D1GP EAST Coast Event (MAY 4/5th) Englishtown, NJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D1GP EAST Coast Event (MAY 4/5th) Englishtown, NJ

D1 GRAND PRIX ANNOUNCES FIRST EAST COAST EVENT WITH OPENING ROUND OF 2007 PROFESSIONAL DRIFTING SERIES

The first-ever east coast appearance of the D1GP professional drifting series will take place with the season opener on May 4 and 5th at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ. Like the successful 2006 All Star Exhibition Match held last July in Las Vegas, D1GP is once again teaming up with the NHRA Sport Compact Drag Racing Series to lay down more tire smoke than ever before for fans of this amazing drift and drag sport-compact spectacle.

The D1 Grand Prix's commitment to providing the highest quality and most entertaining drifting competitions in the world will culminate in New Jersey this spring when a slew of all-new pro drift cars piloted by some of Japan’s superstars of drifting, including Kumakubo, Tanaka, Nomu-ken, Ueno, Yoshioka, Saito, and others, engage in fierce door handle-to-door handle tandem battles of car control and nerves with the top drifting stars from the U.S.

In another east coast first, local drifters will also have a chance to become the next D1GP star driver by showing their stuff to D1GP judges, Keiichi “Drift King” Tsuchiya and Daijiro Inada, the founder of Option Magazine and the Tokyo Auto Salon. This first-ever east coast D1GP ikaten, or driver search, will give drivers a chance at the first step in competing with the best drift drivers in the world in the D1 Grand Prix U.S. Series.

This exclusive event will be broadcast on ESPN2. Ticket and vendor/exhibitor information is available at http://www.etownraceway.com. Detailed schedule will be posted shortly to http://www.d1gp.com

D1GP U.S. Series 2007 Confirmed Schedule
    * May 4/5th Old Bridge Township Raceway Park
    - Englishtown, NJ (TV broadcast: ESPN2)

* June 23/24th Altamont Motorsports Park
    - Tracy, CA

* July 13/14th Las Vegas Motor Speedway
    - Las Vegas, NV (TV broadcast: ESPN2)

* Nov 24/25th Irwindale Speedway
    - Irwindale, CA (2nd World All Star, TV broadcast: Speed Channel)

Argh.

June 23/24 = Nopi LA
    July 13/14 = Formula D Seattle
    Nov 24/25 = Thanksgiving weekend

For a series which announced their 'updated' schedule almost 3 full months after the other events were finalized, you'd think they'd try and avoid these weekends.

I want to go to D1, but I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on traveling back and forth, and taking red-eye flights to be at events 500 - 1000 miles away the following day. I already have almost 20 weekends of events full, adding additional events on those same weekends just makes it impossible for me to attend.

I've been to every D1 event in the US since they came stateside in 2003. However, with this schedule, there's no way I can afford to attend these events.

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
      Argh.

June 23/24 = Nopi LA
      July 13/14 = Formula D Seattle
      Nov 24/25 = Thanksgiving weekend
      Just want to confirm. Nopi LA is 6/23-6/24? It's 6/30-7/1 on the nopi site.

And 7/13-7/14 is Formula D Infineon Raceway in Sonoma. Not Seattle if I have not mistaken.
      Hubert Young
      KORE 8 Films

Comment

Originally posted by Hubert Young View Post
        Just want to confirm. Nopi LA is 6/23-6/24? It's 6/30-7/1 on the nopi site.

And 7/13-7/14 is Formula D Infineon Raceway in Sonoma. Not Seattle if I have not mistaken.
        You're right on the NOPI date. It's actually NOPI Colorado, which won't have as much affect, but as you know, I'll be in another state instead of D1.

As for FD - Seattle and Sonoma dates got switched sometime in February. http://formulad.com/prochampionship.php - Round 4: Bring On The Heat!
        Evergreen Speedway
        Saturday July 14, 2007

Comment

Conflicting dates stink, not only fo the fans, but the drivers as well. I think that someone here is trying to back the drivers into a corner and force them to decide between certain series'. I have a feeling that someone may not get what they want out of that type of tactic either. Nobody likes to be given ultimatums, and that is what it seems to be if you read between the lines.
          In So Cal. there are 3 big amatuer groups running great events and all three of them manage to get along, show respect for each other, and most of all.... competition dates don't conflict with each other. That way the driver are not forced to miss one or the other. They have a choice of thier own but if they wanted to, any driver could attend both of them as well. I have seen many drivers from JD's Top Drift Battle in attendance at DB's Drift Buffet Tandem comp. I like it that way.

