries to remain unbiased and cover everyone. In the end, the only way to be fair is to limit the coverage as there are too many events to cover. In the end, the spectators also lose. With less money being put into the promotion of events and racers being spread thin, the quality of the events suffer. Sometimes it only takes one poorly-produced drifting event to turn off potential drifting fans for life. Spectators also became less interested because there are just too many events going on.

If you are a manufacturer that is currently benefiting from the exposure delivered through drifting, here's some advice. Spend your drifting budget on the already established event series, dedicate a portion of your drifting budget to event promotion and limit the number of events that your sponsored racers will be attending. While we hope that our advice is taken, it's likely that it won't be and that this year will mark the end of the Golden Age of drifting in the U.S. Let's hope that we are wrong.

copied from Dsport magazine

i dont think this year will END drifting. but im sure a few of the drifting series will not be back next year.

Comment

If you are a manufacturer that is currently benefiting from the exposure delivered through drifting, here's some advice. Spend your drifting budget on the already established event series, dedicate a portion of your drifting budget to event promotion and limit the number of events that your sponsored racers will be attending. While we hope that our advice is taken, it's likely that it won't be and that this year will mark the end of the Golden Age of drifting in the U.S. Let's hope that we are wrong.
      I think it'd going to depend on BIG media attention rather than what focused magazines (i.e. dsport, scc, etc) can and can't cover. Obviously TV stations aren't going to be interested in signing a contract with both Formula D and D1, but I'd say that the general success of the series has a lot to do with the integrity of the organization that is running it....and over complicating drifting with rules such as not being able to run a tire unless it's from a sponsor of that particular series.

at this point it would appear that the new series' would be trying to just "get in on the action" while there's still money in it (and it might very well be that way) but another thing to consider is that big boys will follow the big $$...so whoever ends up really offering the incentives will get the more entertaining drivers.

just so long as it doesn't turn into a sideshow stupid thing and keeps some of its integrity as a sport I'd be happy. Heck, I guess I'll be happy so long as there's events to go drive at.

P.S. I don't really see how this is a "golden age," can anyone justify that for me?

Comment

welcome to last year dude.

seriously.

formula drift - espn
        nopi - reputable from drag racing, speed
        d1 - reputable, but sketchy schedule
        idrc - drift fest, 80000 events, i dont know
        what are the other 3?

im sticking with FD and NOPI, those are the only two with a positive track record in any form of motorsport, and im not spending my time giving these other series a chance on my time and dollar, when in reality they know as good as everyone theres no room , drivers, or teams for any more series.

Comment

Here are my personal opinions about the series for 2007.

Formula D is the American Professional drifting series. Thats all there is to it. Great Drivers, Great Sponsors, Great venues, and serious competition for spectators to enjoy. going on 4 solid years and EVERYTHING in relation to it has grown year after the year. Formula D is the series that has the support from all of the top Drivers and manufacturers that know whats going on in the USA . ESPN-2 is going to be great for the series and drifting in general

D1GP- pretty much the inventors of competitive Drifting. Great events amazing competitors which makes for an amazing show for spectators and competition for drivers and really the only chance we get to compete against top Japanese drivers which is awesome.I think its cool they want to have a few more events here in the USA. It will give more fans opportunity to see there favorite Japanese drivers as well as give fans an opportunity to see top American drivers more often. Im not to sure of there TV deal but have heard there will be some sort of coverage on speed which is also good for the sport.

Nopi- I think\hope is going to end up being the series that is going to breed drivers to come up to the D1 and Formula D level. They have the schedule and regions to help the growth of the sport if thats what they wanted to do.I wish that they would have just created the events based towards that scenario rather then calling it a "professional series" ( I know its not a perfect world....)NOPI will get what they want in regards to better attendance and more $$ just by adding drifting to the schedule. I am curious to see the level of competition that they bring. I also think it is going to take time for them to develop everything. They are going to have to go through the trial and error just as Formula D did almost 4 years ago. To this day they still havent announced judging other then they are using the driftbox which could be a cool reference but definately not going to judge a competition. No details of there tv deal either.I have heard there will be a drift segment on there tunervision show..so we will see when they officially announce these things.

IDRC- They seem to just be running regional events pretty much for up and coming drivers that cant travel to be able to compete in there region. I think this will also be a good breeding ground for good drivers just like FD pro am events and Just drift events.

In regards to sponsors. you are right things thin out when they are being drug in 10 different directions and everyone talking to them has a silver tongue. The only thing that anyone can do is pray that any sponsor does there research prior to signing on the line. If they get sold on something because of a silver tongue and not full truth you can bet they will find out and that will be it for that company in drifting which is bad for EVERYONE.

