See Video of Rhys Millen's New Pro Stadium Drift Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See Video of Rhys Millen's New Pro Stadium Drift Truck

We all have our own vision of where drifting is going in the future and Rhys Millen is no exception. See Rhys and Tanner Foust take his new "Pro Stadium Drift Truck" for its maiden voyage courtesy of The Driftzone on YouTube. Sideways is one thing, how about going vertical! http://www.youtube/thedriftzone for clips, or http://www.thedriftzone.com for the complete story and a tour of the new drift truck under the skin.
    Last edited by Mediaman; 09-01-2007, 01:51 PM. Reason: spelling

That was boring.

Comment

so he wants to add jumps in drifting? I may be missing it, but that sounds stupid IMO

Comment

While everything new is always met with some skepticisim (see above posts) acceptance usually follows eventually.

Although with this concept I'm not so sure. While I love the idea of stadium drifting and think thats where the future will be...doing it in trucks with jumps?

That's a whole other crowd. The same people that are into drifting as we know it today most likely are not going to follow stadium truck drifting. While I can see how it is "new" it's still essentially Mickey Thompson Truck racing but they want to put it on asphalt.

How would it be judged? How do you judge jumps?

I guess we'll find out more about this come SEMA time.

Comment

dont we have monsterjam?

Comment

dont we have rally racing and all that type of stuff to already fill this void? stadium truck racing failed over 15 years ago and stadium truck drifting will most likely fail as well. typical americans can not relate to this form of motor sport. where as 4x4 and offroading is more realistic for your average pickup truck owner. You can find trails, dirt roads and mud almost anywhere.

I think Rhys just wants to build vehicals or something and see what can be done with them. Plus, no no-bodies can just get into this type of series and become a somebody. It looks like you would need a decent amount of money just to get started. Tube frame purpose built?? Why not base it off of mid 90's trucks like the ranger, tacoma, dakota and s10/s15 trucks? Atleast then you might get something going since there are plenty of cheap trucks to be had and some guys who already race pre-runner style could make a few mods and try to do these events?

Comment

i dunno, like i've said elsewhere i am kind of liking this idea. Think of it as the next stage in drifting, although there is 'formula drift' there is no real formula drifting like having purpose built cars from scratch built specifically to slide. The thing about drifting right now is in all other racing types it seems people have to be so consistant and so perfect and get setttings down perfectly to be able to win a race weekend. With drifting, although the settings are still precise i still dont think its near the level of even the average spec miata club races. I think the truck thing is a bit extreme although i would follow it either way it went and trucks are not bad but if you could have many different things not just a truck body, almost like a formula rally car, then it would be pretty interesting as well. I could see a big future in this sport if it launches correctly and i would see it as the next stage in drifting from fd if it does go well and is what i am thinking it is.

Comment

ehhh. i was excited when i heard about it.

watched it. different story. looked just like a baja truck with alot of horse power. i wish it would have had somewhat of an import or drifting influence. it looked dumb... tanner just kept spinning out... it was dumb.

not impressed rhys.

if all you talked about as far as sweet jumps, show us a sweet jump. dont jsut go do a donuts. I actually think it would be much cooler to see the solstice do some sweet jumps!!!

team tokyo drift needs to calm down and come back down to earth.

good luck with it though. could do some sweet monster jam demos!

Comment

It's great.

think about it like this.

Rhys and his crew know more about it than us.
                  So kudos to them for exploring the possibilities.

About tube frames, if you listen, the truck is made to withstand extremes. Unlike that old tacoma in your sister's garage.

Comment

I think it's rad!
                    Progression and it's different yet the same.

I can't ait to see it dialed in..

Comment

Originally posted by Toycoma View Post
                      stadium truck racing failed over 15 years ago
                      That's what I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Double M Star View Post

About tube frames, if you listen, the truck is made to withstand extremes. Unlike that old tacoma in your sister's garage.
                        guess you miss the point, you do not need a full tube truck to build something like this. you do not need to start from raw material. It could be built off of a production based truck frame with a real body. But what ever.

Why is it so high and why was it on offroad tires if it is going to be on pavement and artificial ramp material???

Comment

There's a difference between needing to and being able to.

They are able to.
                          They are well funded.
                          Why not do it to the hilt?
                          Why not start extreme?
                          Why not?

I didn't miss "your" point.

But you might have missed mine...
                          I'll quote me for you so you can see again what I said earlier.
                          ...Unlike that old tacoma in your sister's garage.

Comment

I love off-road trucks, they are completely badass. Looks like it's hard to hold a smooth consistent angle with that truck without spinning.

I'm kind of confused, I gather Rhys wants to do this kind of stuff in stadiums on asphalt?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eYAGrcgtEXE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eYAGrcgtEXE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W0TE4kReQgU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W0TE4kReQgU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Comment

i kinda dont understand, they want to start a series of this stuff?

i think its a cool idea and all, but i really dont see it happening. drifting you got enough poor peopel who barely get by. that looks a little more expensive to play in...

looks fun though. i think it'd be cool for purely random exhibitions or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X