ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

W.I.P: International doc. explaining drifting (for drivers, organizers and judges)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W.I.P: International doc. explaining drifting (for drivers, organizers and judges)

Hi everyone. First of all I must warn you that this will be a looong post

As both a driver, an organizer and a judge, I feel obliged to learn as much as possible about drifting. I've been looking everywhere for a document that contained everything there is to know about the sport. But I haven't really found anything. For the past years I've learned all I know from forums and videos.

I finally feel that I start to get it, so started working on a text that might eventually be the document I've been looking for. However, I also feel that this should be an open project where everyone involved in drifting all over the world could comment and contribute.

At the moment there seem to be confusion about certain things. Like what techniques to use etc. Some judges say «e-brake», some say «clutch kick». Some say «you overtake, you win» and some ban overtaking. Drivers are told different things from different judges and that is something that needs to be set straight as soon as possible. I might be wrong, but I think that drifting should be as unite as possible all over the world. Of course drifting will keep evolving and changing, and some local adjustements might be required. But I think the main guidelines should still be the same.

I can only hope that this is regarded as a positive initative and that I won't get flamed. I originally wrote the text as a post, but I've removed most of the "I think..." stuff and made it as general as possible.

So here we go:

Explaining drifting
    Drifting is a new and entertaining form of motorsport, where the drivers are required to master a set course while sliding the car sideways. Drifting is the art of controling a car at high speeds far beyond the limit of it's tires. In racing, it's all about balancing the car on the edge of loosing grip. In drifting it's about balancing on the edge of loosing control...

There is a saying: «If it ain't broke, don't fix it». The Japanese guys have a very good concept that is far from broken. Drifting should obviously evolve with time, but at the moment one should be careful not to rush and change the concept too much right away. The wheel was invented a long time ago, and there's a reason why it's not square.

Track layout
    There are some features that could be the key to success. The most important one might be the fact that the event is confined to a series of corners rather than a full circuit.

Allthough this may not be the case everywhere, the basic idea is to use a combination of corners. There are several reasons why this is consider to be the best solution. First of all it's good for the spectators to see the whole layout. Keeping the event very compact will also eliminate the need for marshalls and officials all around the full track. For a drivers point of view, it's easier to learn a few corners than a full track. So by using a series of corners the drivers can focus on those corners only, thus performing better and more spectacular. The ideal drift layout allows for high entry speeds and big angles and shouldn't be too complicated. The spectators want to see huge angles and lots of smoke!

Cars
    Drift Cars are different from racecars in many ways. Allthough most top cars are professinally built, they still have the main features of a tuned road car. And that might be one of the reasons why drifting is so popular. The technical regulations should be based around the idea that a street legal car can be competitive.

A very common misunderstanding of drifting is that it's about not having grip. In fact, it's just the opposite. The more grip you have, the better. Without grip, you cannot acheive either speed nor control while pushing the car sideways. The cars are setup to have loads of grip even when going sideways so that a driver can maintain maximum control at all times.

Judging
    Judging drifting requires the ability to imagine what's going on inside the car. To be able to «feel» the car without actually being in it. Practice is very important. A judge should be watching drifting as often as possible, constantly giving scores in his/her head. In an ideal world, drifting should be judged by drivers.

Judging qualifying is pretty simple. With only one car at the time, the judges have time to look for details and errors. What point scale to use is not that important, but the most popular one seem to be the 0-100 scale from D1. Start with 100 points as the drivers enter the course, then counting down as they make mistakes or corrections. If they're a bit slow on entry, take away a couple of points. Same goes for shallow angle, corrections, missing clipping points etc. The bigger the mistake, the more points they loose. Some might say that it's stupid, because most drivers will then have 80-100 points. However, for the spectators that's a good thing. By giving all the drivers decent points you're telling the spectators that all the drivers are really good.

As for what techniques to use to get top score, there seem to be some confusion among both drivers and judges. The most confusing issue is whether or not to use the ebrake. Some say yes, some no. But the main problem is that it's treated as a yes/no question, when it's in fact quite a bit more complicated.
    Here's a part that I haven't figured out how to write without quoting myself:

Whether I drive or judge, I still have the following idea of the perfect drift. For me a perfect drift is when you get the car to maximum angle as soon, and with as much speed as possible, then I would like to see that angle maintained for as long as possible with few or no corrections. As a racing driver, I keep focusing on line and speed while at all times keep the angle. Shallow angle with high speed is not good. Netiher is full angle and low speed. It's all about finding the balance that gets the most of both.

Now back to the ebrake, I don't really care what techniques the drivers use. In fact I think naming techniques is pointless and geeky in the first place. I never, ever, use just one technique and claim it to be the right one. It's all about mixing them together, making the car do what you want. As for corner entry, I don't mind the ebrake, but if using the ebrake makes you go straight with locked rear wheels for 20 meters, I will obviously deduct points for spending to much time achieving the reqiured angle. But in combination with a flick, ebrake might do the job. However, I would rather see a clutck kick and a flick to get the car sideways, then the ebrake just to control the angle and speed. The main point is that it's not black and white.

As for the corner exits, I love to see a clutch kick as soon as possible to get the revs up and the smoke pouring. I don't like it when I driver is controlling the car with the throttle at low revs. Be aggressive. Keep the revs up and adjust with the clutch. After all, the sound is also a part of the experience and an engine at low revs sound boring...
    Twin battles
    As drifting originated in Japan, there are some unwriten rules that is important for us in the west to be aware of. One may call it a code of honor. The main thing to understand is that drifting is not a race to the finishline. It's about displaying skills.

Some series have banned overtaking, but it really shouldn't be necessary. In Japan, they have a lot more respect for eachother as drivers. For them it might be natural, and not something that requires a written rule. The western world is different though. Motorsport has always been considered a sport for the speed freaks with no fear or respect for anything. So we need to have different rules, or at least explain this to drivers.

What you might want to tell the drivers is this: «A battle is not a race to the finish line, is a battle of skill. Allthough overtaking is an advantage, it should never be forced. The driver in front is in charge at all times. He should be free to choose his line and speed without having to worry about the other driver. The driver who follows should read the leading drivers moves, adjusting to his speed and angle and try to be just a little bit better. The best way to show you have superior skills is to get close and carry the same speed with more angle and never, ever interfere with the leading driver. Get close, even alongside, but back off to let the leading driver make the transition without having to worry about a collision. Overtaking should be a result of the leading driver making a mistake. If you can overtake without risk of hitting or interfering, then fine. But by forcing an overtaking manouver, you will not automatically win.»
    I don't expect everyone to agree with all of this, but I hope it's a start and that it might eventually become the document I think we all need to unite drifting world wide. Basically this is a post for the drivers, judges and organizers out there, but feel free to comment even if you're not one of the above. And remember, this is just a draft

well i must say i do agree with the tandem part.. and most others. but course restrictions limit technique sometimes

Comment

Working...
    X