Overall Im just hopeful the issues that have happened in the past do not happen within drifting. I think most of the pro drivers are smart and think about long term these days in regards of the future of the sport and not the quick pot of gold over the rainbow.

I personally have decided against some offers as I feel making right decisions now could save the sport for the future. The future includes all of you on here that aspire to compete one day or even those of you that just enjoy watching competitive drifting. Everyone needs to be smart and learn from mistakes of past series in almost all forms of motorsports.

As for me personally I just want to drive and have some good fun hardcore competition. I'm going to focus on Formula D, D1GP, worldwide Demos and exhibitions to continue pumping up the sport and participatiing in its growth and continue to work with the rest of the DA boys and Falken to help create opportunity for aspiring drivers. Im curious to see the judging and level of competition at NOPI based on how that grows competitively I would consider checking one of there east coast events out in a back up car.

Fact of the matter is there are alot of great drivers with good heads on there shoulders here in the states and everyone wants to continue to help grow the sport and have fun. Most of drivers talk and discuss these concerns and everyone has been working together this far. Of course there are some that are selfish... But As long as the love for the sport and communication continues I dont think there is anything to worry about.
          DRIFTING IS HERE TO STAY!!!!!

JR
          www.driftalliance.com
          TEAM FALKEN

Comment

^^ TO J.R.

HERE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good words bro

Comment

Originally posted by j.r. View Post
              Here are my personal opinions about the series for 2007.

Formula D is the American Professional drifting series. Thats all there is to it. Great Drivers, Great Sponsors, Great venues, and serious competition for spectators to enjoy. going on 4 solid years and EVERYTHING in relation to it has grown year after the year. Formula D is the series that has the support from all of the top Drivers and manufacturers that know whats going on in the USA . ESPN-2 is going to be great for the series and drifting in general

D1GP- pretty much the inventors of competitive Drifting. Great events amazing competitors which makes for an amazing show for spectators and competition for drivers and really the only chance we get to compete against top Japanese drivers which is awesome.I think its cool they want to have a few more events here in the USA. It will give more fans opportunity to see there favorite Japanese drivers as well as give fans an opportunity to see top American drivers more often. Im not to sure of there TV deal but have heard there will be some sort of coverage on speed which is also good for the sport.

Nopi- I think\hope is going to end up being the series that is going to breed drivers to come up to the D1 and Formula D level. They have the schedule and regions to help the growth of the sport if thats what they wanted to do.I wish that they would have just created the events based towards that scenario rather then calling it a "professional series" ( I know its not a perfect world....)NOPI will get what they want in regards to better attendance and more $$ just by adding drifting to the schedule. I am curious to see the level of competition that they bring. I also think it is going to take time for them to develop everything. They are going to have to go through the trial and error just as Formula D did almost 4 years ago. To this day they still havent announced judging other then they are using the driftbox which could be a cool reference but definately not going to judge a competition. No details of there tv deal either.I have heard there will be a drift segment on there tunervision show..so we will see when they officially announce these things.

IDRC- They seem to just be running regional events pretty much for up and coming drivers that cant travel to be able to compete in there region. I think this will also be a good breeding ground for good drivers just like FD pro am events and Just drift events.

In regards to sponsors. you are right things thin out when they are being drug in 10 different directions and everyone talking to them has a silver tongue. The only thing that anyone can do is pray that any sponsor does there research prior to signing on the line. If they get sold on something because of a silver tongue and not full truth you can bet they will find out and that will be it for that company in drifting which is bad for EVERYONE.

Overall Im just hopeful the issues that have happened in the past do not happen within drifting. I think most of the pro drivers are smart and think about long term these days in regards of the future of the sport and not the quick pot of gold over the rainbow.

I personally have decided against some offers as I feel making right decisions now could save the sport for the future. The future includes all of you on here that aspire to compete one day or even those of you that just enjoy watching competitive drifting. Everyone needs to be smart and learn from mistakes of past series in almost all forms of motorsports.

As for me personally I just want to drive and have some good fun hardcore competition. I'm going to focus on Formula D, D1GP, worldwide Demos and exhibitions to continue pumping up the sport and participatiing in its growth and continue to work with the rest of the DA boys and Falken to help create opportunity for aspiring drivers. Im curious to see the judging and level of competition at NOPI based on how that grows competitively I would consider checking one of there east coast events out in a back up car.

Fact of the matter is there are alot of great drivers with good heads on there shoulders here in the states and everyone wants to continue to help grow the sport and have fun. Most of drivers talk and discuss these concerns and everyone has been working together this far. Of course there are some that are selfish... But As long as the love for the sport and communication continues I dont think there is anything to worry about.
              DRIFTING IS HERE TO STAY!!!!!

JR
              The man is a freakin' poet...*sniff sniff tear*

SHAKE 'N BAKE J.R!....SHAKE 'N BAKE!!!

