Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHRIS FORSBERG (Interview)

Chris Forsberg Strong Addition to Maxxis’ Drifting Roster

With a recently announced sponsorship, Chris Forsberg may be new to Maxxis, but he isn’t new to drifting: At age 20, he was helping to run some of the first regularly scheduled east coast events. Now 24, he’s racked up outstanding performances, including two wins, four trips to the podium, and 14 spots in the top ten. Currently a seeded driver, he finished 12th in points in Formula D 2006. Driving his Nissan 350Z’s, Forsberg is scheduled to compete at events across the US from April through November.

In a recent interview with Maxxis, Forsberg talked about drifting, the upcoming season, and his new relationship with Maxxis.

MD: I know you’ve loved cars and racing from an early age, and you were involved in drifting early on. What attracted you to drifting?
    Forsberg: I guess just the fact that it’s different from all forms of racing. It’s the only motorsport that lets you have your own style. It’s not about having the fastest car or the most money; it’s about how you drive your car.

MD: What’s the best thing about competing?
    Forsberg: The thrill of going as fast as you can and going for it all on every run. You never know if you’re gonna spin out and crash against a wall. The harder you drive, the better you’ll do, but at the same time, the more you risk.

MD: Why do you think drifting is becoming so popular?
    Forsberg: The publicity of it: at first, it was just a bunch of kids running around a parking lot, but now, it’s on national TV and gaining public attention.

MD: How much time do you spend working on your car and practicing?
    Forsberg: We spend most of our time building the cars. The complete off-season, me and my head mechanic spend rebuilding and refining the car. For practice, we usually get about two practice events a month.

MD: How do you feel about the coming season?
    Forsberg: We made a lot of changes to the car, basically handling a lot of issues that we had last year. I’m definitely looking to have a very good season this year.

MD: What are you looking for in a drifting tire?
    Forsberg: You need high traction during slip angle because most tires when they start to slide are only designed to have grip. Most tires aren’t designed to have traction when they’re actually spinning – they’re usually less – so we’re the opposite.

MD: How do you feel about your new relationship with Maxxis?
    Forsberg: It seems it’s been great so far, and it should definitely help with our race team this year. They seem very focused on driver feedback and helping drivers do better. With their experience in lots of other sports, they [can really help.]

MD: What do you like to do for fun?
    Forsberg: We build and work on and transport – this whole drift team – 24 hours a day. If I have free time, I like to spend it building motorcycles or just taking a break.

MD: What kind of music do you like?
    Forsberg: Just like rock & roll, you could say.

MD: Do you ever use music to get psyched up for an event?
    Forsberg: We actually have been known to puts stereos in our competition drift cars and listen while we drive. It kind of gets you going. It helps you relax during downtime.

For the latest news on Chris Forsberg, be sure to check out Maxxis.com.
Working...
X