ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(LIVE Updates) NOPI Drift - Los Angeles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (LIVE Updates) NOPI Drift - Los Angeles...

I know a majority of you are in socal... For those that are not. We are LIVE from LA.

We have Pictures up from Media day now...

Top 32 Drivers List added... 12 of 16 seeded Drivers Plus an additional 17 from today will be competing for Top 16 spot tomorrow.

Comment

Course is tight. Not much acceleration room to get up to speed. High committment required to get a good run. So to say, there is no chance of backing off once you commit to the corner or you probably end up in the wall, which claimed a few cars today. But once you get the line right into the 1st turn, the rest of the course comes easy.

I didn't get a good run until the last practice session. I felt that the cooler temperature at night might have given the engine a little more power allowing me to get up to speed quicker.

In the afternoon when it was hot, I had trouble getting the car up to speed for a comfortable 3rd gear clutch kick initiation. The moment I shifted up to 3rd when turbo was still lagging a little bit, I had to initiate and that proved to be a little difficult to handle since the car was still not up to the suitable power bend. I am hoping the condition and what the car can offer me tomorrow will be some what consistent with what I experienced during the evening practice session.

Good luck to all the drivers who are driving tomorrow. Let's have some fun!!!
      Hubert Young
      KORE 8 Films

Comment

Top 16 and Top 16 rundown now up.

Comment

Congrats J.T.P!!!!!!

2nd Forrest.... (he went out with a bang!!)

3rd Kenji

4th Sherman

Comment

how bad did forrest hit? what did he hit?

Comment

he hit a water k rail thing while leading on a tandem run. like he tapped his back making him spin the other direction and hitting his front. i dunnoe how bad the damage was though. some other dude plowed straight into the same area and his car was fine, well it ran again.

Comment

Originally posted by Hach1r0k1d03 View Post
                he hit a water k rail thing while leading on a tandem run. like he tapped his back making him spin the other direction and hitting his front. i dunnoe how bad the damage was though. some other dude plowed straight into the same area and his car was fine, well it ran again.
                Forrest drove it off the course...

correction:
                Forrest did a big huge burnout in the middle of the water which had drained from the water barriers when he got off the course He smashed the headlight and some aero, but the rest of the car was pretty much fine.

Comment

Is it just me (only from the pics and video's that I've seen) or do all of the tracks for the NOPI events seem really small and tight? It seems like there's always a lot of car damage at each one of their events...? This isn't sort-of "planned" so that it's more exciting for the fans is it....?

Please understand that I'm not "poking sticks", I'm just asking from the point of view of a potential competator/car owner... I know wrecks "happen" in drifting but man, there seems to be a pattern developing here.... I mean, we do know the Water barriers and Jersey barriers that have those tapered bottoms are designed to act as ramps that roll a car back into it's own lane instead of into on-coming traffic on the highway.... right? Has this subject been brought up at any of the drivers meetings?

A lot of you have been there and I have not. Please give us your perspective?

Thanks,
                  DV
                  Last edited by DV19; 07-02-2007, 04:21 PM. Reason: corrections

Comment

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C8T9e1IF6j4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C8T9e1IF6j4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Comment

as it was stated to us at denver by a nopi official IF YOU ARE NOT READY TO CRASH YOUR CAR THEN DONT BRING IT and yes a lot of people are now talking about it

Comment

Crashes aren't just constrained to NOPI...

Rhys Millen total'd the GTO at D1 Irwindale 2 years ago. Tanner Foust crashed in practice at D1 in December, and he couldn't continue. Taka rolled the old corolla on it's side in Houston '05 and on it's roof at Irwindale '05 before totaling it at the last event of 2006. We all know that Hiro has hit many walls. Steph Papadakis has kissed a few walls with the AEM S2000, the biggest crash being at D1 when the rim / hub broke off. Dai total'd the old Pac Rim S13 in 2003. Tyler McQuarrie and Alex Pfeiffer have put a few 'dings' in the RS*R S2000. Even Nomuken had a big crash in his skyline at irwindale last year, and that's a track he's got 50+ laps on prior to that accident. How many crashes were at D1 in NJ this year?

It's not like every other run at NOPI has been a crash. The courses have been tricky, and there have been crashes for a number of reasons. Drivers are pushing the limits of their cars, the track, and the conditions, and that's leading to spins, crashes, and spectacular runs. The margin for error is very very small in our sport, and I think everyone is aware of it.
                        Last edited by Slapshotnerd; 07-02-2007, 05:28 PM.

Comment

honestly... you can look at courses like the one at the home depot center and just tell its a recipie for disaster. Any course with walls or k rails with the demand to be close will involve someone tapping or tottaly smashing into the wall.

Irwindal = Walls and K rails

Wall NJ = Walls and K rails

Chicago = K rails

Houston + K rails

Long Beach = walls and cages

If all the tracks were like Atlanta with sand or grass surounding the tracks, there would be alot less crashes...but that would bore me

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                            honestly... you can look at courses like the one at the home depot center and just tell its a recipie for disaster. Any course with walls or k rails with the demand to be close will involve someone tapping or tottaly smashing into the wall.

Irwindal = Walls and K rails

Wall NJ = Walls and K rails

Chicago = K rails

Houston + K rails

Long Beach = walls and cages

If all the tracks were like Atlanta with sand or grass surounding the tracks, there would be alot less crashes...but that would bore me
                            For the record, proximity to the wall on the entry wasn't a part of the judging criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
                              For the record, proximity to the wall on the entry wasn't a part of the judging criteria.
                              should have been IMO...

Comment

Working...
                              X