Non-ordinary drift vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-ordinary drift vehicles

Ok, I'm planning on purchasing a new or pretty new car sometime in the next year. There are many popular drift cars, 240sx, 350z, mr2, sc300/400, miatas, I'm in the US here. Still I'm curious what else is available, for example Subarus, awd. I'm a Minnesota boy, so I've got to be able to handle winter. Also, my car is my daily driver. I also don't have lots of cash, college boy but will be working for a year to pay off loans and buy a new/pretty new car. I'm used to big cars and the room and safety they provide. In my mind, a Mazda 929 and Infinity Q45 are options. Yes I know, their big and heavy and slow around corners, not optimum drift machines. Still they're rwd and driftable and usually quite luxurious for the normal drives to town. The 929 even comes in a 5 speed and available LSD with the winter package.

I'm curious what other cars would be choices. Any suggestions?

Basically, what would be able to be both a daily driver and a drift car(recreational, not competitive)? What could handle the abuse in its stock or near stock form? I'm thinking built strong and durable here. What's relatively affordable? Under $15,000

15G's???

man, build whatever you please for that much

Comment

I understand that comment with a used car that costs $2000 stock. I'd have a fun time with an old 240sx and $13000 to spare. God knows a lot of you would get giddy over that idea.

Unfortunatly, I'm going with something quite near new and pretty close to stock. Think drift sleeper here, uncommon, not really seen.

I'll put some restrictions to the question:
      -The car must be under 5 years old.
      -It must be a good daily driver
      -It must handle normal driving and normal Minnesota weather
      -$15000 is the price range I'm staying under.
      $15000 stock -> $10,000 stock + $5000 mods
      -The car must not be a "normal" drift car

This is partially for fun. The restricitons aren't in stone but try to stay close. I want to see what you guys can come up with. Also, it's helpful to me as far as what car(even truck) choices I have available to me.
      Last edited by Drift For Food; 02-25-2004, 11:53 AM.

Comment

toyota pickup? old M3?

i'm building a doriwagon, 91 subaru legacy wagon w/STI motor-trans and RWD.

Comment

PIckups are always a choice, what I got now. I don't like the height and roll. Think a 4 door 1 ton Turbo Desse would be a good drifter? lol Subarus have always been an idea as well as Audis for their 4wd. I wouldn't mind an Audi 200 or S4(A4?) Quatro.

Comment

.... I could say something, but it's obvious by now what it'd be.....

Comment

haha soultron. Yeah Id go AWD audi or scooby if its gunna see snow. Though snow drifting seems to be pretty popular. :shrugs:

Comment

soultron:
                .... I could say something, but it's obvious by now what it'd be.....

Lol, I could guess:
                -either this post is like the hundred other which car to buy posts, kind of hope it's focused different enough to be different
                -or it could be the suggestion to buy a 240sx or rx7 and forget everything else.
                -or anything big like a 929 or Q45 or even a Camaro or Mustang would be be stupid to drift

One of those probably. The first I can understand. I'm sure which car to buy has been brought up a hundred times.

Still I'm trying to not look for the normal drifter. I'm interested rather in drift potential cars, things not normally thought of or used as drift vehicles. To get your mind a little outside of the box so to speak, try to think about drifting a semi. Lol, possible? Yes, not normal, maybe not possible, but again it makes my point on the type of thinking I want to see.

AWD's aways useful in winter. It's why I'm interested in Audi. Subaru's another. I'm just not sure who has a better awd/4wd system: actually works better, more durable, more dependable. The only thing that deters me from them is their ease of drifting. You can pretty much point the car wherever you want it to go. Rwd is more challenging. I like the feel of a rwd better. Then there's the factor of durability of the 4wd system.

Comment

there is no such thing as a normal or not normal drift car...
                  just pick somthing that you like and go with it..who cares what every else thinks..

Comment

No soultron wants u to get a chevette

Comment

Originally posted by Drift For Food
                      AWD's aways useful in winter. It's why I'm interested in Audi. Subaru's another. I'm just not sure who has a better awd/4wd system: actually works better, more durable, more dependable. The only thing that deters me from them is their ease of drifting. You can pretty much point the car wherever you want it to go. Rwd is more challenging. I like the feel of a rwd better. Then there's the factor of durability of the 4wd system.
                      Yeah, soultron tells everyone to get a chevette. hehe. Anyway, Id say scooby here cuz they have the DCCD. That way, useful in snow, and you can send (is it 64%) of the torque to the rear when you want for drifting. Ummmm...actually I dont know if you have drifted both AWD and RWD, but drifting an AWD is more challenging. RWD you stomp the gas, and out goes the tail, awd you stomp the gas, and ahead speeds your front. Countersteer is a lot more crucial and four wheel drifts are more common and there is generally a lot more speed involved. As for other AWD cars, you could always go the Rys Millen way and get an EVO. EVO=cream. As for durability, from what I hear, Subaru's drivetrain is pretty stout.

Comment

i dont think you guys understand, D1 doesnt allow 4WD...I made it RWD!

Comment

I dunno man. I would lift the under 5 year old restriction and you would have a lot more luck. For what your criteria is you are going to have a pretty hard time finding something under 5 years old. Plus you have to remember, new car...higher insurance...more expensive parts.....aftermarket parts higher as well.

I do like the idea of the Q45 though. Here is my suggestion to you. If you have 15g's to blow then blow it smartly. Buy yourself something nice as a daily, say Legacy or something to get you around in the snow. Also BMW made a 3 series that was awd. Use that to haul you around wherever you need to go. Then get yourself a beater drift car. I am a firm believer in having 2 cars. I am NEVER without at least 2 cars. I have 4 now and a motorcycle. That way you never have to rely on friends or public transportation to get where you need to go.

Get yourself an old 240, don't modify it yet and learn. That way if you join it with the wall, you aren't stranded.

Comment

I think its a bad idea if you are still learning. You WILL crash the car trying new stuff out. Why would you want to crash an expensive car? If you have that much to spend, I'd recommend you settle for the cheapest driftable car you can find to practice in. Then when you are good and you have built up your confidence, then go buy something crazy. As for what car to choose, any car can drift. Choose the one YOU like the best and take it to the next level. Just my .02.

Comment

Yea I've seen a few people start out drifting in a nice car...then after some drifting...it wasnt such a nice car anymore O_o But yea any car that is RWD has drift potential...actually all cars do...but the RWD ones have the best.

One advantage of buying a already widely used drift car is that you can copy other peoples setups. Since they have been testing them and using them for a long time. I started off with a camaro which was never used for drifting. I had to experiment and learn everything on my own. Which ended up making me go into the guard rail at 65mph a few times. (drop spindles = bad for suspension/steering geometry)

If you want a car thats within 5 years...meaning 1999 or newer...there aren't really any choices for you O_o. Now days RWD cars are rare...and especially in that price range...ever harder to find.

Comment

Working...
                              X