• Pics from Formula D Round 6 in Wall, NJ

Over 50 pictures... 56K Beware!!!!!

Comment

did JR change engine setups? I seem to notice a carbed modular motor

Comment

jerm-

they dropped XMP, its actually ITB NA combo

Comment

They changed it before Seattle, and got 2 consecutive podiums. It's an ITB'd stroked N/A engine that Hasselgren built

Comment

WOW. i've read those tires are AWESOME !!!! gforce KD's

too bad they arent legal for competition..... i wonder who screwed up? i also wonder if anyone else isnt using the right tires.....wonders never cease

http://formulad.com/forms/24.pdf <------------list of approved tires KDW are on the list not KD!!!
            Last edited by Vosko; 09-11-2007, 06:32 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Calsonic;204822]

QUOTE]

what kind of engine is that? a f20? s2k motor? why?

Comment

This is his response for the nicoclubforums...

« 8:16 PM 9/12/2007

Hey guys this is Ben here just chiming in. Anyways ya the car was my daily driver for about 3 years or so, kept mostly stock. It had R33 wheels and really old, blown Kei Office coilovers and thats it. I didn't even do a 5 speed swap. I knew i was going to build the car in one way or another so i didn't want to waist time or money making it a 5 speed until i knew the direction the car was going(engine wise). Gary Castillo at Design Craft Fabrication where I also work had a spare S2000 2.2L engine laying around (2.2 liter engine that came stock 2004 +). So yes the engine in my Vert is the 2.2L version. So I fabed up some motor and trany mounts, Gary worked on the wiring, bolted the Disco Potato turbo that Garret supplied, stuffed everything in got a custom drive shaft made and fired it up. AEM supplied the ECU which worked like a charm. Since our shop built, tuned and maintained the RS-R S2000 we used the program from that car(also used AEM ECU) and used it for my car and the motor fired right up. We had no time to even tune the car so it went to the track without dyno tuning. But right off the trailer the car ran AWESOME. I was shocked along with a lot of other people to see that the car was amazing with no tuning and a quick alignment. I didn't do any coil over adjustment because they were the same blown Kei Office ones so i didn't even bother.

Anyway back to the engine. I chose to go with this swap for several reasons. Most important reason is reliability. Honda motors are just great engines to begin with. To give you guys an example Ill tell you a little story about the RS-R S2000. That car was used in competition use for 4 years. First driven by Alex Pfeiffer then driven by Tyler Mcquarrie. The motor used all factory internals, rods, pistons, cams and valve train. The only thing changed was a head gasket. Now in those 4 years of competition use, the only problem that car ever had was a blown head gasket. Now for those of you that know Alex he drives hard, so this motor was by no means "babied". I don't know of any SR20 that has been abused for 4 years with all factory internals and still runs with full compression pushing 400hp. Reason number 2 is the exhaust in on the passenger side, meaning no steering rack to get in the way of down pipe, I know that doesn't sound like much but its a problem many LHD S chassis have with turbos and manifolds. Number 3 is the F20 has tons of top end power thanks to Vtec. In order to get the same amount of top end from an SR you need a bigger turbo and bigger cams which means you sacrifice bottom end torque. Reason number 4 ...its different plain and simple. It gets a lot of attention and it gets more Honda fans into the sport of drifting.

Now for the final round of Formula D held at Irwindale my Vert will be sporting a new engine. It will be a 2.4L version. Gary Castillo for those that do not know writes for Import Tuner Mag and did an article on how to build a 2.4L S2000 engine using all factory Honda parts. The motor he built in that issue will be the motor were putting in the car.

Now im not here to start a F20 vs SR20 war. I just came on to give out some info on the build and to answer any question any of you might have. So feel free to ask away.

I also want to thank Adam, Jeff, Tree, Mickey, Ed and Gary for all the hard work and for helping me on this build. I couldnt of done it without you guys. I owe you all big.

Sponsors:
                Falken Tire
                Sears Auto Center/Die Hard/Craftsman
                Design Craft Fabrication
                Garret
                AEM
                Peak Performance
                Dynamic AutoSports
                Sparco
                DC Sports
                KAAZ
                Exedy
                Work
                Julius

Modified by Unclerico at 8:27 PM 9/12/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Vosko View Post
                  WOW. i've read those tires are AWESOME !!!! gforce KD's

too bad they arent legal for competition..... i wonder who screwed up? i also wonder if anyone else isnt using the right tires.....wonders never cease

http://formulad.com/forms/24.pdf <------------list of approved tires KDW are on the list not KD!!!

Who cares... I think that tire rule is mostly trash anyway

IMO you should be able to run any DOT tire thats available to the public... even hoosiers

And for real... its not like he came out and killed the competition in those illegal tires, even then there isn't that much of a debate in that aspect

Comment

^^^ yea

Comment

might as well just throw the rulebook in the trash and start drifting dirt track tube chassis cars. they are way cheaper

Comment

might as well just throw the rulebook in the trash and start drifting dirt track tube chassis cars. they are way cheaper
                        LOL, not gonna go that extreme....

But you should be able to run any street tire you want.

Comment

well, what is the point of having a pdf with *approved* tires then lol

Comment

well, what is the point of having a pdf with *approved* tires then lol
                            $$$$$$$$

They can just have a single rule stating all DOT tires can be ran... but you know...$$$$$

Comment

Working...
                            X