ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D1 GRAND PRIX RETURNS To The United States (2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D1 GRAND PRIX RETURNS To The United States (2009)

Didn't see INFO post this up yet so i'll post it.

"LOS ANGELES (October, 28, 2008) – As the founder of Drift Racing, D1 Grand Prix (www.d1gp.com) is announcing its official return to the United States in 2009. For the past year, the D1 Grand Prix management team has been quietly and strategically working to develop a new drift program that will deliver a high impact and energized competitive racing series to the United States, but with an all-new entertainment component that sets it apart from any other racing series in the U.S.

What will truly separate the D1GP (USA) racing series from any other drift program are the event locations that will draw larger crowds and will build a new fan base for the sport of drifting. The D1GP USA events will take place in downtown city locations that serve as a central area to the surrounding communities.

The all-new D1GP USA series will be operated by Southern California based, Driven Events. The company has licensed D1 Grand Prix USA and share a long term vision with D1GP (Japan) to produce the race programs in the United States. The license agreement also includes rights to Canada. The management team behind Driven Events includes the original founders of Hot Import Nights responsible for much of the industries growth before they sold HIN in 2004 and Imagine Media Group, producers of events such as Extreme Autofest. What this means to the industry is the events for the D1 Grand Prix USA are being hosted by industry professionals with the leadership and experience to make D1 bigger and better than it previously was.

For the past year, there have been many questions raised as to whether D1 Grand Prix would come back to the U.S. The answer has always been yes; however, the key to bringing the racing series back to U.S. soil surrounded the establishment of a new management team and the timely development of a program that would separate it from other drift racing programs already competing here.

As part of D1GP USA’s development and strategic growth, the organization will be working closely with D1GP Japan’s new President, Isao Saita. With his successful redevelopment of D1 in Japan, Mr. Saita will be an asset to ensure the racing meets the high standards of D1 which is known the world over as the pinnacle of all drift competitions.

D1GP has already been in communication with many of the current D1GP drivers in Japan and they have been building specific cars that will be shipped and stored in the U.S. to compete in the new racing program. The drivers will simply have to fly in for the events.

D1GP USA will be releasing more information on the schedule, locations, drivers and overall program in the coming months.

For more information on the D1GP USA series, please visit (www.d1gp.com), or call Driven Events at (949) 252-0155.

For media inquires please call Michael Caudill, DRIVEN Media Communications, (www.drivenontheweb.com) 951-587-9465.
    Written by Michael Caudill"

I'm optimistic

Comment

D1GP USA will be releasing more information on the schedule,............ in the coming months.
      I wonder if the schedule will be announced by SEMA

Comment

I plan on going, but with D1GP's latest attitude, it makes me almost want to boycott them.

Comment

This could be good people. Personally i've never seen D1GP live only Formula Drift.

Comment

hmm... they conned another events / marketing company to work with them. Clearly that company hasn't done their research.

D1GP has screwed staff, sponsors, drivers, and fans out of a lot in the last 5 years. I think they've cancelled twice as many events as they've actually thrown. This latest fiasco with the Red Bull World Championships shows that the organization is classless and disconnected from reality. If they announce a US "Series" again, it would be the 4th time that they've announced that a US series is coming, yet it would be the 4th time they have failed to come through.

I can't wait to hear them blame the economy and weather when things go bad again

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
              hmm... they conned another events / marketing company to work with them. Clearly that company hasn't done their research.

D1GP has screwed staff, sponsors, drivers, and fans out of a lot in the last 5 years. I think they've cancelled twice as many events as they've actually thrown. This latest fiasco with the Red Bull World Championships shows that the organization is classless and disconnected from reality. If they announce a US "Series" again, it would be the 4th time that they've announced that a US series is coming, yet it would be the 4th time they have failed to come through.

I can't wait to hear them blame the economy and weather when things go bad again
              I do not think that they can get enough US sponsors for 2009 since budgets are usually set by SEMA

I would have been great to have their drivers return this month at the Red Bull but at this point their 2009 plans would disrupt formula d's positive progress
              Last edited by hamtaro; 10-30-2008, 09:29 AM.

Comment

I'm going to enjoy going to D1 again.

Really cool cars and drivers.

Comment

Not commenting on the business side of D1, they have always put on a great show for the fans.
                  Their rules allow passing, which I think creates a lot of excitement when you see a privateer driving in a corolla passing a $100K drift car.

When the score is questionable, they play it to their advantage to get the crowd more involved, not to mention no waiting for 5-10 minutes for the score to come up.

Let's hope it'll happen this time around. Best of luck to D1.
                  Last edited by SSmith; 10-30-2008, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Hopefully D1 workout all their management issues, before dissapointing the drifting community once again. Or should i say dissapointing me...lol

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                      I'm optimistic
                      I'm not...Until they post actual dates that are verified by the venue hosting the event, I won't be suckered into this thing again.

Don't you remember, D1 said they were cancelling an event that was never officially scheduled this November 2008 in Irwindale. All over their website for months they had that event scheduled with no exact date. It wasn't even listed on Irwindale's schedule of upcoming events. Then they ended up cancelling the event which was never scheduled in the first place...hmmmmmm

If they have an event, I will be there for sure since I like D1's style of drifting. Just don't want to get my hopes up too high for D1 just yet...

Comment

hmmm... seems like D1 still has some outstanding debts with previous vendors... i wonder if the new marketing company is aware of this.

PS - I just re-read the press release, and it mentions events in 'downtown areas on city streets'... hmmm.... sounds a lot like something that FD already does. I remember another event series that was promoting events at urban venues, and they didn't do so hot either...

Comment

I'm going to enjoy going to D1 again.

Really cool cars and drivers.

as well.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Enko View Post
                            What will truly separate the D1GP (USA) racing series from any other drift program are the event locations that will draw larger crowds and will build a new fan base for the sport of drifting. The D1GP USA events will take place in downtown city locations that serve as a central area to the surrounding communities.
                            can someone explain this to me??? does this mean D1 will simply take place in busy cities?? or does it mean they will section off streets & race in the streets like some of the smaller open-wheel platforms do?? (like the champ cars)

Comment

Originally posted by threeplus10 View Post
                              can someone explain this to me??? does this mean D1 will simply take place in busy cities?? or does it mean they will section off streets & race in the streets like some of the smaller open-wheel platforms do?? (like the champ cars)
                              Quite possible that's exactly what they mean. Personally I happen to like the circut races better because seating is usually an issue at those kinds of races.

Comment

Working...
                              X