Comment

I hope that the sport will continue on until we all eventually die, there really is no skill to drag racing and take a look at what happend it eventually just kind of lost its fame, now its seen as something more for rednecks and guys who cant race (if u drag race and drift dont worry about it), hopefully this will be recognized and we can take a short brake from it all and maybe settle down, and then come back with a glorious bang. just a idea, but that would sound to much like what the NHL did (back in 2004 i think???).

Comment

Wait, since when was import drag racing dead? i still see tons of it around and it gets a lot more televised events than drifting at the moment, i think the real thing that happened was it just evolved into other things like track racing, time attacks, drifting, and whatever. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the drifters today will go on in a few years to compete in road racing, many already do anyway.

Comment

i have a banana!

Comment

Was that editorial in D-Sport written by Mike Ferrera? Mr Death-To-Primedia who uses his monthly editorials to beat up his former employer, the one who gave him a break in his industry?

How does that saying go? Don't bite the hand that feeds (or in this case, fed) you?

hmmmm...

I don't think drifting is going anywhere. I think what you're seeing is the development of more organized events with full insurance policies, full safety regulations, and the like. People are getting organized, getting safe, and securing higher-quality facilities for the up-and-comings to develop their skills. I don't see that as a bad thing. Things are getting more professional, more organized, and more legitimate. We have to remember that this sport grew out of an illegal activity. It's not doing too shabby when you remember that!

Anyone who thinks that Drifting is going to go away doesn't understand the union of the Gen X / Gen Y crowd, and the motorsports and specifically the Sport Compact and automotive aftermarket industry. This "fad" will be as much of a blockbuster or as damaging of a bomb as the person spearheading the marketing of an individual company makes it. If you have someone who will believe the lip-service of any drifter with a propsal, then the company's presence will not be felt by the consumer that they are attempting to reach. If they have someone with industry knowledge (and experience) behind the reigns, then the company will capitalize on that.

take it for what it's worth

edit - I did some digging, his rant was in the Jan '07 magazine:
                      http://www.dragsport.com/issue/2007/0107_pub_note.shtml

PS - In the following Februrary issue, D-sport made their predictions for 2007:
                      http://www.dragsport.com/issue/2007/0207_pub_note.shtml

Here's our predictions for 2007:

1. Drifting will suffer setbacks as number of competitive series increase.
                      2. Grassroots/Privateer import drag racing participation will increase while "professional" classes will see limited turnouts.
                      3. DSport will be the only magazine to grow in its segment.
                      4. Home-grown tuners will reach record numbers as do-it-yourself REFLASH software and hardware make everyone with a laptop think that they know how to tune.
                      5. Import performance enthusiasts will spend more money than ever before on upgraded braking systems and suspension components.
                      6. Nitrous-oxide will see a major comeback on street-performance vehicles.
                      7. Diaper and drip-pan rules for NHRA Sport Compact events will severely limit participation from new competitors.
                      8. Import road racing interest will reach new highs.
                      9. DSport will finally organize a Tokyo Auto Salon for 2008 (no really, we will!)
                      10. DSport will begin publishing of Performance Book series.
                      I don't see how 1 and 3 work together. Especially since 4 of their 12 cover cars in 2006 WERE drift cars...
                      Last edited by Slapshotnerd; 02-03-2007, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deadpirate View Post
                        i dont think this year will END drifting. but im sure a few of the drifting series will not be back next year.
                        There have been more FAILED drifting series than successful ones. Survival of the fittest. I think that's the safest bet in Vegas

Comment

Japan's got D1,
                          U.S.A. has Formula D,
                          and for us canadians up north, we've got Drift Mania.

I'm sure these will remain as the professional level ranks to achieve, then hopefully one day, we'll see representatives from all different countries around the world to compete in one big event.

As for now though, as far as sponsorship thinning out, I doubt that'll happen anytime soon. Most manufacturers tend to help out homegrown talent and events. Well established companies often sponsor the pro level drivers and lesser known shops/companies help out the amateur level talent so I doubt things will thin out.

The only thing is with many more brands of parts and such coming out, the market's becoming a bit more diluted so in a few years, we may see some companies going under due to lack of sales, but I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon since the rate of people taking up drifting is higher than the rate of companies popping up.

If anyone knows how the skateboarding trend went, I think it'll follow something similar to that nature. It came out with a bang, it settled down for a few years, some companies went under, then it caught on big again, more companies tried to cash in on it, then it leveled out again and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by I<3LS400 View Post
                            there really is no skill to drag racing
                            when your running 18 second passes maybe there isnt.

Comment

Originally posted by hatebbobbarker View Post
                              i have a banana!

how much shipped to 33637

Comment

Working...
                              X