Comment

- Tracy, CA

I wonder if they know that DriftxBattle has just went to court & fought for having their events to the end of this year. I wonder if that will have a rollplay when/if D1 comes along.. hmm

Sketchy..

Comment

Originally posted by VDMTom View Post
              - Tracy, CA

I wonder if they know that DriftxBattle has just went to court & fought for having their events to the end of this year. I wonder if that will have a rollplay when/if D1 comes along.. hmm

Sketchy..
              well planned stuff.

dee de deeee
              Last edited by akuma S14; 03-24-2007, 12:10 PM.

Comment

I have a feeling D1 will change their dates on atleast the events that conflict with Formula D. If they can't respect Formula D's schedule then I think bad times will lay ahead for D1GP. But I will be at NJ!

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u View Post
                  I have a feeling D1 will change their dates on atleast the events that conflict with Formula D. If they can't respect Formula D's schedule then I think bad times will lay ahead for D1GP. But I will be at NJ!
                  The Vegas event is a co-produced event with NHRA Sport Compact. Formula D announced their schedule at SEMA. NHRA Sport Compact announced their schedule at PRI, almost a month later. D1 doesn't have any say on adjusting the NHRA dates, so the July conflict with FD won't change.

Remember, D1 just announced these dates this week, almost 4 full months after SEMA. If they wanted to avoid conflicts, you think they would have done so before announcing the dates. It's not like FD's dates were a secret.

Drift Mania announced their dates just under a month ago, and although they announced them late, they avoided ALL conflicts with FD and NOPI. Why? Because they recognize the importance of scheduling appropriately.

D1 has screwed many people before. They just don't care. Last year, there were 4 D1 events (March D1, July D1 + NHRA collab, August D1 + Nascar collab, and December D1 All Stars) and I dealt with 4 different people for media contacts. How many companies do you know that fire the media contact 4 times in one year?

Comment

I really wouldn't call englishtown a scheduling conflict... it's two different series on two different sides of the country. Pic one.

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
                      The Vegas event is a co-produced event with NHRA Sport Compact. Formula D announced their schedule at SEMA. NHRA Sport Compact announced their schedule at PRI, almost a month later. D1 doesn't have any say on adjusting the NHRA dates, so the July conflict with FD won't change.

Remember, D1 just announced these dates this week, almost 4 full months after SEMA. If they wanted to avoid conflicts, you think they would have done so before announcing the dates. It's not like FD's dates were a secret.

Drift Mania announced their dates just under a month ago, and although they announced them late, they avoided ALL conflicts with FD and NOPI. Why? Because they recognize the importance of scheduling appropriately.

D1 has screwed many people before. They just don't care. Last year, there were 4 D1 events (March D1, July D1 + NHRA collab, August D1 + Nascar collab, and December D1 All Stars) and I dealt with 4 different people for media contacts. How many companies do you know that fire the media contact 4 times in one year?
                      D1GP may go the way of PRIDE FC

Comment

PRIDE FC is being sold to UFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Al View Post
                          Yeah and in a few years with the business practices of D1, Slipstream Global may be in a position to buy them out as well. PRIDE FC is a vastly superior product than the UFC but do to corruption and horrible business decisions, found themselves in extreme debt. Hell D1 lost the former champ to FD. Sounds a bit like Cro Cop coming to the UFC doesn't it?
                          Last edited by my 1 88 u; 03-24-2007, 07:59 PM.

Comment

You mean with CroCop and Silva crossing over?

Fighters have crossed back and forth between UFC and Pride for a good decade, depending on where the check was and if they could be competitive at a given weight.

Pride still has Fedor, and Fedor is untouchable. As much as I love Randy Coulter I don't see UFC putting up a heavyweight good enough at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Al View Post
                              http://ufcmania.com/2007/03/22/repor...le-is-pending/

Where have I been?

Comment

Working...
                              X