I just cant get it down...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just cant get it down...

Its still raining over in SGV. I found an empty lot and tries to drift. I got up to 30mph then turned the wheel left, when I started to slide I counter steered an drifted for maybe like 2 Seconds then I spun out of control. I think I gave it too much throttle but I dont know. I wanted to get the opinion of the experinced drifters in this forum. Please be specific in what you guys say so I can try it. I really wnat to get one slide down.

I'm out doing the same thing every night, I like to try different lofts I like islands to drift around, as for you question, well.... there are a few things I am thinking that you may ahve done wrong so we can't tell you exactly what to do, but I have done the same thing and usually results from a bad entry angle, and how are you drifting these turns if you are useing the E-brake you might not be able to stay sideways as long as you would like without alot of practice, I have also spun out like that when I feinted too much, and depending on the type of car you drive, the moment you counter steer makes a difference, If you don't already own the drift bible go buy it, because most of what I have said here is covered by tsuchiya, good luck with the lots, I forgot to mention, one thing that helped me was going around town and snatching some road cones, not any that would hurt anyone, just some extras lying around, and I filled my car with'm and practice like that, it might help you, I know I prefer it to actual streets right now, because I just flipped my car and I have quite gotten my balls back.

Comment

countersteer faster

Comment

I drive a Miata. I Dont have any power streeing though. I think maybe when I counter its to late. I cant really monuver the car all that great without it

Comment

miatas are tuff to drift cuz its very unforgiving. do u have an open differential?

try to drift less dramatic, just like get the back coming around a little then bring right back, u will be able to hold it out longer before u have to bring back after awhile. dont get discouraged, the miata CAN be drifted, i think it just takes more skill than a 240.

my buddy in his turbo NB miata at the last event we went too....

http://www.clubfr.net/media/MiataDU.mp4
          Last edited by eric240; 02-23-2004, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Re: I just cant get it down...

Originally posted by Nismo
            Its still raining over in SGV. I found an empty lot and tries to drift. I got up to 30mph then turned the wheel left, when I started to slide I counter steered an drifted for maybe like 2 Seconds then I spun out of control. I think I gave it too much throttle but I dont know. I wanted to get the opinion of the experinced drifters in this forum. Please be specific in what you guys say so I can try it. I really wnat to get one slide down.
            ADVISE:
            Since your in California, you dont have a reason not to go to a DRIFT DAY program. Drift day got alot of instructors to give you advise on what your doing wrong. More track time, less street time. I knew a guy thats from SACRAMENTO and he drove 1am and got into the track by 6am. Just a suggestion.

Anyways:
            Miata's are alot more sping happy (such as an MR-S). Because they are short, the momentum of the tail hits a lot faster than a longer fastback (even the FC's got this potentials, but they are not as shorts as a miata). It seems your not starting with the E-brake technique, So i suggest you try that. To do this on a 90 degree turn, Enter a turn in about 20-30mph and while turning into the APEX (this would be a curve in streets equivalents) pull the ebrake as hard as you can. This will not be as violent as power over technique, that im assuming your are attempting.

So try that technique first, before power over

enjoy! be safe, and I suggest you register on the next Drift Day. The more you support this kind of organization, the more they'll offer it to the public.

Good Luck, Dont kill yoursefl!

Comment

Re: Re: I just cant get it down...

It seems your not starting with the E-brake technique, So i suggest you try that. To do this on a 90 degree turn, Enter a turn in about 20-30mph and while turning into the APEX (this would be a curve in streets equivalents) pull the ebrake as hard as you can. This will not be as violent as power over technique, that im assuming your are attempting.
              [/B]

He got to it before me. Alot of new guys try to jump right in, popping the clutch or something on a long sweeping turn in the rain. Good way to die.

Start at a 90 degree turn. preferably one with a small arc if its possible. Enter the corner and use the hand brake at the apex to get the rear end out. This will teach you counter steering.

Once you have the hang of that down. I started further back. Hand brake. car goes sideways, i employed my newly aquired counter steer skills to keep it from spinning
              it took me months to be able to use the hand brake to initiate a drift and counter steer perfectly and smoothly nearly every time.

Your not going to get this on one night of practice. You wont get it in a month most likely. Start very small and work your way up. Now i can use the hand brake in a sharp or medium turn at 50-65 miles an hour and counter steer perfectly on it. and carry it threw. I am now working on braking drifts. and transfering weight.

In the beginning i used a feint drift to help kick the rear out at low speeds in the dry.

Another thing, alot of new guys start out in the wet and expect it to be easier. I dont find it easier. I just end up not having any front tire traction. And my car spins ALOT easier. Practice in the dry. You will burn tires. you will burn them fast. its part of the game
              as you get better you will burn less. but still alot.

another tip. When i first started i really got into drifting from doing 180s to impress my friends. head down a road at about 25 miles an hour. turn the wheel all the way, when the car understeers i whipped up on the hand brake. Taught me alot about using the hand brake to kick the rear end out which sort of evolved into drifting with it.

Anyways keep at it. A miata is a good platform. truth be told there is no "easy platform" to drift with. its a skill that takes alot of practice to work with. Some cars are alitle easier then others and some drivers are alittle better then others. but just keep at it. and keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

one peice of advice...well two...KEEP IT AWAY FROM THE STREETS and then sell the miata and get a early model 240...chances are that now in this day and age that it would have an SR. Good Luck and Never give up...

Comment

GET A MONSTER MIATA! ...lolz i would luv to see someone dori in that...
                  try doing the scan. flick see if that helps... what I think also from experience is that the type of asphalt ur doing ur slides on is a pretty big difference cus my tires dont slide out as much on some asphalts....its much easy if your doing it on asphalt thats at an angel going down.... jus try new things see what happens

Comment

Yep, counter faster or run less throttle. Quicker coutersteering will get the front end up to speed with the rear, and less throttle will reduce the slide of the rear. Either or both will help you out in that situation.

I'd almost suggest a slipprier surface. Try gravel or something. You can practice at slower speeds and can get the rear end loose easier. Then it's just a matter of getting used to the feel of the drift and what happens when you apply throttle, brake, or change steering direction. How much throttle is needed? How much do I have to shift the weight to break the rear end loose? What happens when I brake? How much e-brake should I use, how long? It takes time. It's not an overnight phenominon. It takes time. There's a lot of thought and learning involved. It's a whole new way to drive.

Comment

thanx

Comment

Working...
                      X