please post your feedback on this thread

I was sick, man.

I saw a lot of people I know.

I saw some drift.

Apparently there is a twin of me.

Comment

All in all the event was great.

Although I do have my reservations.

I've never done this before but I gotta say it. The judging was inconsistant.

Even people I was with who don't know much about drifting noticed it. During the top 32 runs two judges would always be within one or two points of each other and then the third would be like 4 points more or less than the others.

Runs where Ernie would score low Ken and Andy would score high. Runs that Ernie scored high Ken would score low. Maybe its because Ken and Andy aren't used to working with Ernie yet I dont know but the three of them don't seem to be on the same page.

Then when it came to the top 16 there were some not so great calls.

Millen vs Miki: Ok I'll admit this one was debatable. Don't get me wrong I love the Burgenholtz dudes and Ryuji but with the way Rhys fought I'd say it should have been a OMT.

Dai vs Takatori: Straight up Dai got ROBBED. Just because Takatori was able to catch up a little at the second clipping point they give him a 2 point advantage?? THEN after Dai gets all over Takatori's behind like a quarter back grinding against the headcheer leader on prom night and Takatori gets the advantage again?! "WTF?!" as Dai would say.

I'm pretty sure a ton of you will disagree but the base rumbling "booo's" that came from the grandstands when they announced Takatori as the winner should add at least SOME validity to my point.

Inconsistant judging is the kryptonite of drifting. Its the one valid point that the nay-sayers use as fuel to talk down the sport.

I know people were against this a few years ago but drifting is growning expoentially and its mainstream exposure its going to increase more and more.

I think its time to intergrate some sort of objectivity into the way things are judged. I think next year or 2010 a "drift box" type device should be intergrated into the sport.

They're already using radar guns to clock speed...why not document the angle too just so the judges can see EXACTLY what happend as far as someone "correcting" or getting "shallow"

I know people are going to hate me for saying all that but there it is.

A few other issues:

-I saw some irwindale official guy try to kick some people out of their reserved seats.

-Turn down the freakin music in the grandstands...we could barely hear J-rod over it. We dont need constant tunes either!

Thats it...everything else was great. Thank you to everyone on the Formula D staff that make this all happen every year. Thanks for the hospitality to the media and thanks for the entertainment. Keep up the good work.

Comment

I agree 100% with the music. Its is SO LOUD like REALLY LOUD!

I hope that next year they turn the music down to like a 2 from its 45678909876. Or keep it in the Clubs for the FD after party.

Comment

The speaker near the start line didn't work at all for top 16. The only way we heard scores was from the radios from the spotters to the teams.

The Opening Ceremony started late, I was getting tired of standing around. But nothing in drifting seems to run on time (although the final run started according to schedule!)

Overall, this event ran very smoothly. At the media meeting, I was thinking the day would suck because there were so many freakin "media" people there. But thankfully, it wasn't as packed as I thought it might be at the photo pits. I wish we could get more than 3 photo areas, all the photos really start to look the same.

That's about it! Great event, went as planned, I can't wait for Red Bull DWC!

Comment

LOL

Another great event at irwindale, home sweet home

Other then the music... *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* was delicious

If you think Dai got robbed, you havent been watching pro drifting long enough.

Judging was spot on!!!

Takatori was running like a panzy though, didnt really try to turn it up until he faced off with JTP.

Home sweet home

I've never done this before but I gotta say it. The judging was inconsistant.

Even people I was with who don't know much about drifting noticed it. During the top 32 runs two judges would always be within one or two points of each other and then the third would be like 4 points more or less than the others.

Runs where Ernie would score low Ken and Andy would score high. Runs that Ernie scored high Ken would score low. Maybe its because Ken and Andy aren't used to working with Ernie yet I don't know but the three of them don't seem to be on the same page.
            I mentioned this during the sonoma round... even though it wasn't as bad as sonoma, it is still there. I guess that's the beauty of judging, everyone who deserved the top 16 got into it this round unlike sonoma (Ernie scoring miki redonk high for a top 16 spot)
            Last edited by Bebop; 10-12-2008, 11:05 PM.

Comment

a lot of people showed up and I am looking forward to their nov. event

Comment

Over all a great event. And I did disagree with some of the calls as I always do.

What I really had some disagreements with were some of the scores in the solo qualifying runs, particularly with Andy. I mean when his score differs more than 4 points than the other 2 judges on many occasions, it makes you wonder if he's being biased or something. Other than that I had a good time.

Oh, and yes, the music was quite loud. It didn't bother me that much, but my Mom said if it's that loud again she wouldn't come back.

Out of idle curiosity, what exactly happened to Conrads car?

Comment

Originally posted by eomund240 View Post
                  Over all a great event. And I did disagree with some of the calls as I always do.

What I really had some disagreements with were some of the scores in the solo qualifying runs, particularly with Andy. I mean when his score differs more than 4 points than the other 2 judges on many occasions, it makes you wonder if he's being biased or something. Other than that I had a good time.

Oh, and yes, the music was quite loud. It didn't bother me that much, but my Mom said if it's that loud again she wouldn't come back.

Out of idle curiosity, what exactly happened to Conrads car?

conrad had broke diff i believe

and yea, with the indo scores quite different... it easy to leave a lot to the imagination

I'm more worried about Ernie

I trust Andy most out of all of them, his judging is true blood.

Comment

Can someone please for the love of god fix the way qualifying is run/ scored?

Why would you make it so that the drivers have 20 or 30 minutes between their two runs? Also I was seeing scores like 84.25 on the board. Where the *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* did that .25 of a point come from?

Qualifying is really my only gripe. That and having media pay for parking in the spectator areas is retarded. Otherwise, I agreed with the judges on everything.

Comment

I think judges should be seperated during indos

Like seriously, hypothetically speaking... if one judge for some reason wants a certain driver in the top 16 he will look at the other 2 judges scores and score much higher then them to get that high average over all.

Leaves waaay to much to the imagination.

Comment

I agree that the judges should be seperated during the qualies. It makes each judge more accountable for their score and keeps them from pulling the " yeah me too" thing. But I do think that all the judges are very good and each has an opinion that is slightly different about what is good and what is not.

Comment

I thought the drifting was fine. but i hate how everyone in the god damn grandstands was standing up and sitting down and standing up again for the whole freaking night. Why cant they just sit the F down and let people see!!!! well that's the only bad thing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by drifter226 View Post
                            I thought the drifting was fine. but i hate how everyone in the god damn grandstands was standing up and sitting down and standing up again for the whole freaking night. Why cant they just sit the F down and let people see!!!! well that's the only bad thing about it.
                            I agree, but that happens at almost every event so I've gotten use to it.

Comment

Really need more security in the grand stands. The place was a mess. So many people throwing things that the majority of people where not haveing a good time and would leave as soon as thier driver was out. I moved a couple of times or i would have been in jail.
                              BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

Working...
                              X