• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info on corolla

sorry if this has nothing to do with drifting, but what makes a
    corolla an sr-5?
    I'm lurking....
    no, I'm not ditching the chevette.

The SR5 is the none GT-S model. Im no corrolla expert but, The SR5 had drum brakes, open differential, 3umsomething or other SOHC 1.5 liter engine. its the so called AE85. As opposed to the 4Age powered LSD equiped, four wheel disk brake (i think? im almost certain) powered GT-S (AE86) um. toyota guys is that all right?

Comment

theyre all ae86 in america aparently. The SR-5 came with a carb'd 4ac, its a 4age block with sohc head and carbs. It wasn't specific to LSD as some came w/ some w/o, same with GT-S also. Not all GT-S were LSD. Drum brakes and different rear axle (?).

Comment

SR5 - AE86 Chassis (AE85 was NEVER offered in the states.)
        1.6 4a block/ crank(I think.. havent verified it)
        different pistons, head, carbed, rear drums, lower class interior (But better door panels), less decals (important to some of you), worse gas milage, 70 hp.. Mine has a valve lash problem.. which will be soon fixed with a 4ag.

GTS - AE86 Chassis (AE88 on the vin plate)
        1.6 4a block
        4 valve pistons (4 recessed areas where the valves would be instead of 2 for the 4ac), different head, fuel injected, different interior, disk rear brakes, offered with LSD, different gas tank, clutch lines, speedo gear, steering wheel, gauge cluster with Check Engine light (SR5 doesnt have this.. go figure)..

glad to be of assistance.

Comment

what i know of toyota chassis codes. and admitidly im a nissan guy, the second number is the model right? so the 4age powered japanese model was the 86 right? and the crummy engine model in japan was the 85? and you said the GTS in america was the 88, so whats the sr5?

Comment

all chassis in america were ae86.

Comment

corolla sr5 was offered here in us through '84-'87 while the gts through '85-'87. sr5 has a vin# w/ ae86 while the gts has a vin# w/ ae88. us base models (sr5) has a slight power over its japanese base model counterparts (se, xl-lisse) bec. us has 1.6l carb 4ac while japan has 3a, 1.5l.

Comment

So to you toyota guys this may sound like a dumb question. But does anyone build up that caberated Sr5? or is the engine just crummy?

Comment

though the 4ac share the same bottom end w/ the 4age, its internals are not as strong or robust as the 4age. some people do work on the 4ac, but it would only bring hp power up to a 4ag at best, imho.

Comment

Thats a Fable, The 4-AC internals are just as strong as the AG

Comment

lol

is this the 86 version of the "ka is stroner then SR" arguement?

Comment

sounds like it to me, but I've got my info for now.
                        there's an sr-5 down the block an old guy drives, and I was gonna try and see how much he wanted. right now I'm gonna stick with the chevette because I just found some parts and a
                        set of black vial mesh wheels.
                        thanx for every ones info.

Comment

one good thing about the sr5 is you can get a 4age and just carb it so not much rewiring has to be done. otherwise it's a pain. just a thunk.

Comment

Originally posted by RubHamusan
                            one good thing about the sr5 is you can get a 4age and just carb it so not much rewiring has to be done. otherwise it's a pain. just a thunk.
                            ya carbed 4ages are teh ownage. mmmm keihins mmmmm

Comment

yeah, an SR5 carbed motor will be the shiieeeet!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X