Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanner takes second

Pastrana takes gold.

Too bad tanner hit that wall.... he never got the car back in shape from there.

Sooo much good action.

Hope the big dogs at FD took notes of the weekend. Drifting could be marketed just like these sports.

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
    Hope the big dogs at FD took notes of the weekend. Drifting SHOULD be marketed just like these sports.

Sorry, had to tweak it a bit. But, seriously, why isn't there Drifting at the X Games? It has as much, if not more, of an audience as Rally does. I love Rallying, too, but I want to see Drifting at X 15 as well.
    Last edited by Justin Banner; 08-03-2008, 03:20 PM. Reason: For some reason, I was counting backwards

Comment

yeah i did wonder about how drifting could be in the x games. i mean with rally theres alot more probability for excitement like with all those different types of crashes.

with drifting now, people are so good that the only crazy thing you see is somebody pulling up real close to the lead car but then you see that every run. its like if one moto x dude does a double back flip then its super exciting and crazy but if everybody does it then you loose the excitement. rally in the x games never dissappoints. every year something super amazing but entirely different happens.

the other problem is each drift run is kinda short. maybe for a big show like x games they should make a longer drift course with a couple more corners and also just broadcast the top 8 or something kinda like how rally worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
        Hope the big dogs at FD took notes of the weekend. Drifting could be marketed just like these sports.
        Drifting already is marketed the same way its just not on the same level. The only difference is that ESPN as a WAY bigger marketing budget than Formula D does so they can't reach as far.

Drifting SHOULD be apart of the X-Games but I'll tell you the reason why Rally is there and drifting isn't.

Travis Pastrana discovered rally racing before he discovered drifting.

Travis is the one and only reason ESPN got started on the path of adding rally racing to the X-Games. He was the first major "Action Sports" athlete to cross over and bring the appeal to their crowd.

I'm pretty sure all he had to say was "it could be like moto-x but with cars" and they were sold.

It's going to be a tough sell to bring drifting into the X-games now after everyone has seen Rally cars jumping over each other and kicking up dirt.

Drifting is way fun to watch but I'm not sure it can compete with jumping and flipping cars to the general audience.

The only one who could really make a case for drifting in the X-Games is Tanner.

Comment

ESPN is well aware of drifting, and not just because of Formula D running episodes on their channel last year. X Games officials have attended at least 1 drifting event, and I believe they've been to 3 or 4. Right now, Drifting is still in its' infancy, and it still needs some time to work out a few kinks before it becomes a part of the X Games.

When Rally was first a part of the X Games 3 years ago, it was far from successful. They ran a full rally out in the desert, and they barely got 30 minutes of TV time. Since the addition of the 'head to head' arena shootout 2 years ago, it's become much more TV-friendly, and now spotlights the last day of X Games. The "over/under" jump was also a key to the success of Rally in X Games.

Drifting is side-by-side action every time, and the 30 second runs / 2 runs per matchup is VERY TV-friendly!! Formula D has gotten top 16 tandem battles down to a fine art, taking almost exactly 2 hours to complete from start to finish every single time. This format can easily be ported to live TV broadcasts, and whether that was part of the long-term plan or not, it will definitely help them in the long run!

I have a feeling that X Games will be paying very close attention to the Red Bull World Championships. I feel that the format of that event may fit well with the format of X Games. The only problem is that it would have to be moved from the end of the season to the middle of it. But, it could turn into the "all star break" kinda like how the other major sports take a break.

Drifting is being marketed very well. It's growing slowly and steadily, and it's slowly getting more attention each year. We have more support from the OEM manufacturers and non-endemic sponsors than ever before, and there are more being added every year. Rally is losing many of their sponsors to drifting, and outside of the X-games, very few drivers are actually able to make a living anymore with Rally. Pastrana / Block / Foust are definitely the 3 drivers who are carrying the sport on their backs, and Rally is a secondary sport for at least 2 of those 3 drivers.

Give it a few years. I'm pretty sure it will happen!

Comment

why do they have a co-driver for the x games? just for looks?

Comment

Originally posted by Mars View Post
              why do they have a co-driver for the x games? just for looks?
              hahaha yea. maybe if tanner's co-model actually told him there was a big wall around the corner, the outcome would have been different.

Comment

good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by ReDc0aT View Post
                  hahaha yea. maybe if tanner's co-model actually told him there was a big wall around the corner, the outcome would have been different.
                  yeah by the way they weren't talking and the tone of how she said "just drive it like you don't have it"...kinda seemed like maybe they weren't getting along very well today

Comment

Originally posted by Hach1r0k1d03 View Post
                    yeah by the way they weren't talking and the tone of how she said "just drive it like you don't have it"...kinda seemed like maybe they weren't getting along very well today
                    I dont think it was them not getting along.

I think there was something wrong with the car and when you're as analytical as Tanner is..thinking about a potential problem on the car could take away from your focus.

So I think she was basically telling him to try and pretend that there was no problem and drive the car like he would if everything was alright.
                    Last edited by MonkeySlide; 08-03-2008, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
                      I dont think it was them not getting along.

I think there was something wrong with the car and when you're as analytical as Tanner is..thinking about a potential problem on the car could take away from your focus.

So I think she was basically telling him to try and pretend that there was no problem and drive the car like he would if everything was alright.
                      well actually i think she was referring to how he was last x games when he lost use of something (i think it was the ebrake) and so he just drove it like he would if the car never had one.

what really got to me was how smooth he was in his first run against hansen compared to how he was against pastrana. with hansen you could tell he was really out to save the car. he had a perfect jump and everything was super smooth throughout. you could even see him braking slightly to not get too much air off jumps and also going into the stadium. but then when it came to going against pastrana, he went aggressive on the jump and then bumped into that wall. i think it was that jump that ruined it all. if only he mirrored his run against hansen, he wouldve been fine i think but im not sure because they didn't show the times for the final(or at least i didnt see)

Comment

I think Tanner did a good job, but I agree something look wrong with the car , slow starts and look to lack power on the pavement,,

GOOD JOB TANNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

During practice runs coming out of the stadium onto the pavement Tanner took it a little hard and actually when the car hit it took out the skid plate which in turn took out a lot of stuff.

The crew did an awesome job of putting everything back together bending some plates back, making things work and even replacing the exhaust manifold among other things. Unfortunately this was done right before the end of practice so he had to go out not testing everything.

Some things may not have been in tip top shape, but Tanner did an awesome job like always and got the Silver.

Comment

For some reason this year, the course was a car killer.

Comment

The course last year was a little bit more open(wide) for the older Subaru's as everyone was driving them.

For some reason this year the course got a little tighter...

Comment

Working...
                              X