HOGAN, HÜBINETTE and COOK @ FORMULA D ATLANTA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOGAN, HÜBINETTE and COOK @ FORMULA D ATLANTA

Team Mopar® Drifters Samuel Hübinette, Chris Cook and Nick Hogan Present a Triple Threat at Road Atlanta

• Hübinette hungry for first solo win in his Mopar Dodge Charger SRT8
    • Cook debuts new Dodge Viper SRT10 and looks to crack the Top 16
    Hogan takes over the Dodge Viper SRT10 Hübinette piloted to 2006 title
    • Event details

Center Line, Mich. — Team Mopar® drifter and two-time Road Atlanta event winner Samuel Hübinette will have some company this weekend as he looks to notch his third win at the track. When Hübinette gazes out the window of his Mopar Dodge Charger SRT8 drift machine, he’ll see Snake eyes — the Dodge Viper SRT10s of fellow Team Mopar drifters Chris Cook and Nick Hogan.

Cook made his debut last month in the Formula Drift season opener on the Streets of Long Beach in California. He came up just short in his bid to make the Top 16 in his Mopar/BFG/ShiftIntoGear Dodge Viper SRT10, impressing fans and judges alike in his inaugural Formula Drift event. Hogan, son of professional wrestling legend Hulk Hogan, will make his Formula Drift debut at Road Atlanta. Cook and Hogan will be anchored by Mopar veteran Hübinette, the two-time and defending Formula Drift champion, as the drifting trio takes aim at the top spot on the Atlanta podium.

Hübinette hungry for his first solo win in his Mopar Dodge Charger SRT8
    A track record that includes eight career wins, two Formula Drift championships and one runner-up championship finish has garnered Samuel Hübinette a well-deserved reputation as one of the elite drifters in the sport. Hübinette, along with Formula D drivers Rhys Millen and Tanner Foust, has already captured a Team Drift win in his Mopar Dodge Charger SRT8. However, a seventh place finish in the Long Beach main event has left Hübinette with the hunger of a rookie as he seeks his first solo win since switching from a Mopar Dodge Viper SRT10 to his new Mopar Dodge Charger SRT8 machine.

“My goal is to always be on the podium,” said Hübinette. “I’ve never been content with second-place. After bringing out [the Charger] at Long Beach, we found things we had to fine-tune. With help from BFGoodrich, we’ve been working with getting some more traction in the rear. We have the power already from our Mopar 392 HEMI engine, that’s not the issue. We need to keep the momentum throughout the course, and that’s where you need to rely on your tires. So, we’ve made some changes, and I’m really excited to try out those changes at Atlanta.”

Hübinette’s two prior wins at the facility have created a loyal following at Road Atlanta for the Swedish native, who became an American citizen last year.

“It’s been a successful place for Team Mopar and me,” Hübinette observed. “We’re excited to come out to Atlanta in our fresh new Mopar Dodge Charger SRT8. It’s always fun to come back to Atlanta. There’s a lot of support for Mopar there, a lot backing there, and the Road Atlanta crowd is one of the best of all the tracks we visit.”

Hübinette’s Charger SRT8 has been well-received by competitors and fans alike.

“The fact that we had a good finish at Long Beach with not a lot of development time on the car is awesome,” said Hübinette. “People are surprised at what we have achieved, compared to all the much lighter cars we are competing against. The cool thing is the buzz around this car. It’s a pure, American muscle monster drifter, and people just love it.”

Cook debuts new Dodge Viper SRT10 and looks to crack the Top 16
    Team Mopar drifting rookie Chris Cook will break in a new car at Road Atlanta, as the veteran NASCAR Busch Series and Nextel Cup driver will pilot a brand-new Dodge Viper SRT10, sporting a retro-green muscle car paint scheme and race prepped by Shaun Carlson and his NuFormz Racing team (Carlson is the owner and Team director for all three Team Mopar drifters). With one event under his belt and with plenty of testing time in the new Mopar/BFG/ShiftIntoGear Dodge Viper SRT10 in his pocket, Cook will look to break into the Top 16 in only his second drift event.

“You have to run your own race, so to speak,” said Cook on his approach for the upcoming event. “I’m not going to hold back. They’re going to see smoke, they’re going to see speed, they’re going to see angle. The green hot rod is going to put on a show.”

With an attitude like that, it’s no surprise Cook was known as “Wild Thing” back in his days as a Late Model competitor.

“I guess I got that nickname running in the Late Model series in Nashville years ago,” Cook recalled. “Part of it was dealing with a car that was extremely loose. Smoke would be coming off the tires at a serious angle. People were saying, ‘That’s wild, that’s wild.’ Pretty soon [the track] was playing the song ‘Wild Thing’ before qualifying.”

Although he is a newcomer to the motor sport, emboldened by recent test sessions, Cook is ready to show the drifting world that he has the talent to match up with the elite of the sport.

“I’m very thankful to be running on BFGoodrich tires with a Mopar hot rod, with Shaun Carlson and all the guys making it possible,” said Cook. “We tested my new car recently, and it’s just really fantastic. It’s a new car from the ground up. I’m kind of the new guy on the block, and I’ve got something to prove.”

Hogan takes over the Dodge Viper SRT10 Hübinette piloted to 2006 title
    Nick Hogan has some big shoes to fill, as the young drifter will take the wheel of the Dodge Viper SRT10 that Hübinette steered to the Formula Drift championship last year. Chris Cook competed in the car at the Long Beach event while his new Dodge Viper SRT10 was completed, with Hogan taking the wheel for a NOPI Drift event in Miami in April.

Hogan put together a very solid professional debut at the Miami event, qualifying seventh and making the Top 16 before taking a first round loss. The youngest licensed Formula D drifter at age 16, Hogan will gain valuable seat time and drifting experience when he makes his Formula Drift professional debut in Atlanta.

Event Details
    Hübinette, Cook and Hogan will aim to bring home the first 2007 Formula Drift win for Mopar at the Round Two event, scheduled for Saturday, May 12. The media day and practice is May 11. For ticket and event information, visit Formula D’s new Web site at http://www.formuladrift.com.
Working...
X