Sr20det powered Rx-7? -Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sr20det powered Rx-7? -Possible?

I recently picked up the modified magazine and It had a rx-7 with a sr20det engine in it. I heard people saying that rotor engines are hard to maintain, but I think we have a solution! I am just wondering if you guys think its easy to do or u need a real good technician to do this....

Anything is possible with time, money, a welder, a ban saw, a sawzall, steel, aluminum, and the skills to yield the above. Not smart, but possible. Rotarys are fantastic engines. Hard to maintain?! Hardly, unless you dont know how to change the oil.

Comment

Well I have a friend and he says he has problems with it every week. I heard a lot of people saying that. Hmm....Maybe your right....Its how u treat it i guess.

Comment

C'mon man. That takes the R out of RX7.

Comment

Sounds like an interesting Idea, but you will probably hurt the weight distribution and deffenately make it heavier.. plus the rotary guys will probably hang you for it...

Comment

ANything is Possible! How Deep Is Your Pocket??!!

Anything is possible if you have Money or the resources to do it..
            I think ank kind of Swap would be cool..I always wanted a V-8 ,RX-7=)

Realibility Is a issue for any car but i do believe a Rotary motor does take to over revving better and higher without blowing a valve..=) we dont have them =)

I say any car with MUCHO power will have reliability issues..
            Thats why im gonna stick to around 200-300RWHP..
            and thats alot for any engine under 2.0!!
            Last edited by JunpoweR; 02-16-2004, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Actually...With the sr20det engine the weight will be less than before. The front becomes lighter than the rotor engine because you are going to cut off the metal and the extra stuff. I guess it will take off the R in rx7, but it'll be a cool project.

Comment

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Comment

Originally posted by Norcalidrifter
                  Actually...With the sr20det engine the weight will be less than before. The front becomes lighter than the rotor engine because you are going to cut off the metal and the extra stuff. I guess it will take off the R in rx7, but it'll be a cool project.

wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Norcalidrifter

you're kidding right?

Comment

IT FLIPPIN SAYS IN THE BOOK! Im reading it right now and thats what it says!!! I thought at first it'll be heavier, but then in the book it says its 65 pound lighter.....

Comment

don't think the fackin magazines are bibles. They're screwey. The rotory motor is much lighter than a SR. Why do you think the RX7 has such good balance?

A SR swap is doable, have fun though.

Comment

What book is this??

Comment

He's saying that you can cut things out.

It's not like the rotary weighs nothing.

About this low-displacement claim -
                            Saying that a rotary makes X amount of power on 1.3 L isn't quite fair when comparing it to a piston engine. For a 2.0L 4-cyl, you are only using 1.0 L of that per revolution (since only 2 of the cylinders will fire in one revolution), while a 1.3L Rotar engine will combust 6 times per revolution (in a twin-rotar) using all 1.3L. This increased combustion is why the rotary gets such crappy gas mileage.

I love the rotary design and do think it's a mervelous engine. It is really too bad that rotaries haven't gotten the development that piston engines have (more than 100 years of R&D), because it really is a superior design. However, with engineering where it is today, it isn't hard to make a piston engine that weighs the same as a rotary, makes the same power and is more reliable.

-MR

Comment

well it isnt a book, its a magazine called "Modified Magazine." Well Im convinced that the sr20 is heavier, but you have to think about all the metal that was cut off.

Comment

Working...
                              X