Getting a Car... HELP...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a Car... HELP...

sup...im 16 turning 17 really soon so iam getting my G2 in a few months. I have 6000 dollars saved up and im looking for a car, iam looking for a car that i can drift with but that is also reliable. i could proby borrow money from my parents. I was thinking of a 1991 240sx and throw in a turbo for 2000 dollars.

What do guys think i should get for a first car that i can take/learn drifting ???
    THANKS

If speed kills, your looking at a dead man
    Attached Files
    240 sx
    76.92%
    Trueno
    7.69%
    anything else let me know
    15.38%

What? Sorry I was de............. .............. stracted

Comment

lol does anyone wanna answear ????????????????????????????????????????????

Comment

For your only car, a 240 won't be bad. To start drifting, utilize the horsepower that's there allready before you put on a turbo. But, before you put on a turbo, either rebuild the engine or swap it out. You probably don't want to be boosting a 100K+ mile motor on your only car.

If you don't know, the US 240SX came with a KA24DE (Nissan truck 2.4L dual OHC). You can swap in a SR20DET (2.0L Dual OHC Turbo) from a Japan-spec car for more power and reliability of that power. If you don't know much about swaps, you can probably get a SR20 240SX from a tuning shopo for 6 or 7 grand.

Other cars you might want to consider are:

Mazda RX-7 (if you know rotaries)
        Mazda Miata (if you don't)
        Chevy Chevette (less than $500 to get a running one, leaving a LOT of money for upgrades and/or motor swap - also has 51/49% weight distro)
        Ford Mustang (domestic, but plenty of power available)
        Lexus IS300
        Datsun 240Z-1st gen 300ZX

What are your parameters? How well do you know cars? Do you know rotaries? Will you have to drive in the snow? Do you need a hatchback or big trunk, or does it matter? Is image a consideration?

-MR

Comment

-MR-
          Thanks a lot i know some stuff on engines im still learning, but yea i do know what a rotary is, but ive heard that many people say that you have to rebuiled it aroun 80,000km on the 93+ model but those Fd's are to much money for my 1st car.
          A lexus IS 300 is good. I found this one but its not in good shape.http://www.trader.ca/PrestigeCollisi...tegory=&alpha=

Iam not really into domestics that much but thasnk anyway, iam really into EUROS

Thanks again

Comment

if youre just starting, get the cheapest car you can because eventually you will crash and then you will need to buy parts. You don't need a turbo right away as you will suck and not need that much power. The IS300 is a bad choice because it will cost too much to buy initially and it will cost tons to repair. You don't need power to drift, you need experience first, suspension upgrades second. its all about driver skill. 240 will be a quick way into the game being cheap, easy to work on and cheap to repair. Same with corollas except it might need more work to get going initially because theyre a little older. FC might be good but if you dont know how to work on rotaries i wouldnt advise it. There are a ton of threads about this and I would do a whole lot of searching before asking too many more questions. This goes to a lot of people, you guys are asking the same questions that can be found in 4 different posts on the same page. I'm not flaming, just saying this; what you should do is read, read, read. If you have a specific question on something, then search, search, search. If you still have that question or dont understand something really technical/confusing then ask. Hey, I think that should be in the instructions in the beginning when people sign up. Yo Pita, I see you editing everyones posts, take this and put it somewhere where everyone can see it.

Comment

I agree with Panda, but only if you are going to be doing a lot of drifting. If you are going to realistically only drift a few times a month, then I would suggest getting a comfortable car that can drift when asked, such as an IS300.

If you carry people (which just about anyone who is one of the first of their friends to get a car) then I would strongly suggest a sedan like the IS300 of any one of the many many BMW's (An E30 M3 would be awesome as well). If you were to get a Volvo, the money you save on insurance can be spent on upgrades (many come with turbo's as well). If you go to police auctions you could find a V6 (only manual version) Lincoln LS for your price range.

A point that I was going to make before is that if you like Euro cars, like to work on cars, and don't need a lot of cargo space you ought to look at the older British roadsters like the MG B's, Jaguar T-types, Midgets, and the like. Their light weight and simplicity really do make them ideal learner's cars IMO.

Unless you really know how to work on rotaries or know someone who is willing to teach you, stay away from the RX's for now.

Still, a 240 won't be a bad chioce because of the drifting community's ties to it, but don't base your chioce purely on drifting unless you want to be driving a race car on the street.

-MR

Comment

thanks a lot ... i was thinking of trueno how are they ? what would you rather pick 240 sx or Tureno turbo or SR5 and why ?

This dosent have to do with anything in this topic but how can you be a profesional drifter or a racer ? Iam only 16 , do you guys think its to late to start because there is someone in D1 hes only 16 turning 17 soon and hes pro.

Oh well thanks a lot for the help

Comment

I would get something cheap and keep it stock for a while. You're gonna need money once you start.

You don't need power
                  You don't need suspension

you do need practice! Just go out and make the most of a stock car.

If it came down to it, unless you like working on cars get the 240. The corolla will need constant attention.

Also, get something you're not afraid to damage. Because you will break stuff.

What car do you have now? Can you practice with that?

Comment

Ok first off, don't buy a car just cause you want to drift it. Odds are you are going to try it and either wreck it, not like it, or get dis-interested because it's a hard thing to practice. Then you will have something that you wont want and have to sell.

I would also recommend not posting the eye-candy. It's going to get erased and it isn't really appropriate to the forum.

Other than that, welcome to the forum and good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Comment

Just get an 240sx and drift but save your money until you can drift better and buy the other stuff.

or

You can get an trueno if you want.

Comment

thasnk a lot for the help
                        i dont have my own car i drive my moms grand prix front wheel drive lol

is there any other cheap car that is driftable.

How much money do you have to put in a truen or 240 to make it a real goood drifter . thansk

Peace

Comment

You need to do some more research. The main aspect of a drift car is its suspension set up..And your skills..So its not how much money it takes to make it a " good drift car " its how much time and effort youre willing to put into practice. My suggestion for you though, Is an S13 or the 86. The S13s are really easy to find..And are good cars and are cheap. The 86 will require more work mainly because there will be restoring to do to it unless you find a real nice one. Hell you could practically fully build an 86 with engine swap and suspension and ect for 6000. www.club4ag.com check out that site for info on the corolla (ae86) And for the s13, Do not turbo the KA. If you want to do engine performance too..Do an SR20..The full swap will cost you about 3200 if you install it yourself. Just check out both cars, And drive them both and see what matches what you want out of the car the most.

Comment

I would buy an s13 and look around for an SR20DET for it. Motorex (www.motorex.net) has an O-K deal on engine swaps. If you can get to California theyll do the labor for you too (at an additional price). You can buy an S13 blacktop or redtop for a total of ~4k including installation.

Comment

thanks that site was helpfull

i found a SR20DET for 2500 canadian i also live in canada. This place is only a hour away too but they dont install it. I dont know any good garages that would install it for me. i guess im gonna have to go and look around.

why wouldnt you want a turbo on a trueno ???? thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X