sr20det legality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sr20det legality

ok so i wanna know if it is completely legal to swap a sr20 into a 240sx, i live in socal, if anyone has it and can help me out and tell me if it is completely legal and wise to do, i would appreciate it alot

thank you

Comepletely not Street Legal. period.

Comment

move to Minnesota where you don't have to deal with *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* smog laws. The SR20DET is illegal in all 50 states technically. But only in California will you be busted for it.

Comment

Stay in california where you can attend the d1 grand prix. write your law makers. and talk to lawyers about legality.

If motorex can make the skyline legal, then with enough legal mumbo jumbo you can make the sr20 legal

it just hasnt happened yet.

Comment

Taking into account the same idea as to getting skylines legalized, you would need to let the US government test and re test SR20DET engines until their heads blew up. Then, you would have to pay them to do these tests, plus all the legal fees to get around stuff, then you would have to make some kind of modifications to each engine that you sell legally, bringing the price of the SR to about 10000 for a legal SR20. That's following the model of the skyline.

Comment

So there you go.

Well sence the rb25 has already been tested. I wonder what it would take to make that swap legal.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
              Stay in california where you can attend the d1 grand prix. write your law makers. and talk to lawyers about legality.

If motorex can make the skyline legal, then with enough legal mumbo jumbo you can make the sr20 legal

it just hasnt happened yet.
              florida is cool bout it

Comment

You would think that the rb25 would be legal, and actually it probably is, but you gotta remember that you can only swap engines into cars that they originally came in, so you would have to swap an rb25 into a skyline, then it would be legal.

Comment

Originally posted by raging panda
                  but you gotta remember that you can only swap engines into cars that they originally came in
                  Nope. You can swap any two engines, but the one that's going in needs to be at the same level/lower in emission numbers (stock). You also have to have to take it to an emissions shop that also deals with checking engine swaps and get a certificate.

Comment

And Akira is correct. Thems the laws. There is no "written" law against swapping engines. You may swap a friggin bulldozer engine into something if you want, the problem (for you Californians mostly) is, your friendly neighborhood CARB law. That is where you have to most problems. The government could care less what engine you have in it as long as it meets the vehicle year emmisions laws. With J-spec engines it hits kinde of a grey area. Because the SR20 is from Japan where the laws are not like Cali, it has a hard time meeting emmisions. So the old the car you put it in, the better your chances are. Where I live we have none of that. Plus Ed down at Ed and sons garage wouldn't know an SR20 from a KA even if you tried to explain it to him. 4 cylinder is a 4 cylinder.

Comment

Actualy and some one just had the law posted up here a link to the DOT's website.

It started something along the lines of, you can swap the engine from a similar car of the same make with no problem. so long as there arent in different classifications based on weight.

Of course this means it has to have the right equipment. the wording of the law is confusing at best, which is why lawyers are professionals who do nothing but hammer out these specifics.

Anyways sence the skyline is now "legal" i think thats a step in the right direction especialy for the rb series swap.

Comment

If they didn't care what engine is in the car, why is everyone so worried about visual inspections? Wouldn't they just run a sniffer test? I remember reading that it has to be from the same car, I could be wrong though.

Comment

i dont know. the law is very sketchy. everyone thinks they know whats up, but i get the feeling no really does.

Comment

I know whats up where I live and they don't inspect anything. Just roll the car on the rollers and away you go. Cali can be completely different (and most probably is) but down here everything swinging d*ck redneck has a different engine in everything.

Comment

SR emissons

I live in GA. The law here states the following...

Any engine swap made must be with an engine that came with the car. So technically the SR is not for a 240.
                              Also states that by FEDERAL LAW, it is illegal to tamper with any emissions controls. Even if it is to get it to pass. Changing your catalytic converter could be against federal law. So the question is... is there any way to get an SR to pass emissions? Maybe a badass high flow cat? Seems like that would be the easist solution if its possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X