Possible Hyundai drift car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Hyundai drift car!

Claimed to be FR and available with two motor choices: 215hp 2.0 inline 4 turbo or 300hp 3.8 V6. They picked the Mustang as rival, but it looks like it's almost comparable to a G37. But I suppose they picked the Mustang because they know this Hyundai can beat it for sure.

Hyundai claimed it's a concept but there are actually production models spied at Hyundai marketing presentation.

Read more: http://blogs.edmunds.com/.eea07af
    Hubert Young
    KORE 8 Films

Yeah a few months back there was a test mule version of this basically just the current tiberon but fr and covered in that concept car tarp covering stuff.

I have heard rumours about hyundai wanting to get into drifting badly too.

Comment

Details were announced at the LA Auto Show yesterday.

From what I've heard, they area already talking about 1 or 2 drift cars

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
        Details were announced at the LA Auto Show yesterday.

From what I've heard, they area already talking about 1 or 2 drift cars
        Nice!!! Hope to get my hands on them soon! I think the car will look really good going sideways!
        Hubert Young
        KORE 8 Films

Comment

I actually read about this car. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm excited to see a hyundai released. There are also rumors of hyundai joining up in the WRC circut.

Comment

that and the corolla will be cool as cheap driftable cars with a waranty.

although for some reason drifting culture has embedded the logic that v6 mustangs, mustang gt's, gto, g8, camaro, etc arent drift cars, even though they are the same price as a z.

:goes to get a yellow v6 mustang convertible:

Comment

Originally posted by eomund240 View Post
              I actually read about this car. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm excited to see a hyundai released. There are also rumors of hyundai joining up in the WRC circut.
              I was thinking the exact same thing... and it looks good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubert Young View Post

Claimed to be FR and available with two motor choices: 215hp 2.0 inline 4 turbo or 300hp 3.8 V6. They picked the Mustang as rival, but it looks like it's almost comparable to a G37. But I suppose they picked the Mustang because they know this Hyundai can beat it for sure.

Hyundai claimed it's a concept but there are actually production models spied at Hyundai marketing presentation.

Read more: http://blogs.edmunds.com/.eea07af
                That is pretty much accurate. Here are the facts so far

Fact 1: There IS a production model of this car. They actually made the production model BEFORE they made this "concept." The production model will debut next year at the NYIAS.

Fact 2: This car will NOT be a Tiburon. The next get Tib will be FF. The official name for this car is still unknown.

Fact 3: Hyundai DOES want to go drifting. The top brass at North American Hyundai took a serious interest and is currently in talks with a top tier drift team about factory support. This is is pending approval from Hyundai Global.

Fact 4: A key figure from BMW North America is aware of Hyundai's plans also wants to support a drift team centered around the new 1 Series coupe. Normally the chances of something like this would be slim to none but since the 1 Series is targeted towards the younger crowd, a drift team is a real possibility granted that this person can convince the suits in Munich.

Comment

wow this is starting to turn into something big it seems with all the companies wanting in on it.

Comment

It seems I need to change my five year plan . . .

1. Buy House
                    2. Get really good at drifting
                    3. Get corporate sponsorship from either Monster, BMW or Hyundai

That's a really good looking car, but I'm not sure I'd ever buy one for personal use. Hyundai's are just permanantly stigmatized as cheap, piece of crap cars in my mind (probably unjustified, but that's how I've always seen them).

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Peters View Post
                      that and the corolla will be cool as cheap driftable cars with a waranty.

although for some reason drifting culture has embedded the logic that v6 mustangs, mustang gt's, gto, g8, camaro, etc arent drift cars, even though they are the same price as a z.

:goes to get a yellow v6 mustang convertible:
                      what about the corollla?? is toyota coming out with a rwd version or something?? more info plzz

Comment

Originally posted by Soldat View Post
                        It seems I need to change my five year plan . . .

1. Buy House
                        2. Get really good at drifting
                        3. Get corporate sponsorship from either Monster, BMW or Hyundai

That's a really good looking car, but I'm not sure I'd ever buy one for personal use. Hyundai's are just permanantly stigmatized as cheap, piece of crap cars in my mind (probably unjustified, but that's how I've always seen them).
                        It's actually not unjustified at all. I used to work at a garage and I've seen some of the crap that went wrong with them. I'm sure they are getting better all the time, but that reputation is there for a reason.

Now that they are starting to put some focus into racing and R&D, chances on them becoming better are much much higher.

Comment

Originally posted by eomund240 View Post
                          It's actually not unjustified at all. I used to work at a garage and I've seen some of the crap that went wrong with them. I'm sure they are getting better all the time, but that reputation is there for a reason.

Now that they are starting to put some focus into racing and R&D, chances on them becoming better are much much higher.
                          Well, I don't have your experience with them, so all I have to go by is just what I've heard.

Comment

this car looks dope. I read somewhere that this may possibly be the production model w/ a body kit and a bunch of aftermarket parts on it.

With the new rules for WRC going into effect next year, hopefully we will see more manufacturers getting on board. That's the FIA's hope at least.

As for BMW wanting to get into drifting; I know for a fact that they have approached some World Challenge teams about getting involved. However, those teams don't really know much about drifting; let along car setup and all the little nuances of the sport. Plus their schedule is pretty hectic w/ all the races.

Best bet to see a bmw in serious contention is if a big team like falken gets together with corporate to include a car into their lineup. of course it wouldn't be JDM enough and all the fan boys will complain. haha!

Comment

Sooo, what would this market be called, KDM?

Comment

Working...
                              X