Newbie saying hey.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie saying hey.

Hey everyone. Just joined the site, can't wait to get posting. My name's Jon, I'm 18, and live in Oklahoma. Other than my group of friends, there's really not a ton of interest in drifting in our area. I've been into drifting since late '06/early '07, but I've never done it short of sliding a few corners in my DD Blazer(One of those cost me $244...) 3 or 4 of us are saving up our money to buy dedicated drift cars to learn in. I'm taking the advice in the Beginner's Forum and sticking with what I know, prbably with a C4 Vette or 3rd-Gen F-body. There's a road course 10-15 miles away with open test-and-tunes every month.....although they may not take too kindly to a bunch of punk kids burning up tires..... http://www.hallettracing.net/ Here's a link if anyone cares. Well, thanks for having me. And I look forward to some great discussions.

Jon

good luck with a corvette of camaro.

Comment

It's always good to hear more people picking up domestics. I'm personally working on an '86 Z28. If you're really going to go the third gen camaro route, then I have a little bit of advice to throw your way if you'd like it.

In an effort to cut costs during the 80's, GM made the third gen largely out of very, very thin steel. This makes the car relatively light for it's size (my z28 weighed in right at 3,000 lbs with the spare tire and rear seat out but otherwise still stock), but it also makes it flex like a circus contortionist. Under cornering, the front struts can move up to a half inch. So I would recommend that priority one with that car would be to stiffen up the chassis as much as possible. A cage would be a excessive for a beginner, but a strut tower brace and sub-frame connectors will go a long way. Stiffening the chassis will make the car more predictabele and the more predictable your car is, the easier it is to learn. Check out Summitracing.com and you should also be able to get both for relatively cheap (about $400 shipped).

Other than that, practice, practice, practice. They have good power and those cars are a dime a dozen, so any Autozone or Pepboys will have pretty much anything you need and the junkyards will have anything else. If you want to talk to some other Camaro Drifters, there's a few on ThirdGen.org, Soultron and I here drift third gens (though I don't know how much help I can be since I'm still learning myself).
      Last edited by Soldat; 02-27-2008, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X