Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KYLE MOHAN; FINAL 4 @ Formula D Long Beach

Kyle Mohan stuns Formula Drift Long Beach with run to Final Four

April 15, 2008 (Signal Hill, Calif.) – Long Beach native Kyle Mohan surprised everyone in the Formula Drift paddock – including himself – to advance his privately-entered Mazda RX-7 into the Final Four of Sunday’s opening round of the Formula Drift Pro Championship, held on the streets of Long Beach.

After qualifying in the top-16 for the first time, Mohan advanced past Darren McNamara, who was driving his new Saturn Sky, when McNamara spun while giving chase to Mohan. In the second round, Mohan advanced past Mitsuru Haruguchi, last year’s event winner. After the two tied 7-7 in the first run, Haruguchi hit Mohan, and then spun, while following Mohan into turn eleven of the Long Beach Grand Prix course – which put Mohan into the Final Four.

In the Final Four, Mohan was matched with the runner-up in last season’s championship, Chris Forsberg. However, in the first run of the tandem, Mohan lost third gear in his Mazda, losing his drift and netting him a zero. Mohan would fall to Forsberg, and was matched against last season’s champion Tanner Foust in the consolation round. Nursing his crippled car, Mohan fell to Foust but was more than happy with his final result.

“Making the top sixteen for the first time more than made our day,” said Mohan afterwards. “But the rest of the day is almost unreal. I almost can’t believe it.

“Were it not for losing third gear, I think we may have had something more for Chris and Tanner. But they are the best drivers in this sport, and to be able to go head-to-head with them is an honor. Our Mazda did great, and the Mazdatrix engine and Cooper Tires got the job done.”

It wasn’t Mohan’s first driving exploits of the week. Earlier in the week, Mohan placed third at Drift @ Dromo, where Formula Drift drivers compete against their fans in an indoor kart track.

“I guess all the karting practice helped!” said Mohan.

Mohan will be back on the Long Beach track this weekend for the Formula Team Drift competition, which is part of the Long Beach Grand Prix weekend.

About Kyle Mohan Racing

Kyle Mohan Racing competes in the Formula Drift Pro Championship aboard a Mazda RX-7. For more information, visit the newly-redesigned www.kylemohanracing.com.

Congrats & Welcome!

Congrats to Kyle & welcome to the RETAKS Family!

Comment

he lost 3rd gear! I knew it! I didn't know it was 3rd specifically, but I knew something was wrong when he was just bangin that rev limiter halfway through the run.

Either way, grats Kyle. Even without 3rd gear he went balls out and got angry. I expect to see him on the podium at least once this year.

Comment

Working...
      X